How can postfix do this?

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

How can postfix do this?

helices
I am tasked to design, build and maintain a new MTA.  The company has
one special requirement, for which I'm investigating the simplest solution:

For each incoming message received, every outgoing "reply" must use the
"To:" address from the incoming received message as the "From:" address
in the outgoing reply.

This is trivial when the incoming has "To: [hidden email]," Sally
reads and replies, and the outgoing message has "From: [hidden email]"

It's trickier when the incoming has "To: [hidden email]," the MTA
delivers to an Exchange server, which distributes that message to Sally,
and Sally replies.  What is the simplest way for that outgoing message
to use "From: [hidden email]?"

Scope is roughly one hundred (100) different domains and, possibly,
thousands of combinations with various [hidden email].

Ideally, the MTA will handle all of header address processing, whatever
that process might look like.  I seek the simplest solution, regardless
how that process looks and compares to the status quo.

Please, advise. Thank you.

~Mike
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How can postfix do this?

Viktor Dukhovni
On Mon, Mar 02, 2015 at 08:56:29PM -0600, helices wrote:

> I am tasked to design, build and maintain a new MTA.  The company has one
> special requirement, for which I'm investigating the simplest solution:
>
> For each incoming message received, every outgoing "reply" must use the
> "To:" address from the incoming received message as the "From:" address in
> the outgoing reply.
>
> This is trivial when the incoming has "To: [hidden email]," Sally reads
> and replies, and the outgoing message has "From: [hidden email]"
>
> It's trickier when the incoming has "To: [hidden email]," the MTA delivers
> to an Exchange server, which distributes that message to Sally, and Sally
> replies.  What is the simplest way for that outgoing message to use "From:
> [hidden email]?"

The solution is to configure such group mailboxes as "group
mailboxes", not distribution lists.  Then the mail is not in Sally's
mailbox, but in the group mailbox.  Sally can reply to such mail,
but IIRC Exchange can be configured send group replies with the
group as the "From:" address.

> Ideally, the MTA will handle all of header address processing, whatever that
> process might look like.  I seek the simplest solution, regardless how that
> process looks and compares to the status quo.

This is NOT an MTA problem.  This is an MUA problem, and the best solution
is with Outlook and Exchange if that's your mail platform.

Ugly "solutions" for this at the MTA layer are not impossible, and
can certainly be combined with Postfix, but you'll regret doing
so.  Email tools that support "group replies" belong on the user's
desktop.

--
        Viktor.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How can postfix do this?

Viktor Dukhovni
In reply to this post by helices
On Mon, Mar 02, 2015 at 08:56:29PM -0600, helices wrote:

> For each incoming message received, every outgoing "reply" must use the
> "To:" address from the incoming received message as the "From:" address in
> the outgoing reply.

I see you're also asking the same question on the exim-users list.

And the answer there is essentially the same, it is likely possible
to kludge something together at the MTA layer (in the case of
Postfix via a suitable content-filter or milter that tags inbound
mail in such a way that replies can be identified and rewriten in
outbound mail), but regardless of which MTA you use, such a design
is fragile and ugly.

This really is a job for the MUA.  And IIRC that Outlook/Exchange
already support the requisite feature.

--
        Viktor.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Postfix RCPT TO parameters

Charles Orth
Hi All,

I have been looking at postfix 2.11.1 code base.
It appears SMFIR_ADDRCPT_PAR is for the milter to add new recipient with
parameters to the current message.
I need my milter to receive the RCPT TO parameters. Does postfix provide
support for passing these arguments to the milter?

Charles

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Postfix RCPT TO parameters

Wietse Venema
Charles Orth:
> Hi All,
>
> I have been looking at postfix 2.11.1 code base.
> It appears SMFIR_ADDRCPT_PAR is for the milter to add new recipient with
> parameters to the current message.

When the Milter application receives the END-OF-MESSAGE event, it
invokes the libmilter smfi_addrcpt_par() function, and the libmilter
library code sends an SMFIR_ADDRCPT_PAR request to the MTA.

> I need my milter to receive the RCPT TO parameters. Does postfix provide
> support for passing these arguments to the milter?

I am not aware that the protocol allows the MTA to spontaneously
send RCPT TO (or other SMTP or message) events after END-OF-MESSAGE.

        Wietse