IPv6 Complliance

Robert Wolfe
Hi all!

The organization I work for requires IPv6 compatibility in all new hardware and software we deploy.

The issue is is we are having an issue with Postfix 2.1 (as shipped with REL 7.4) being apparently IPv6 compatible.  Should we build this from source and use an updated release?  And if so, how new of a release should we use for IPv6 compliance?

Re: IPv6 Complliance

Richard-2

> Date: Saturday, December 09, 2017 13:37:17 -0600
> From: Robert Wolfe <[hidden email]>
>
> Hi all!
>
> The organization I work for requires IPv6 compatibility in all new
> hardware and software we deploy.
>
> The issue is is we are having an issue with Postfix 2.1 (as shipped
> with REL 7.4) being apparently IPv6 compatible.  Should we build
> this from source and use an updated release?  And if so, how new of
> a release should we use for IPv6 compliance?

I believe that the release of postfix that ships with RHEL7.4 is
likely 2.10.1, not 2.1 -- at least that is what is on centos7.4.

Re: IPv6 Complliance

Robert Wolfe
But isn't 2.10 and 2.1 the same?

On Sat, Dec 9, 2017 at 2:10 PM, Richard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Date: Saturday, December 09, 2017 13:37:17 -0600
> From: Robert Wolfe <[hidden email]>
>
> Hi all!
>
> The organization I work for requires IPv6 compatibility in all new
> hardware and software we deploy.
>
> The issue is is we are having an issue with Postfix 2.1 (as shipped
> with REL 7.4) being apparently IPv6 compatible.  Should we build
> this from source and use an updated release?  And if so, how new of
> a release should we use for IPv6 compliance?

I believe that the release of postfix that ships with RHEL7.4 is
likely 2.10.1, not 2.1 -- at least that is what is on centos7.4.

Re: IPv6 Complliance

Robert Wolfe
Or rather, AREN'T.  Sorry. :)  My grammar teacher would have had a time with this one :)

On Sat, Dec 9, 2017 at 2:31 PM, Robert Wolfe <[hidden email]> wrote:
But isn't 2.10 and 2.1 the same?

On Sat, Dec 9, 2017 at 2:10 PM, Richard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Date: Saturday, December 09, 2017 13:37:17 -0600
> From: Robert Wolfe <[hidden email]>
>
> Hi all!
>
> The organization I work for requires IPv6 compatibility in all new
> hardware and software we deploy.
>
> The issue is is we are having an issue with Postfix 2.1 (as shipped
> with REL 7.4) being apparently IPv6 compatible.  Should we build
> this from source and use an updated release?  And if so, how new of
> a release should we use for IPv6 compliance?

I believe that the release of postfix that ships with RHEL7.4 is
likely 2.10.1, not 2.1 -- at least that is what is on centos7.4.

Re: IPv6 Complliance

Richard-2

> Date: Saturday, December 09, 2017 14:31:48 -0600
> From: Robert Wolfe <[hidden email]>
>
>> On Sat, Dec 9, 2017 at 2:10 PM, Richard wrote:
>>

>> > Date: Saturday, December 09, 2017 13:37:17 -0600
>> > From: Robert Wolfe <[hidden email]>
>> >
>> > Hi all!
>> >
>> > The organization I work for requires IPv6 compatibility in all
>> > new hardware and software we deploy.
>> >
>> > The issue is is we are having an issue with Postfix 2.1 (as
>> > shipped with REL 7.4) being apparently IPv6 compatible.  Should
>> > we build this from source and use an updated release?  And if
>> > so, how new of a release should we use for IPv6 compliance?
>>
>> I believe that the release of postfix that ships with RHEL7.4 is
>> likely 2.10.1, not 2.1 -- at least that is what is on centos7.4.
>>

> But aren't 2.10 and 2.1 the same?

No. These numbers are integers, not decimals. See:

  <http://www.postfix.org/announcements.html>

for version history, back to 2008 / release 2.5.0, that might help to
clarify the release numbering.

[please don't top post (or include me directly on messages, i'm on
the list).]

Re: IPv6 Complliance

Richard-2

> Date: Saturday, December 09, 2017 20:44:37 +0000
> From: Richard <[hidden email]>
>
>> Date: Saturday, December 09, 2017 14:31:48 -0600
>> From: Robert Wolfe <[hidden email]>

>>> I believe that the release of postfix that ships with RHEL7.4 is
>>> likely 2.10.1, not 2.1 -- at least that is what is on centos7.4.
>>>

>> But aren't 2.10 and 2.1 the same?
>
> No. These numbers are integers, not decimals. See:
>
>   <http://www.postfix.org/announcements.html>
>
> for version history, back to 2008 / release 2.5.0, that might help
> to clarify the release numbering.
>
> [please don't top post (or include me directly on messages, i'm on
> the list).]

to add ... according to:

   <http://www.postfix.org/IPV6_README.html>

IPv6 support was added to postfix with 2.2, so I don't think you
should have any compliance issues with the 2.10.1 release that ships
with RHEL7.4.

Re: IPv6 Complliance

> On Dec 9, 2017, at 2:37 PM, Robert Wolfe <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> The issue is is we are having an issue with Postfix 2.1 (as shipped with REL 7.4) being apparently IPv6 compatible.  Should we build this from source and use an updated release?  And if so, how new of a release should we use for IPv6 compliance?

* RHEL 7 was released on 10-Jun-2014.
* Postfix 2.1.0 was released a decade earlier on 22-Apr-2004

By the time RHEL 7 appeared, the two most releases of Postfix
were:

        2.11.0 -- released 15/Jan/2014
        2.10.0 -- released 11/Feb/2013

So it is extremely unlikely that RHEL 7.4 ships with Postfix 2.1.
Support for IPv6 has been in Postfix for a long time prior to
RHEL 7, you should not need to build from source unless you need
some substantially more recent feature.  Which is not to say that
you shouldn't run an up-to-date Postfix, but you don't have to do
that just to get IPv6.  The current stable release is Postfix 3.2.