LMTP said: 550-Mailbox unknown or you do not have authorization to see it

LMTP said: 550-Mailbox unknown or you do not have authorization to see it

Ezsra McDonald
I am building a new mail server to replace an older EL6 server. The new server is Centos 8. I keep getting this response when trying to deliver email to a local account stored in LDAP.

host mail.example.org[/var/lib/imap/socket/lmtp] said:
550-Mailbox unknown.  Either there is no mailbox associated with this
550-name or you do not have authorization to see it.
550 5.1.1 User unknown (in reply to RCPT TO command))

I have tried replacing the new configs with my old working configs from the EL6 server but they get the same result.

a postmap -q against the LDAP table config returns the appropriate information. I am wondering if the key is the 'or you do not have authorization to see it` part of the message. What exactly does LMTP need to authorize the delivery?

Enabling verbose logging on LMTP and LDAP did not give any clues.

Any assistance is appreciated. I have been googling and hitting my head on the desk for days.

Thanks,

-Ez

Re: LMTP said: 550-Mailbox unknown or you do not have authorization to see it

Wietse Venema
Ezsra McDonald:
> I am building a new mail server to replace an older EL6 server. The new
> server is Centos 8. I keep getting this response when trying to deliver
> email to a local account stored in LDAP.
>
> host mail.example.org[/var/lib/imap/socket/lmtp] said:
> 550-Mailbox unknown.  Either there is no mailbox associated with this
> 550-name or you do not have authorization to see it.
> 550 5.1.1 User unknown (in reply to RCPT TO command))

THAT LMTP server is not Postfix. Postfix does not have an LMTP server.

        Wietse