Helo command rejected: need fully-qualified hostname

Helo command rejected: need fully-qualified hostname

Hungry Snail
Hi Guys,

I am having an issue when I set the following in my main.cf

reject_non_fqdn_hostname

It allows me to send via webmail, but when trying to send via an email client it gives this error.

"The rejected e-mail address was 'email@hotmail.com'. Subject '', Account: 'email.server.co.uk', Server: 'email.server.co.uk', Protocol: SMTP, Server Response: '504 5.5.2 <MyPC>: Helo command rejected: need fully-qualified hostname', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 504, Error Number: 0x800CCC79"

The MX record s set correctly via the DNS Zone file, a valid PTR record has been added and traceroutes resolve to the correct domain name when i trace the IP.

The server hostname reports correctly email.server.jolt.co.uk

Any ideas?

Many thanks

Re: Helo command rejected: need fully-qualified hostname

Wietse Venema
Hungry Snail:

> Hi Guys,
>
> I am having an issue when I set the following in my main.cf
>
> reject_non_fqdn_hostname
>
> It allows me to send via webmail, but when trying to send via an email
> client it gives this error.
>
> "The rejected e-mail address was '[hidden email]'. Subject '', Account:
> 'email.server.co.uk', Server: 'email.server.co.uk', Protocol: SMTP, Server
> Response: '504 5.5.2 <MyPC>: Helo command rejected: need fully-qualified
> hostname', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 504, Error Number:
> 0x800CCC79"

reject_non_fqdn_hostname works as documented.

        Wietse

   reject_non_fqdn_hostname)
          Reject the request when the HELO or  EHLO  hostname  is  not  in
          fully-qualified domain form, as required by the RFC.
          The  non_fqdn_reject_code  parameter specifies the response code
          to rejected requests (default: 504).

Re: Helo command rejected: need fully-qualified hostname

Victor Duchovni
On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 01:03:42PM -0700, Hungry Snail wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>
> I am having an issue when I set the following in my main.cf
>
> reject_non_fqdn_hostname

Put this *after* reject_unauth_destination. Authorized clients should
not be subjected to this restriction, especially not MSA systems.

Re: Helo command rejected: need fully-qualified hostname

Magnus Bäck
On Thursday, July 10, 2008 at 22:03 CEST,
     Hungry Snail <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am having an issue when I set the following in my main.cf
>
> reject_non_fqdn_hostname
>
> It allows me to send via webmail, but when trying to send via an email
> client it gives this error.
>
> "The rejected e-mail address was '[hidden email]'. Subject '', Account:
> 'email.server.co.uk', Server: 'email.server.co.uk', Protocol: SMTP, Server
> Response: '504 5.5.2 <MyPC>: Helo command rejected: need fully-qualified
> hostname', Port: 25, Secure(SSL): No, Server Error: 504, Error Number:
> 0x800CCC79"

Postfix is only doing what you're asking it to do, i.e. reject clients
that fail to present a fully-qualified hostname in the HELO name. If you
want to exempt local clients from this restriction, list it after a
permit_mynetworks restriction.

> The MX record s set correctly via the DNS Zone file, a valid PTR
> record has been added and traceroutes resolve to the correct domain
> name when i trace the IP.
>
> The server hostname reports correctly email.server.jolt.co.uk

Yes, but the client says "HELO MyPC". "MyPC" is not a fully-qualified
hostname.

Magnus Bäck

It worked, thanks

Hungry Snail

Victor Duchovni wrote
Put this *after* reject_unauth_destination. Authorized clients should
not be subjected to this restriction, especially not MSA systems.

Thanks for all the replies, adding reject_unauth_destination worked.

RE: It worked, thanks

kbajwa
Please do not remove the 'Subject'. Now I have no idea which post string is
this from.

Can you re-post with the original 'Subject'!

Thanks.

