How Can I Tell How Postfix Was Installed?

How Can I Tell How Postfix Was Installed?

Blake Carver
I'm trying to help someone with Postfix, and it looks like this one is
a few versions behind. They say that they're not sure if it was
isntalled Via RPM or a source tarball. This is a RHEL5 server. It's
set up to use Dovecot and MySQL. There are RPMs listed as installed
(rpm -qa) but I don't know how I can tell what was used to install the
currently used set up. (also asking on the Dovecot list)

Thanks
Blake

Re: How Can I Tell How Postfix Was Installed?

Wietse Venema
Blake Carver:
> I'm trying to help someone with Postfix, and it looks like this one is
> a few versions behind. They say that they're not sure if it was
> isntalled Via RPM or a source tarball. This is a RHEL5 server. It's
> set up to use Dovecot and MySQL. There are RPMs listed as installed
> (rpm -qa) but I don't know how I can tell what was used to install the
> currently used set up. (also asking on the Dovecot list)

You can "verify" if the installed software matches the RPM package.

# rpm -qa 'postfix*'
# rpm --verify name-of-package...

Re: How Can I Tell How Postfix Was Installed?

Barney Desmond
2008/8/20 Wietse Venema <[hidden email]>:
> You can "verify" if the installed software matches the RPM package.
>
> # rpm -qa 'postfix*'
> # rpm --verify name-of-package...

If you're still stuck, you might also want to check if the files
actually belong to any package (I don't believe they will if a tarball
was used, though the system could still believe it was installed via
package (but then the package would fail verification)).

[root@yumi ~]# rpm -qf /etc/postfix/main.cf
postfix-2.3.3-2

-Barney Desmond

Re: How Can I Tell How Postfix Was Installed?

Blake Carver
Thanks Wietse,

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 1:29 PM, Wietse Venema <[hidden email]> wrote:
> You can "verify" if the installed software matches the RPM package.
> # rpm -qa 'postfix*'

rpm -qa 'postfix*'
postfix-2.3.3-2.el5.centos.mysql_pgsql
postfix-pflogsumm-2.3.3-2

> # rpm --verify name-of-package...

I get a bunch of "at least one of file's dependencies has changed
since prelinking" messages back on that. Here's just a few
prelink: /usr/libexec/postfix/master: at least one of file's
dependencies has changed since prelinking
S.?....T   /usr/libexec/postfix/master
prelink: /usr/libexec/postfix/nqmgr: at least one of file's
dependencies has changed since prelinking
S.?....T   /usr/libexec/postfix/nqmgr
prelink: /usr/libexec/postfix/oqmgr: at least one of file's
dependencies has changed since prelinking
S.?....T   /usr/libexec/postfix/oqmgr
prelink: /usr/libexec/postfix/pickup: at least one of file's
dependencies has changed since prelinking
S.?....T   /usr/libexec/postfix/pickup
prelink: /usr/libexec/postfix/pipe: at least one of file's
dependencies has changed since prelinking
S.?....T   /usr/libexec/postfix/pipe

Re: How Can I Tell How Postfix Was Installed?

Blake Carver
Thanks Barney, I guess I'm still stuck.

What I'm most worried about is if I don't do the upgrade properly. If
I do an RPM upgrade and it was originally installed via source will
that hurt? I've never run into this problem before and I'm not sure I
understand what will happen if I do that upgrade wrong. Is there a
safe way to do it?

rpm -qf /etc/postfix/main.cf does return this
postfix-2.3.3-2.el5.centos.mysql_pgsql

Re: How Can I Tell How Postfix Was Installed?

Blake Carver
So a few other details I've grabbed didn't provide yesterday-
These numbers don't seem to add up.
 My big question is how do I get this system upgraded without breaking it?

postconf -d | grep mail_version
mail_version = 2.4.5

and also

rpm -qa | grep postfix

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 1:20 PM, Blake Carver <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm trying to help someone with Postfix, and it looks like this one is
> a few versions behind. They say that they're not sure if it was
> isntalled Via RPM or a source tarball. This is a RHEL5 server. It's
> set up to use Dovecot and MySQL. There are RPMs listed as installed
> (rpm -qa) but I don't know how I can tell what was used to install the
> currently used set up. (also asking on the Dovecot list)

Re: How Can I Tell How Postfix Was Installed?

Charles Marcus
On 8/20/2008, Blake Carver ([hidden email]) wrote:

> So a few other details I've grabbed didn't provide yesterday-
> These numbers don't seem to add up.
>  My big question is how do I get this system upgraded without breaking it?
>
> postconf -d | grep mail_version
> mail_version = 2.4.5
>
> and also
>
> rpm -qa | grep postfix
> postfix-2.3.3-2.el5.centos.mysql_pgsql
> postfix-pflogsumm-2.3.3-2

I've seen your messages here and on the dovecot list...

although it shouyld be possible to get these two sorted, personally, I
wouldn't trust the system, I'd do a full reinstall from scratch (on a
new box, obviously)...

--

Best regards,

Charles

RE: How Can I Tell How Postfix Was Installed?

Brian Collins-3
> So a few other details I've grabbed didn't provide yesterday- These
> numbers don't seem to add up.
>  My big question is how do I get this system upgraded without breaking
> it?
>
> postconf -d | grep mail_version
> mail_version = 2.4.5
>
> and also
>
> rpm -qa | grep postfix
> postfix-2.3.3-2.el5.centos.mysql_pgsql
> postfix-pflogsumm-2.3.3-2

That would be a problem.  Looks like someone installed Postfix from a
tarball, which the RPM system knows nothing about.

There are 2 options.
1. Just get and install Postfix again.  Go to a CentOS mirror, and get
postfix-2.3.3-2.1.el5_2.i386.rpm and do a force install.

2. If you really want something newer than 2.3, build your own.  Since
CentOS doesn't provide Postfix 2.4.5 or newer, and you need an RPM
installation of Postfix, I'd recommend getting Simon Mudd's SRPM and
building it yourself.  This might not fix all your problems, since it's
possible the tarball installation put files in places different from the RPM
installation.

Frankly, if you can, I think you should rebuild the system.

--Brian

Blake Carver wrote:

> So a few other details I've grabbed didn't provide yesterday-
> These numbers don't seem to add up.
>  My big question is how do I get this system upgraded without breaking it?
>
> postconf -d | grep mail_version
> mail_version = 2.4.5
>
> and also
>
> rpm -qa | grep postfix
> postfix-2.3.3-2.el5.centos.mysql_pgsql
> postfix-pflogsumm-2.3.3-2

first remove tha package with yum (yum remove postfix postfix-logsumm)
or with rpm (rpm -e ...).

then check if you still have a postfix there. if so, remove it. to do
so, look for
- files with "postfix" in their path name: find / |grep postfix
- sbin files: /usr/[local]/sbin/post*
- manual pages
- rc scripts

once you've removed all postfix files, install the (new) package.

Re: How Can I Tell How Postfix Was Installed?

Joe-274
Blake Carver wrote:

> So a few other details I've grabbed didn't provide yesterday-
> These numbers don't seem to add up.
>  My big question is how do I get this system upgraded without breaking it?
>
> postconf -d | grep mail_version
> mail_version = 2.4.5
>
> and also
>
> rpm -qa | grep postfix
> postfix-2.3.3-2.el5.centos.mysql_pgsql
> postfix-pflogsumm-2.3.3-2

Now run "rpm -V postfix" to see the details of each file from the
original package.

Joe