How do I turn on logging for postfix on mac

How do I turn on logging for postfix on mac

rachalmers
I have been asked how I turn on /var/log/mail.log for postfix on a Mac running Mohave.

I have it running on mine, but it always has - but I can’t remember if I had to do anything special to turn it on.
The person asking has no /var/log/mail.log at all and now I’m curious.

thanks
robert

Re: How do I turn on logging for postfix on mac

James Brown
I’ve been having the same issue. Apple changed their logging system a few releases ago (Sierra?) to use the Unified Logging System, which logs to RAM rather than disk files.

I can create the file at /var/log/mail.log, give it correct permissions, etc, but it remains at 0 bytes.

I have managed to get some info by running this command in a terminal window:

$ log stream --predicate '(process == "smtpd") || (process == "smtp") || (process == "master")' -info

I suppose the output could be piped to mail.log.

I have heard of someone compiling Postfix an an older Mac, then moving it across to Mojave and it then logs to /var/log/mail.log.

Hopefully someone knows how to bring back the old functionality.

James.

On 8 Nov 2018, at 6:57 pm, Robert Chalmers <[hidden email]> wrote:

I have been asked how I turn on /var/log/mail.log for postfix on a Mac running Mohave.

I have it running on mine, but it always has - but I can’t remember if I had to do anything special to turn it on.
The person asking has no /var/log/mail.log at all and now I’m curious.

thanks
robert

Re: How do I turn on logging for postfix on mac

Larry Stone

> On Nov 8, 2018, at 2:42 AM, James Brown <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I’ve been having the same issue. Apple changed their logging system a few releases ago (Sierra?) to use the Unified Logging System, which logs to RAM rather than disk files.

It’s been discussed here before. And so far, no one has come up with a way to build on a current MacOS version and have it log to /var/log/mail.log.

> I have heard of someone compiling Postfix an an older Mac, then moving it across to Mojave and it then logs to /var/log/mail.log.

Viktor did suggest that a while back and it does work. I have an old Macintosh running MacOS 10.9.5 in order to support a fax modem and I do the Postfix builds on it as well.

> Hopefully someone knows how to bring back the old functionality.

So far, no. Apple knows what’s best for us. :-(

Also, please don’t top post on this list. Replies should be interleaved with the lines you are replying to.

--
Larry Stone
[hidden email]