Kirt

Re: It worked, thanks

Victor Duchovni
On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 04:50:07PM -0600, kbajwa wrote:

> Please do not remove the 'Subject'. Now I have no idea which post string is
> this from.

Lets not have long discussions about this. Use a threaded mail client.
Over and out.

Re: It worked, thanks

Bret Busby
On Thu, 10 Jul 2008, Victor Duchovni wrote:

> Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 18:54:10 -0400
> From: Victor Duchovni <[hidden email]>
> To: kbajwa <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: It worked, thanks
>
> On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 04:50:07PM -0600, kbajwa wrote:
>
>> Please do not remove the 'Subject'. Now I have no idea which post string is
>> this from.
>>

> Lets not have long discussions about this. Use a threaded mail client.
> Over and out.
>
> --
> Viktor.
>
> Disclaimer: off-list followups get on-list replies or get ignored.
> Please do not ignore the "Reply-To" header.

> If my response solves your problem, the best way to thank me is to not
> send an "it worked, thanks" follow-up. If you must respond, please put
> "It worked, thanks" in the "Subject" so I can delete these quickly.

Also, if the message above is a message for the postfix mailing list,
how about addressing it to the postfix list.

Otherwise, why did I get the message?

It is not addressed to any list to which I subscribe, it does not have
a CC to any list to which I subscribe (but, CC'ing to mailing lists is
acting in contempt of the lists and their subscribers, and, etiquette,
anyway), and it is not addressed to me.

Or, is it just wonky mailing list or MTA software?

Messages, such as the one above, are nuisance messages, verging on
malicious, as they are clearly designed to defeat people's efforts to
filter messages, unless the messages are designed to be filtered out as
malicious messages.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

  you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
   Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
   "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
   A Trilogy In Four Parts",
   written by Douglas Adams,
   published by Pan Books, 1992

Re: It worked, thanks

mouss-2
Bret Busby wrote:

> On Thu, 10 Jul 2008, Victor Duchovni wrote:
>
>> Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 18:54:10 -0400
>> From: Victor Duchovni <[hidden email]>
>> To: kbajwa <[hidden email]>
>> Subject: Re: It worked, thanks
>>
>> On Thu, Jul 10, 2008 at 04:50:07PM -0600, kbajwa wrote:
>>
>>> Please do not remove the 'Subject'. Now I have no idea which post
>>> string is
>>> this from.
>>>

>> Lets not have long discussions about this. Use a threaded mail client.
>> Over and out.
>>
>> --
>>     Viktor.
>>
>> Disclaimer: off-list followups get on-list replies or get ignored.
>> Please do not ignore the "Reply-To" header.

>> If my response solves your problem, the best way to thank me is to not
>> send an "it worked, thanks" follow-up. If you must respond, please put
>> "It worked, thanks" in the "Subject" so I can delete these quickly.
>>

> Also, if the message above is a message for the postfix mailing list,
> how about addressing it to the postfix list.
>
> Otherwise, why did I get the message?

In SMTP, mail is routed based on the _envelope_, not the headers.

> It is not addressed to any list to which I subscribe, it does not have
> a CC to any list to which I subscribe (but, CC'ing to mailing lists is
> acting in contempt of the lists and their subscribers, and, etiquette,
> anyway), and it is not addressed to me.

what are you talking about?

> Or, is it just wonky mailing list or MTA software?

What are you talking about? If you are surprised to receive mail without
your address or a list address in To/Cc headers, then you need to learn
how smtp works.

> Messages, such as the one above, are nuisance messages, verging on
> malicious, as they are clearly designed to defeat people's efforts to
> filter messages, unless the messages are designed to be filtered out
> as malicious messages.

filtering mailing list messages using From, Reply-To, To, Cc and/or
Subject is ineffective. use List headers instead:

postfix-users messages have the following headers

Sender: [hidden email]

Alternatively, use the envelope sender
        <[hidden email]>
if it is available to your filtering software (generally in the return-Path header).