Limit users from send X mails per hour

okahei
Hi all

I've got a situation where the local users make nasty scripts and use
them to fire-up our postfix server.

Is there a way to control this situation more elegant than reading
logs and ban that user with an entry in header_checks ?

Thanks.

Re: Limit users from send X mails per hour

Sahil Tandon
[hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've got a situation where the local users make nasty scripts and use
> them to fire-up our postfix server.

What kind of scripts?  And please define "fire-up" as you use it in the above
context.

> Is there a way to control this situation more elegant than reading
> logs and ban that user with an entry in header_checks ?

Without knowing much about the situation, try:
http://www.postfix.org/TUNING_README.html

Sahil Tandon <[hidden email]>

Re: Limit users from send X mails per hour

[hidden email]:
> Hi all
>
> I've got a situation where the local users make nasty scripts and use
> them to fire-up our postfix server.
>
> Is there a way to control this situation more elegant than reading
> logs and ban that user with an entry in header_checks ?

Then those users are in violation of your acceptable use policy.

Re: Limit users from send X mails per hour

Ramprasad-5

On Sat, 2008-06-14 at 22:00 +0200, [hidden email] wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I've got a situation where the local users make nasty scripts and use
> them to fire-up our postfix server.
>
> Is there a way to control this situation more elegant than reading
> logs and ban that user with an entry in header_checks ?
>
> Thanks.

smtpd_client_connection_rate_limit , or
smtpd_client_message_rate_limit

But Read the warning on the man page. This was not designed for
controlling legitimate traffic, but could be used for abusive users
writing "nasty scripts" I guess

BTW Isnt this more of a company policy issue than a technical issue ?

Thanks
Ram