How is master.cf processed?

Robert Moskowitz
I seem to have things running, now I am cleaning up my test setup before
building the new production server.

I perhaps got a little too fancy on modifying master.cf.  After I worked
out other packages like dovecot and roundcubemail, I started rethinking
how I alter master.cf for my needs.  It comes down to a couple questions:

I am working on the basis that this file is processed sequentially. Thus
if the file has:

submission inet n       -       n       -       -       smtpd

submission inet n       -       n       -       -       smtpd
         -o smtpd_recipient_restrictions=

the 2nd submission with its option is what is enforce.  But what if the
case changes an option or leaves out an option.  For example purposes:

submission inet n       -       n       -       -       smtpd
         -o smtpd_recipient_restrictions=permit_sasl_authenticated,reject
         -o smtpd_tls_security_level=encrypt

submission inet n       -       n       -       -       smtpd
         -o smtpd_recipient_restrictions=

In this case smtpd_recipient_restrictions is now null, but what is the
state of smtpd_tls_security_level?  back to default?

thanks

Re: How is master.cf processed?

Wietse Venema
Robert Moskowitz:

> I seem to have things running, now I am cleaning up my test setup before
> building the new production server.
>
> I perhaps got a little too fancy on modifying master.cf.  After I worked
> out other packages like dovecot and roundcubemail, I started rethinking
> how I alter master.cf for my needs.  It comes down to a couple questions:
>
> I am working on the basis that this file is processed sequentially. Thus
> if the file has:
>
> submission inet n       -       n       -       -       smtpd
>
> submission inet n       -       n       -       -       smtpd
>          -o smtpd_recipient_restrictions=

It remembers only the last line. I suppose that this is documented
somewhere, but since this is almost 20 years old, memory is a little
hazy.

On 04/07/2017 04:39 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:

> Robert Moskowitz:
>> I seem to have things running, now I am cleaning up my test setup before
>> building the new production server.
>>
>> I perhaps got a little too fancy on modifying master.cf.  After I worked
>> out other packages like dovecot and roundcubemail, I started rethinking
>> how I alter master.cf for my needs.  It comes down to a couple questions:
>>
>> I am working on the basis that this file is processed sequentially. Thus
>> if the file has:
>>
>> submission inet n       -       n       -       -       smtpd
>>
>> submission inet n       -       n       -       -       smtpd
>>           -o smtpd_recipient_restrictions=
> It remembers only the last line. I suppose that this is documented
> somewhere, but since this is almost 20 years old, memory is a little
> hazy.

And I DID actually tried to research this first before asking!  But then
my search foo is nothing to brag about...

Thanks for answering.

Wow, 20 years.  When did you 'ship' the first release of Postfix?

'95 was when I started running my own mail service.  It was on a dialup
PPP link (rust.net) on an NT server.  No recollection what the software was.

Re: How is master.cf processed?

Wietse Venema
Robert Moskowitz:

> > It remembers only the last line. I suppose that this is documented
> > somewhere, but since this is almost 20 years old, memory is a little
> > hazy.
>
> And I DID actually tried to research this first before asking!  But then
> my search foo is nothing to brag about...
>
> Thanks for answering.
>
> Wow, 20 years.  When did you 'ship' the first release of Postfix?

The oldest tarball is from middle February 1997, containing files from
late January that year.

> '95 was when I started running my own mail service.  It was on a dialup
> PPP link (rust.net) on an NT server.  No recollection what the software was.

Ah, 1995. That was the year of the Satan release.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security_Administrator_Tool_for_Analyzing_Networks