Hi.how to set up "bounce unix - - n - 0 bounce" by using Postconf

Hi.how to set up "bounce unix - - n - 0 bounce" by using Postconf

feier8097
I have searched for many documents. But can not set "bounce unix - - n - 0
bounce" in master.cf by using Postconf correcttly.
What is the command of setting "bounce unix - - n - 0 bounce" to "bounce
unix - - n - 0 discard" By Postconf?
thank you.

Re: Hi.how to set up "bounce unix - - n - 0 bounce" by using Postconf

Viktor Dukhovni
On Tue, Sep 24, 2019 at 08:06:48PM -0700, feier8097 wrote:

> I have searched for many documents. But can not set "bounce unix - - n - 0
> bounce" in master.cf by using Postconf correcttly.

The services:

    bounce    unix  -       -       n       -       0       bounce
    defer     unix  -       -       n       -       0       bounce
    trace     unix  -       -       n       -       0       bounce

are internal Postfix services, and are NOT delivery agents.  They
are needed for the proper operation of Postfix, and you're not
expected to (you're expect not to) change these.

> What is the command of setting "bounce unix - - n - 0 bounce" to "bounce
> unix - - n - 0 discard" By Postconf?

On the other hand, "discard" is a delivery agent, and so cannot
replace the "bounce" service or vice versa.  The Postfix delivery
agents are:

    smtp      unix  -       -       n       -       -       smtp
    relay     unix  -       -       n       -       -       smtp
    #       -o smtp_helo_timeout=5 -o smtp_connect_timeout=5
    error     unix  -       -       n       -       -       error
    retry     unix  -       -       n       -       -       error
    discard   unix  -       -       n       -       -       discard
    local     unix  -       n       n       -       -       local
    virtual   unix  -       n       n       -       -       virtual
    lmtp      unix  -       -       n       -       -       lmtp
    somepipe  unix  -       n       n       -       -       pipe
      flags=DRhu user=luser argv=/usr/bin/somepipe -- ${recipient}

Handled via local(8), virtual(8), smtp(8), lmtp(8), pipe(8), error(8)
and discard(8).

Re: Hi.how to set up "bounce unix - - n - 0 bounce" by using Postconf

feier8097
thanks for your help. But I want to change "bounce" to "discard". Beacause
When user sent mail to accunt without exist on the server. The postfix
system will return back an email with  subject "Undelivered Mail Returned to
Sender" Automatic. But I don't want it send this message. So I searched
google and found just set "bounce unix - - n - 0 bounce" to "bounce unix - -
n - 0 discard" can solve this problem.I've check it
being Correct.
And I have mounts of multi-instances, I want to change the parameter by like
"postconf ... ..." or something else,But not by "vi -c /etc/postfix...".

Re: Hi.how to set up "bounce unix - - n - 0 bounce" by using Postconf

Viktor Dukhovni

> On Sep 26, 2019, at 2:24 AM, feier8097 <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> thanks for your help. But I want to change "bounce" to "discard".

You DO NOT want to change the master.cf entry.

> Because
> When user sent mail to accunt without exist on the server. The postfix
> system will return back an email with  subject "Undelivered Mail Returned to
> Sender" Automatic.

Don't accept messages to invalid recipients, implement recipient validation.
Then you can run a properly working MTA, that does not (attempt to) throw
away legitimate bounce messages.

> But I don't want it send this message.

That's solving the wrong problem, instead reject mail to non-existent
recipients before it enters your queue.

> So I searched
> google and found just set "bounce unix - - n - 0 bounce" to "bounce unix - -
> n - 0 discard" can solve this problem.

The ignoramus who suggested that solution must be ignored.
There's plenty of bad advice on the Internet.

> I've check it being Correct.

It is not.

> And I have mounts of multi-instances, I want to change the parameter by like
> "postconf ... ..." or something else,But not by "vi -c /etc/postfix...".

Postfix supports programmatic changes to main.cf and master.cf,
but first you have to know what you're doing.  Cargo-culting a
misguided how-to will not solve your problem...

Re: Hi.how to set up "bounce unix - - n - 0 bounce" by using Postconf

feier8097
Thanks for your suggest again. "bounce unix - - n - 0 discard" is fit for my
own system. I have trouble with how to set it by "postconf.." not "vi
/etc/...".  or disable the NDR responses from the system.

Re: Hi.how to set up "bounce unix - - n - 0 bounce" by using Postconf

Viktor Dukhovni
I REPEAT.  Setting the bounce(8) internal service to be handled
by a fundamentally incompatible discard(8) delivery agent is
wrong, and I hope and expect that nobody on this list will
give you any help to misconfigure your system in this way.

> On Sep 26, 2019, at 2:46 AM, feier8097 <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thanks for your suggest again. "bounce unix - - n - 0 discard" is fit for my
> own system. I have trouble with how to set it by "postconf.." not "vi
> /etc/...".  or disable the NDR responses from the system.

If on other hand you want actual help to avoid unwanted bounces,
you'd be wise to stop asking about how to damage your master.cf
file and instead describe how the mail that ultimately bounces
enters your system (from authenticated users outbound to remote
addresses or external senders inbound to local, but non-existent
addresses).

You should also provide some configuration information, as
described in

Re: Hi.how to set up "bounce unix - - n - 0 bounce" by using Postconf

Matus UHLAR - fantomas
On 25.09.19 23:24, feier8097 wrote:
>thanks for your help. But I want to change "bounce" to "discard". Beacause
>When user sent mail to accunt without exist on the server.

put:

smtpd_reject_unlisted_recipient=yes
smtpd_reject_unlisted_sender=yes

into main.cf. This way your users will NOT send accounts that to not exist.

you really should follow Victor's advice, so you next problem won't be
"my mail is being lost" or similar.
"The box said 'Requires Windows 95 or better', so I bought a Macintosh".

Re: Hi.how to set up "bounce unix - - n - 0 bounce" by using Postconf

@lbutlr
On Sep 26, 2019, at 00:18, feier8097 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The postfix system will return back an email with  subject "Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender"

No, ALL mail servers will do this if they cannot deliver mail they accepted.

> But I don't want it send this message.

Then do not accept mail you cannot deliver or don’t run a mail server. Swallowing undelivered mail without notifications is an evil best left to companies like Verizon (which has done this in the past).