How to financially support Postfix project?

How to financially support Postfix project?

Paul Menzel
Dear Postfix folks,

Looking at the Postfix Web site [1], I couldn’t find any information if
Postfix needs financial support to ensure the maintenance and
improvement of the code.

As the background, a lot of public organizations use Postfix in their
infrastructure, and, as for example with OpenSSL, they do not pay
anything for it, but they expect that it is maintained and improved.
This is a fatal attitude in my opinion. Additionally, the administrators
normally do not need training or support, as a lot of them are quite
capable, and know their way around Postfix. Also, public organizations
getting tax payer money also have a hard time to donate money.

So, can the Postfix project be supported financially? Can “core
developers” like Wietse and Viktor be supported?

Are their companies providing support contracts, where employees are
actively supporting the Postfix development by either sending patches
(including documentation) or promising to give a certain amount of that
money to the Postfix project? I found for example credativ [2].

Kind regards,

Paul

[1] http://www.postfix.org/
[2] http://www.credativ.de/software/software%C3%BCbersicht/mail/postfix

Re: How to financially support Postfix project?

Wietse Venema
Paul Menzel:
> Dear Postfix folks,
>

> Looking at the Postfix Web site [1], I couldn?t find any information if
> Postfix needs financial support to ensure the maintenance and
> improvement of the code.

All that requires a non-profit that can accept funds, which just
takes a bit of time and money to set up (I have some experience
with US-based ones). Finding the time is the main thing. But yeah,
it needs to be done. In the mean time, an organization can donate
code by paying a contractor (for example, CNNIC paid for SMTPUTF8
support).

BTW Viktor and I are fully employed (and compensated). Work on
Postfix is permitted, but it is not part of my job.

        Wietse