How to configure an infinite-retry for relay

How to configure an infinite-retry for relay

Paul Goyette
I have a situation where my primary/final MX server will be down for
an indefinite period of time, possibly up to a week.  During that time
I would like to have the secondary MX server to keep every message
queued, and keep on retrying, without ever "timing out" and without
sending any "undeliverable" notifications to the sender.

I've tried to find relevant configuration variables in the docs, but
haven't found anything.

Putting up a new "final" MX server really isn't an option, as I and
the server will both be in the middle of a trans-oceanic relocation.

+------------------+--------------------------+----------------------------+
| Paul Goyette     | PGP Key fingerprint:     | E-mail addresses:          |
| (Retired)        | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 | paul at whooppee dot com   |
| Kernel Developer | 0786 F758 55DE 53BA 7731 | pgoyette at netbsd dot org |
+------------------+--------------------------+----------------------------+

Re: How to configure an infinite-retry for relay

Jan P. Kessler
Hi,

> I have a situation where my primary/final MX server will be down for
> an indefinite period of time, possibly up to a week.  During that time
> I would like to have the secondary MX server to keep every message
> queued, and keep on retrying, without ever "timing out" and without
> sending any "undeliverable" notifications to the sender.

does it really have to be indefinite or would the following setting (on
the 2ndary MX) be sufficient?

     maximal_queue_lifetime = 30d

See http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#maximal_queue_lifetime for
more information.

Cheers, Jan

On Sat, 5 Jan 2019, Jan P. Kessler wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> I have a situation where my primary/final MX server will be down for
>> an indefinite period of time, possibly up to a week.  During that time
>> I would like to have the secondary MX server to keep every message
>> queued, and keep on retrying, without ever "timing out" and without
>> sending any "undeliverable" notifications to the sender.
>
> does it really have to be indefinite or would the following setting (on
> the 2ndary MX) be sufficient?
>
>      maximal_queue_lifetime = 30d
>
> See http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#maximal_queue_lifetime for
> more information.
That looks exactly like what I need.  Thanks for the pointer.

+------------------+--------------------------+----------------------------+
| Paul Goyette     | PGP Key fingerprint:     | E-mail addresses:          |
| (Retired)        | FA29 0E3B 35AF E8AE 6651 | paul at whooppee dot com   |
| Kernel Developer | 0786 F758 55DE 53BA 7731 | pgoyette at netbsd dot org |

Re: How to configure an infinite-retry for relay

Benny Pedersen-2
Jan P. Kessler skrev den 2019-01-05 13:10:

>      maximal_queue_lifetime = 30d

if that time is gone on backup mx, what should postfix then do ?,
hopefully not make a bounce