How to get mail relay to work

paul.greene.va
Hello All,

Apologies in advance - I'm brand new to postfix; hopefully this question
won't be too newbish.

I've been given a task to get a freshly installed postfix server to
forward mail from an application - i.e. when changes are made to an
application, the application is supposed to send an email notification
to a specified email address.

There is an existing functioning postfix server that this new one is
replacing - the old one is running on redhat 6, postfix version 2.6; the
new one is running on redhat 7, postfix version 2.10.

I grepped for all of the uncommented lines in /etc/postfix/main.cf on
both the old and the new server and compared them; the configuration was
the same on both. The "relayhost = " parameter and the "mynetworks ="
parameter was the same on both

This mail server isn't being used as a general mail server where users
are communicating with each other. It's only used for applications to
send out notifications.

Besides /etc/postfix/main.cf, is there any other config files that need
to be edited to enable this mail relaying?

Paul

Re: How to get mail relay to work

D'Arcy Cain
On 2017-03-16 09:34 PM, paul.greene.va wrote:
> I've been given a task to get a freshly installed postfix server to
> forward mail from an application - i.e. when changes are made to an
> application, the application is supposed to send an email notification
> to a specified email address.

I'm not sure that this is even a Postfix question.  I assume that there
is some trigger in the application that handles changes.  That
application just needs to send an email.  Whatever mail server you are
using should be irrelevant.  In fact, you could punt elsewhere and not
have a mail server at all.

Perhaps I am not understanding the challenge.

--
D'Arcy J.M. Cain
System Administrator, Vex.Net
http://www.Vex.Net/ IM:[hidden email]
VoIP: sip:[hidden email]

Re: How to get mail relay to work

paul.greene.va
Maybe you're in an environment where you get to decide which equipment,
applications, whatever you want to use, but for some of us, this was
already decided long before we got there. We are using postfix for a
mail server, that's a given. I already admitted I'm very new to running
a mail server; this postfix mail server is not relaying email the way
its supposed to. This is a "support" mailing list, is it not? People ask
questions on a postfix support mailing list because they're trying to
figure out how to get postfix to work correctly.

On 3/16/2017 11:29 PM, D'Arcy Cain wrote:

> On 2017-03-16 09:34 PM, paul.greene.va wrote:
>> I've been given a task to get a freshly installed postfix server to
>> forward mail from an application - i.e. when changes are made to an
>> application, the application is supposed to send an email notification
>> to a specified email address.
>
> I'm not sure that this is even a Postfix question.  I assume that
> there is some trigger in the application that handles changes. That
> application just needs to send an email.  Whatever mail server you are
> using should be irrelevant.  In fact, you could punt elsewhere and not
> have a mail server at all.
>
> Perhaps I am not understanding the challenge.

Re: How to get mail relay to work

Larry Stone
Your original post did not indicate a problem you are having.

The only question you asked was "Besides /etc/postfix/main.cf, is there any other files that need to be edited to enable this mail relaying?”. Was this an oblique way of saying “it’s not working, what else do I need to change” or are you just asking what else needs to be changed? It’s not clear if you’re still setting up the new system or if you’ve tried to run it and there’s a problem.

The answer to your question is “master.cf as well as any files referenced in main.cf”.

The better way to compare the main.cf files is to do a postconf -n on both. That displays only the parameters that have been changed from their defaults. Easier than scanning through a long main.cf looking for uncommented lines.

OTOH, if you are trying to run it and it’s not working, providing more information as requested in the list’s welcome message will help. As it says there:
That includes a list of what is required.

--
Larry Stone
[hidden email]

> On Mar 17, 2017, at 7:36 AM, paul.greene.va <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Maybe you're in an environment where you get to decide which equipment, applications, whatever you want to use, but for some of us, this was already decided long before we got there. We are using postfix for a mail server, that's a given. I already admitted I'm very new to running a mail server; this postfix mail server is not relaying email the way its supposed to. This is a "support" mailing list, is it not? People ask questions on a postfix support mailing list because they're trying to figure out how to get postfix to work correctly.
>

> On 3/16/2017 11:29 PM, D'Arcy Cain wrote:
>> On 2017-03-16 09:34 PM, paul.greene.va wrote:
>>> I've been given a task to get a freshly installed postfix server to
>>> forward mail from an application - i.e. when changes are made to an
>>> application, the application is supposed to send an email notification
>>> to a specified email address.
>>
>> I'm not sure that this is even a Postfix question.  I assume that there is some trigger in the application that handles changes. That application just needs to send an email.  Whatever mail server you are using should be irrelevant.  In fact, you could punt elsewhere and not have a mail server at all.
>>
>> Perhaps I am not understanding the challenge.

Re: How to get mail relay to work

paul.greene.va:

> Hello All,
>
> Apologies in advance - I'm brand new to postfix; hopefully this question
> won't be too newbish.
>
> I've been given a task to get a freshly installed postfix server to
> forward mail from an application - i.e. when changes are made to an
> application, the application is supposed to send an email notification
> to a specified email address.
>
> There is an existing functioning postfix server that this new one is
> replacing - the old one is running on redhat 6, postfix version 2.6; the
> new one is running on redhat 7, postfix version 2.10.
>
> I grepped for all of the uncommented lines in /etc/postfix/main.cf on
> both the old and the new server and compared them; the configuration was
> the same on both. The "relayhost = " parameter and the "mynetworks ="
> parameter was the same on both

This is going to be a really slow process, unless you are willing
to invest the effort as requested in the mailing list welcome
message.

Thank you for using Postfix.

Re: How to get mail relay to work

paul.greene.va
Thank you for responding. Problem turned out to be upstream; nothing
wrong with postfix.