Looking at new mail server layout

Stephen Atkins-2
Our company has been running three postfix servers (2 gateways and 1
where it all get delivered to) for a few years now.  We've grown to a
point where it seems our one server where everything is eventually
delivered to is becoming overloaded.  My question is: Is there any
benefit to separating the postfix/courier installs to two different
machines? Or should we split our domains and put some on one server and
some on another?  We have mail coming in for about 15 domains but only 4
of them are heavily used.  The other get more spam then legit email.  I
was also thinking of making the main file storage a separate machine and
using NFS.  Is this a good idea?

What have some of you done for this sort of setup?  We are not committed
to keeping any of these machines so fire away with other questions and
comments.

--
Stephen Atkins
Information Systems
Cell: (403) 510-8333
Fax: (403) 244-3774

Re: Looking at new mail server layout

Devdas Bhagat
On Wed, May 07, 2008 at 08:05:55AM -0600, Stephen Atkins wrote:

> Our company has been running three postfix servers (2 gateways and 1
> where it all get delivered to) for a few years now.  We've grown to a
> point where it seems our one server where everything is eventually
> delivered to is becoming overloaded.  My question is: Is there any
> benefit to separating the postfix/courier installs to two different
> machines? Or should we split our domains and put some on one server and
> some on another?  We have mail coming in for about 15 domains but only 4
> of them are heavily used.  The other get more spam then legit email.  I
> was also thinking of making the main file storage a separate machine and
> using NFS.  Is this a good idea?

I would go with the NFS split (or use GFS if you are feeling brave).
The biggest benefit is that you can add storage separately from the
host. Also, you can share this storage between multiple frontend boxes,
as well as being able to move the IMAP server to another set of hosts if
needed.

IMAP ------| |------ MTA ---- MX
IMAP --- Storage --- MTA ---- MX

Personally, I wouldn't split by domain but partition my storage by user.
Share the storage between the MTAs and the POP3/IMAP servers, but each
set of users gets their own set of physical disks.

Devdas Bhagat

Devdas Bhagat wrote:

> I would go with the NFS split (or use GFS if you are feeling brave).
> The biggest benefit is that you can add storage separately from the
> host. Also, you can share this storage between multiple frontend boxes,
> as well as being able to move the IMAP server to another set of hosts if
> needed.
>
> IMAP ------| |------ MTA ---- MX
> IMAP --- Storage --- MTA ---- MX
>
> Personally, I wouldn't split by domain but partition my storage by user.
> Share the storage between the MTAs and the POP3/IMAP servers, but each
> set of users gets their own set of physical disks.

Thanks for the reply.  I think we may start off with something a bit
smaller.  Maybe something like:

MX-----|
        |---MTA----Storage----IMAP/POP3

The two MX boxes are connected to different ISPs for some redundancy.

Do you see any issues with this sort of setup?

Stephen