Is changing "Hostname" mandatory?

Jason Long
Hello,
For configuration Postfix, is changing "hostname" to something like "Mail.example.net" mandatory? For example, my server running Apache and I don't like to change its name.

Thank you.

Re: Is changing "Hostname" mandatory?

Richard-2

> Date: Wednesday, October 21, 2020 05:26:38 +0000
> From: Jason Long <[hidden email]>
>
> For configuration Postfix, is changing "hostname" to something like
> "Mail.example.net" mandatory? For example, my server running Apache
> and I don't like to change its name.

No, but the forward and reverse DNS records need to match.

>From a security perspective, I would run these services under
different VMs.

Re: Is changing "Hostname" mandatory?

Bob Proulx
Jason Long wrote:
> For configuration Postfix, is changing "hostname" to something like
> "Mail.example.net" mandatory? For example, my server running Apache
> and I don't like to change its name.

Your hostname can be almost anything you feel like completely
independent of running either Postfix or Apache servicing other names.
They are in many ways mostly unrelated.  However Postfix will need to
have some of its own configuration such as $myhostname set properly.

Bob