INBOX and NFS ?

Frank Bonnet
Hello all

I'm thinking to move all users's inboxes from local mailhub filesystem (
FreeBSD 9.0 )
to a NFS mounted directory to a NetAPP filer to take advantage of the
netapp facilities.

I use traditional MBOX format and real UNIX users  through LDAP (
pam_ldap + nss_ldap )

Actually all users's IMAP folders ( dovecot 2 ) are living in an NFS
mounted directory and it work like
a charm , but I wonder on how this would be reliable for incoming mail
that goes to INBOX users.

What would happen with postfix if it cannot access to users's mailboxes ?
( Eg : LAN down or filer stopped )

Thank you

Re: INBOX and NFS ?

Wietse Venema
Frank Bonnet:
> What would happen with postfix if it cannot access to users's mailboxes ?
> ( Eg : LAN down or filer stopped )

If the mailbox file system is hard mounted then the Postfix mail
delivery agent will hang until the LAN comes back or the filer is
rebooted. When a Postfix process hangs longer than some 1000s then
a Postfix watchdog timer will kill it.

If the mailbox file system is soft mounted then Postfix is not
supported.

If the mailbox file system is not mounted then Postfix gets a hard
error (no such file or directory, not a directory, etc.) and returns
the mail to the sender.  That would also happen with non-NFS mounts.
Don't start Postfix before all mail-related file systems are mounted,
regardless of their type.

Re: INBOX and NFS ?

Benny Pedersen
Den 2012-08-21 10:02, Frank Bonnet skrev:

> What would happen with postfix if it cannot access to users's
> mailboxes ?
> ( Eg : LAN down or filer stopped )

then it stays in queue until dovecot is ready to deliver

to see it, stop dovecot, then see what postfix do

Re: INBOX and NFS ?

Frank Bonnet
On 08/21/2012 01:32 PM, Benny Pedersen wrote:

> Den 2012-08-21 10:02, Frank Bonnet skrev:
>
>> What would happen with postfix if it cannot access to users's
>> mailboxes ?
>> ( Eg : LAN down or filer stopped )
>
> then it stays in queue until dovecot is ready to deliver
>
> to see it, stop dovecot, then see what postfix do

No I do not use Dovecot as delivery agent , I use Postfix.

Re: INBOX and NFS ?

Denis Witt-4
On 21.08.2012 10:02, Frank Bonnet wrote:

> What would happen with postfix if it cannot access to users's mailboxes ?
> ( Eg : LAN down or filer stopped )

Hi,

how are you supposed to get external Mail when your LAN is down? If
Dovecot isn't running the Mail will stay in the Postfix-Queue for some
time (regarding on your Config).

If your mountpoint isn't accessible for some reason you could stop
Dovecot to avoid that mails are bounced.

Bye.

Re: INBOX and NFS ?

Frank Bonnet
On 08/21/2012 12:56 PM, Wietse Venema wrote:

> Frank Bonnet:
>> What would happen with postfix if it cannot access to users's mailboxes ?
>> ( Eg : LAN down or filer stopped )
> If the mailbox file system is hard mounted then the Postfix mail
> delivery agent will hang until the LAN comes back or the filer is
> rebooted. When a Postfix process hangs longer than some 1000s then
> a Postfix watchdog timer will kill it.
>
> If the mailbox file system is soft mounted then Postfix is not
> supported.
>
> If the mailbox file system is not mounted then Postfix gets a hard
> error (no such file or directory, not a directory, etc.) and returns
> the mail to the sender.  That would also happen with non-NFS mounts.
> Don't start Postfix before all mail-related file systems are mounted,
> regardless of their type.
>
> Wietse

OK, well understood ,
thanks a lot Wiese :-)