Guidelines for headers in original message

Guidelines for headers in original message

Abhijith Sethuraj
Hello,

What are the general guidelines for headers and their values that are shown in the original message of an email? I'm particularly interested in the 'Received from: foo by bar'. Do people generally append the actual servernames along with their IP addresses for all the hops? Or, do they make the mails come out from a common relay server.

Also, if it's fine to make mails come from a common relay, is it a bad idea to set $myhostname to foo.relay for all the mails from foo domain, instead of showing all the hops? I've seen people put this as $myorigin. Hence, the question.

Thanks,
Abhijith

Re: Guidelines for headers in original message

Wietse Venema
Abhijith Sethuraj:

> Hello,
>
> What are the general guidelines for headers and their values that are shown
> in the original message of an email? I'm particularly interested in the
> 'Received from: foo by bar'. Do people generally append the actual
> servernames along with their IP addresses for all the hops? Or, do they
> make the mails come out from a common relay server.
>
> Also, if it's fine to make mails come from a common relay, is it a bad idea
> to set $myhostname to foo.relay for all the mails from foo domain, instead
> of showing all the hops? I've seen people put this as $myorigin. Hence, the
> question.

This (whether or not to strip internal hops and other internal
identifiers from the message header) is a matter of local policy.

        Wietse