HOLD all incoming mails

Clement Thomas
Hi,
    We have a scheduled maintenance for around 8 to 10 hours  for our
Mail storage servers. During the downtime, we plan to HOLD all incoming
mails and release them once the storage servers are up. To our existing
smtpd restrictions, We added smtpd_end_of_data_restrictions and it
worked. (postfix version 2.8.7)

smtpd_end_of_data_restrictions = check_client_access static:HOLD

The total size of mails is expected to be around 200  to 300 GB. My
concern here is; will too many mails in HOLD queue, impact the
performance? Is it the right way to handle this use-case?

Regards,
Clement

Re: HOLD all incoming mails

Viktor Dukhovni
On Mon, Feb 03, 2014 at 07:17:56PM +0530, Clement Thomas wrote:

> The total size of mails is expected to be around 200  to 300 GB. My
> concern here is; will too many mails in HOLD queue, impact the
> performance? Is it the right way to handle this use-case?

Good email performance is generally understood to be low delivery
latency, and you're expecting 8-10 hours of latency, so it is not
clear why you are concerned about "performance".

That said, provided your disks are fast enough, and the file-system
is not full, there is no "performance" impact due to mail placed
on hold.  When you release the mail from the hold queue, you'll be
draining email quite quickly, make sure your mailstore can deal
with the load.

Re: HOLD all incoming mails

Wietse Venema
Viktor Dukhovni:

> On Mon, Feb 03, 2014 at 07:17:56PM +0530, Clement Thomas wrote:
>
> > The total size of mails is expected to be around 200  to 300 GB. My
> > concern here is; will too many mails in HOLD queue, impact the
> > performance? Is it the right way to handle this use-case?
>
> Good email performance is generally understood to be low delivery
> latency, and you're expecting 8-10 hours of latency, so it is not
> clear why you are concerned about "performance".
>
> That said, provided your disks are fast enough, and the file-system
> is not full, there is no "performance" impact due to mail placed
> on hold.  When you release the mail from the hold queue, you'll be
> draining email quite quickly, make sure your mailstore can deal
> with the load.

Watch for the email tsunami...

        Wietse