MAILER-DAEMON and double-bounce sender domain

MAILER-DAEMON and double-bounce sender domain

Hello.

I have mail server named "mx.example.com" that handles mail in
"example.com" (virtual) domain. I use postfix 3.4.6 for this server.
When something wrong happens, mail is dropped to postmaster with
"[hidden email]" envelope sender and
"[hidden email]" in the "From" header, which leads to
SPF failure and spam filter triggering, because mx.example.com is not
intended for using as ordinary mail domain.

So I tried to change myorigin, but this not help. I used this settings:

append_at_myorigin = yes
myorigin = $mydomain
myhostname = mx.example.com

Is it possible to change domain name for double_bounce_sender and
empty_address_recipient without touching myhostname? Seems that
append_at_myorigin does not work for those special purpose addresses.

Re: MAILER-DAEMON and double-bounce sender domain

Wietse Venema
a:
> Hello.
>
> I have mail server named "mx.example.com" that handles mail in
> "example.com" (virtual) domain. I use postfix 3.4.6 for this server.
> When something wrong happens, mail is dropped to postmaster with
> "[hidden email]" envelope sender and
> "[hidden email]" in the "From" header, which leads to
> SPF failure and spam filter triggering, because mx.example.com is not
> intended for using as ordinary mail domain.

That description is incorrect. A double-bounce means means that Postfix
could not send a delivery status notification. You need to fix that
problem first.

The double-bounce address is completed with $myhostname, to make
it valid for the machine from which it originates. If delivery of
that message fails it MUST BE DISCARDED, otherwise undeliverable
mail may keep looping indefinitely.

These messages should not be sent to a remote destination. If you
must send it offsite, use canonical maps; I take no responsibility
if your change causes bounces to keep looping between systems.

        Wietse