How to get a more human-friendly quota bounce message

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

How to get a more human-friendly quota bounce message

Russell Jones-5
I have Postfix 2.3.3 installed, and am using standard file system quotas for users. Whenever a user receives a message and the message cannot be delivered to them due to being over quota, the following bounce messages is sent back:

[hidden email] (expanded from [hidden email]): can't create user output file


How would one go about changing "can't create user output file" to being more friendly? Such as "Quota exceeded".

Thanks!
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to get a more human-friendly quota bounce message

Sahil Tandon
On Tue, 20 Oct 2009, Russell Jones wrote:

> I have Postfix 2.3.3 installed, and am using standard file system
> quotas for users. Whenever a user receives a message and the message
> cannot be delivered to them due to being over quota, the following
> bounce messages is sent back:
>
> [hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]> (expanded from
> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>): can't create user
> output file
>
>
> How would one go about changing "can't create user output file" to
> being more friendly? Such as "Quota exceeded".

Edit the code. :-)

--
Sahil Tandon <[hidden email]>
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to get a more human-friendly quota bounce message

Russell Jones-5
Aw. That deserves a sad face :-( .

I was hoping, since you can edit bounce.cf to say what you would like, you could also edit the actual system error message.



Sahil Tandon wrote:
On Tue, 20 Oct 2009, Russell Jones wrote:

  
I have Postfix 2.3.3 installed, and am using standard file system
quotas for users. Whenever a user receives a message and the message
cannot be delivered to them due to being over quota, the following
bounce messages is sent back:

[hidden email]
[hidden email] (expanded from
[hidden email] [hidden email]): can't create user
output file


How would one go about changing "can't create user output file" to
being more friendly? Such as "Quota exceeded".
    

Edit the code. :-)

  
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to get a more human-friendly quota bounce message

Wietse Venema
In reply to this post by Russell Jones-5
Russell Jones:

> I have Postfix 2.3.3 installed, and am using standard file system quotas
> for users. Whenever a user receives a message and the message cannot be
> delivered to them due to being over quota, the following bounce messages
> is sent back:
>
> [hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]> (expanded from
> [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>): can't create user
> output file
>
>
> How would one go about changing "can't create user output file" to being
> more friendly? Such as "Quota exceeded".

The error condition "can't create user output file" was reported
by a NON-POSTFIX mail delivering program that terminated with exit
status code EX_CANTCREAT. There is no code in Postfix (2.3 or other)
that generates EX_CANTCREAT error conditions.

        Wietse
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to get a more human-friendly quota bounce message

Sahil Tandon
In reply to this post by Russell Jones-5
On Oct 20, 2009, at 11:52 PM, Russell Jones <[hidden email]> wrote:

Aw. That deserves a sad face :-( .

I was hoping, since you can edit bounce.cf to say what you would like, you could also edit the actual system error message.

Well that is what Postfix is doing: simply acting as a messenger and reporting the system error (see sys_exits.c if I recall).  You don't want to suppress this messenger functionality altogether, hence the smiley in my initial response to indicate jest. ;)


Sahil Tandon wrote:
On Tue, 20 Oct 2009, Russell Jones wrote:

  
I have Postfix 2.3.3 installed, and am using standard file system
quotas for users. Whenever a user receives a message and the message
cannot be delivered to them due to being over quota, the following
bounce messages is sent back:

[hidden email]
[hidden email]> (expanded from
[hidden email] [hidden email]>): can't create user
output file


How would one go about changing "can't create user output file" to
being more friendly? Such as "Quota exceeded".
    

Edit the code. :-)