How to handle bounced messages?

Joakim Ohlsson

Hi,

This is first time I use this mailing-list, so please let me know if I do anything wrong.

My problem is that I want to send bounced messages to an different mail address than the mail-address in the MAIL FROM: field.

I have searched a lot on internet but can’t find any good solutions on this. I read that in earlier versions of postfix you could use “enable_errors_to” in main.cf, but this setting is removed in Postfix 2.3.

If you have a good solution on my problem, please let me know?

I use Debian with Postfix 2.3.8.

Thanks in advance!

Regards

Joakim

Re: How to handle bounced messages?

Wietse Venema
Joakim Ohlsson:
> Hi,
>
> This is first time I use this mailing-list, so please let me know if I do
> anything wrong.
>
> My problem is that I want to send bounced messages to an different mail
> address than the mail-address in the MAIL FROM: field.

This is by definition (i.e. RFC 821 and RFC 2821) the address
where delivery status notifications are sent.

Perhaps you can describe the problem you are trying to solve,
instead of describing your solution (modify bounce delivery).

SV: How to handle bounced messages?

Joakim Ohlsson
> Hi,
>
> This is first time I use this mailing-list, so please let me know if I do
> anything wrong.
>
> My problem is that I want to send bounced messages to an different mail
> address than the mail-address in the MAIL FROM: field.

This is by definition (i.e. RFC 821 and RFC 2821) the address
where delivery status notifications are sent.

Perhaps you can describe the problem you are trying to solve,
instead of describing your solution (modify bounce delivery).

        Wietse

Thank you for your respons!

My problem is that I want to receive bounced messages to a different
mail-address than the address in MAIL FROM: field. Is this even possible? As
I understand this was possible in earlier versions of Postfix but is this
possible in Postfix 2.3? Or can this be done in the mail-header with

Regards
Joakim

Re: SV: How to handle bounced messages?

Charles Marcus
On 9/5/2008 12:46 PM, Joakim Ohlsson wrote:
>>> This is first time I use this mailing-list, so please let me know if I do
>>> anything wrong.
>>>
>>> My problem is that I want to send bounced messages to an different mail
>>> address than the mail-address in the MAIL FROM: field.

>> This is by definition (i.e. RFC 821 and RFC 2821) the address
>> where delivery status notifications are sent.
>>
>> Perhaps you can describe the problem you are trying to solve,
>> instead of describing your solution (modify bounce delivery).

> Thank you for your respons!
>
> My problem is that I want to receive bounced messages to a different
> mail-address than the address in MAIL FROM: field.

Ahem... that is not a definition of a PROBLEM. That is simply an
expression of a DESIRE.

WHY do you want to do this... in other words, what is it that you think
you will accomplish by doing this?

--

Best regards,

Charles

Joakim Ohlsson wrote:

> My problem is that I want to receive bounced messages to a different
> mail-address than the address in MAIL FROM: field. Is this even possible? As
> I understand this was possible in earlier versions of Postfix but is this
> possible in Postfix 2.3? Or can this be done in the mail-header with

just change the MAIL FROM address.

$ sendmail -f [hidden email]   [hidden email]
From: Joakim <[hidden email]>
To: John Doe <[hidden email]>
Subject: blah blah

blah blah
.

will use [hidden email] as the MAIL FROM command (envelope
sender), while the recipient will see whatever From and Reply-To headers
you chose.