Header-Name: capitalization

Michael Fox

I’m working on a milter that checks for certain headers.  The RFCs specify header names with specific capitalization.  For example:  “Message-ID”.  I don’t see anything the RFCs that indicates that alternate capitalization should be accepted, such as “Message-Id”.  But perhaps I missed it.

So, I wonder: is it safe to match ONLY on the exact capitalization specified in the RFCs, or should header name matching be done in a case-insensitive manner.

Thanks,

Michael

Re: Header-Name: capitalization

Viktor Dukhovni

> On Nov 15, 2017, at 12:11 AM, Michael Fox <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I’m working on a milter that checks for certain headers.  The RFCs specify header names with specific capitalization.  For example:  “Message-ID”.  I don’t see anything the RFCs that indicates that alternate capitalization should be accepted, such as “Message-Id”.  But perhaps I missed it.
>
> So, I wonder: is it safe to match ONLY on the exact capitalization specified in the RFCs, or should header name matching be done in a case-insensitive manner.

RE: Header-Name: capitalization

Michael Fox

> https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5322#section-1.2.2

Ah!  Thanks Viktor.