HOTMAIL rejections ?

Frank Bonnet
hello

Our site is regulary rejected by HOTMAIL/LIVE during several
days then it stop to be rejected then rejected again and so on ...

This happens ONLY with HOTMAIL

Anyone has the same trouble ?

the rejection message is like the following

host mx1.hotmail.com[65.54.244.8] said: 550 OU-002 Mail
     rejected by Windows Live Hotmail for policy reasons. Reasons for rejection
     may be related to content with spam-like characteristics or IP/domain
     reputation problems. If you are not an email/network admin please contact
     your E-mail/Internet Service Provider for help. Email/network admins,
     please visit http://postmaster.live.com for email delivery information and
     support (in reply to MAIL FROM command)

Thanks for any infos.

Re: HOTMAIL rejections ?

Ralf Hildebrandt

So what does http://postmaster.live.com yield?

--
Ralf Hildebrandt ([hidden email])          [hidden email]
Postfix - Einrichtung, Betrieb und Wartung       Tel. +49 (0)30-450 570-155
NT vs UNIX, why UNIX:   It doesn't matter how big or hot your
thing is at the moment if it doesn't stay up or perform.

Re: HOTMAIL rejections ?

Edward Klimowicz
Frank Bonnet wrote:

> hello
>
> Our site is regulary rejected by HOTMAIL/LIVE during several
> days then it stop to be rejected then rejected again and so on ...
>
> This happens ONLY with HOTMAIL
>
> Anyone has the same trouble ?
>
> the rejection message is like the following

Whatever hotmail tells you, while it may technically be relevant, I'm sure
they really don't care about.  I've had nothing but problems with
hotmail/livemail forever; I have never been able to reach a live and competent
person.  I've heard the same from many others.  In fact, I recently received a
random phone call in regards to a post I made somewhere a few years ago about
this same issue.  Ultimately, there never was any resolution for that issue,
and the fellow who contacted me out of the blue probably never got one, either.

My advice is to save your sanity, and ignore hotmail.  They cause nothing but
problems; it doesn't necessarily indicate any issue with your site or setup
(altho, I don't know enough about that to rule it out).  Don't let their
insanity make you second guess yourself.

Re: HOTMAIL rejections ?

Randy Ramsdell
Frank Bonnet wrote:

> hello
>
> Our site is regulary rejected by HOTMAIL/LIVE during several
> days then it stop to be rejected then rejected again and so on ...
>
> This happens ONLY with HOTMAIL
>
> Anyone has the same trouble ?
>
> the rejection message is like the following
>

> host mx1.hotmail.com[65.54.244.8] said: 550 OU-002 Mail
>     rejected by Windows Live Hotmail for policy reasons. Reasons for
> rejection
>     may be related to content with spam-like characteristics or IP/domain
>     reputation problems. If you are not an email/network admin please
> contact
>     your E-mail/Internet Service Provider for help. Email/network admins,
>     please visit http://postmaster.live.com for email delivery
> information and
>     support (in reply to MAIL FROM command)
>

> Thanks for any infos.
It is in the response. They think your e-mail is spam. They probably
block you then after a few days, unblock you automatically. I am not
sure why they block the e-mail since nothing is perfect and filters will
mark messages falsely. We certainly do not, but we do add modify the
subject and move messages to a spam folder so that users can check for
false positives and hopefully report those to us.

rcr

Re: HOTMAIL rejections ?

Frank Bonnet
Ralf Hildebrandt a écrit :

> * Frank Bonnet <[hidden email]>:
>> hello
>>
>> Our site is regulary rejected by HOTMAIL/LIVE during several
>> days then it stop to be rejected then rejected again and so on ...
>>
>> This happens ONLY with HOTMAIL
>>
>> Anyone has the same trouble ?
>>
>> the rejection message is like the following
>>

>> host mx1.hotmail.com[65.54.244.8] said: 550 OU-002 Mail
>>     rejected by Windows Live Hotmail for policy reasons. Reasons for rejection
>>     may be related to content with spam-like characteristics or IP/domain
>>     reputation problems. If you are not an email/network admin please contact
>>     your E-mail/Internet Service Provider for help. Email/network admins,
>>     please visit http://postmaster.live.com for email delivery information and
>>     support (in reply to MAIL FROM command)
>
> So what does http://postmaster.live.com yield?

it does not help as usual

Frank

Re: HOTMAIL rejections ?

mouss-2
Frank Bonnet wrote:

> Ralf Hildebrandt a écrit :
>> * Frank Bonnet <[hidden email]>:
>>> hello
>>>
>>> Our site is regulary rejected by HOTMAIL/LIVE during several
>>> days then it stop to be rejected then rejected again and so on ...
>>>
>>> This happens ONLY with HOTMAIL
>>>
>>> Anyone has the same trouble ?
>>>
>>> the rejection message is like the following
>>>

>>> host mx1.hotmail.com[65.54.244.8] said: 550 OU-002 Mail
>>>     rejected by Windows Live Hotmail for policy reasons. Reasons for
>>> rejection
>>>     may be related to content with spam-like characteristics or
>>> IP/domain
>>>     reputation problems. If you are not an email/network admin
>>> please contact
>>>     your E-mail/Internet Service Provider for help. Email/network
>>> admins,
>>>     please visit http://postmaster.live.com for email delivery
>>> information and
>>>     support (in reply to MAIL FROM command)
>>
>> So what does http://postmaster.live.com yield?
>>

> it does not help as usual

you send mail from secure.esiee.fr

$ host secure.esiee.fr
secure.esiee.fr has address 147.215.1.19

and you have
$ host -t txt esiee.fr
esiee.fr descriptive text "v=spf1 mx a:mail.esiee.fr ~all"
$ host mx1.esiee.fr
mx1.esiee.fr has address 147.215.1.35
$ host mail.esiee.fr
mail.esiee.fr has address 147.215.1.3

where is 147.215.1.19?

anyway, hotmail own their server and they do what they want. we cannot
help much even if yoy get your SPF right. note that they cache
reputation results, so changing your dns infos may not help.

Re: HOTMAIL rejections ?

David Rees
On Tue, Jun 24, 2008 at 6:20 AM, Frank Bonnet <[hidden email]> wrote:
> host mx1.hotmail.com[65.54.244.8] said: 550 OU-002 Mail
>    rejected by Windows Live Hotmail for policy reasons. Reasons for
> rejection
>    may be related to content with spam-like characteristics or IP/domain
>    reputation problems. If you are not an email/network admin please contact
>    your E-mail/Internet Service Provider for help. Email/network admins,
>    please visit http://postmaster.live.com for email delivery information
> and
>    support (in reply to MAIL FROM command)

As the other say, Hotmail is a PITA. We recently moved a mail server
to a different IP address (only moved it to an adjancent IP address!)
and found that the mail to hotmail was failing with the message above,
but also a handful of other servers were rejecting mail with the code
554 and message "Client host rejected: You are not allowed to connect.
  (port 25)"

We sent an email to Hotmail through their support form (found at the
postmaster.live.com link) and they got back to us in less than 24
hours telling us this:

"We have identified that messages from your IP (x.x.x.x) are being
blocked based on the recommendations of the Symantec Brightmail  as
traffic/e-mail originating from your IP matched characteristics of
recent spam attacks from compromised, or 'zombie' infected, machines."

But the funny thing is that the IP we are now using has not been used
to send mail in years, and we deliberately only allow mail to be
relayed through one host to avoid problems from infected PCs.

I have not been able to figure out how to contact Symantec to find out
why an IP address has been blacklisted by their Brightmail system.
Afterall, if I really do have a zombie spamming people, I want to
know!

Anyway, after contacting Hotmail and making sure we have valid SPF
records set up, things seem to be getting delivered to Hotmail OK now.

I never recommend Hotmail to anyone who wants reliable email, though
they are good for throwaway accounts.

-Dave

Re: HOTMAIL rejections ?

Jittinan Suwanrueangsri
Randy Ramsdell wrote:

> Frank Bonnet wrote:
>> hello
>>
>> Our site is regulary rejected by HOTMAIL/LIVE during several
>> days then it stop to be rejected then rejected again and so on ...
>>
>> This happens ONLY with HOTMAIL
>>
>> Anyone has the same trouble ?
>>
>> the rejection message is like the following
>>

>> host mx1.hotmail.com[65.54.244.8] said: 550 OU-002 Mail
>>     rejected by Windows Live Hotmail for policy reasons. Reasons for
>> rejection
>>     may be related to content with spam-like characteristics or
>> IP/domain
>>     reputation problems. If you are not an email/network admin please
>> contact
>>     your E-mail/Internet Service Provider for help. Email/network
>> admins,
>>     please visit http://postmaster.live.com for email delivery
>> information and
>>     support (in reply to MAIL FROM command)
>>

>> Thanks for any infos.
> It is in the response. They think your e-mail is spam. They probably
> block you then after a few days, unblock you automatically. I am not
> sure why they block the e-mail since nothing is perfect and filters
> will mark messages falsely. We certainly do not, but we do add modify
> the subject and move messages to a spam folder so that users can check
> for false positives and hopefully report those to us.
>
> rcr

I used to have same problem like yours.Hotmail reject emails from our
mail server they think our mail servers are not reliable.we fix these by
add reverse mapping for our mail server 's IP and add SPF record for our
domain in dns.It make our server more  reliable  and  hotmail will
calculate scrore for our server
higher than before.Now we don't have any problems with hotmail.

Jittinan Suwanrueangsri

Re: HOTMAIL rejections ?

Linux Addict
Frank Bonnet wrote:

> hello
>
> Our site is regulary rejected by HOTMAIL/LIVE during several
> days then it stop to be rejected then rejected again and so on ...
>
> This happens ONLY with HOTMAIL
>
> Anyone has the same trouble ?
>
> the rejection message is like the following
>

> host mx1.hotmail.com[65.54.244.8] said: 550 OU-002 Mail
>     rejected by Windows Live Hotmail for policy reasons. Reasons for
> rejection
>     may be related to content with spam-like characteristics or IP/domain
>     reputation problems. If you are not an email/network admin please
> contact
>     your E-mail/Internet Service Provider for help. Email/network admins,
>     please visit http://postmaster.live.com for email delivery
> information and
>     support (in reply to MAIL FROM command)
>

> Thanks for any infos.

Did you published your spf and sender id records? I had same issues and
worked MS guys. Hotmail uses sender id very similar to spf. You can
generate sender id records on MS Site.

Hit this link, you should have all you need.

http://www.clickz.com/showPage.html?page=3627253

~LA