MDN and mupliple recipients

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

MDN and mupliple recipients

Δημήτριος Καραπιπέρης
Hi
When someone sends an e-mail to multiple recipients and requests read
receipt
the MDN mechanism works fine but on the receipt message itself, the
sender receives that
[hidden email], [hidden email] have read the message
without knowing who exactly is the reader; recipent1 or recipient2;

Is there anyting he/she can do to receive the exact reader and not the
ambigous that both did it. (2 mails ,as many are the recipients)

I think that the MDN headers are inserted by the client.and postfix has
little or no impact on the whole porcess.


Dimitrios Karapiperis

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MDN and mupliple recipients

Wietse Venema
Dimitrios Karapiperis:
> Hi
> When someone sends an e-mail to multiple recipients and requests
> read receipt the MDN mechanism works fine but on the receipt
> message itself, the sender receives that [hidden email],
> [hidden email] have read the message without knowing who
> exactly is the reader; recipent1 or recipient2;

Postfix does not send "mail read" notifications.

        Wietse
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MDN and mupliple recipients

Δημήτριος Καραπιπέρης
O/H Wietse Venema έγραψε:

> Dimitrios Karapiperis:
>  
>> Hi
>> When someone sends an e-mail to multiple recipients and requests
>> read receipt the MDN mechanism works fine but on the receipt
>> message itself, the sender receives that [hidden email],
>> [hidden email] have read the message without knowing who
>> exactly is the reader; recipent1 or recipient2;
>>    
>
> Postfix does not send "mail read" notifications.
>
> Wietse
>  


Hi Wietse

You mean that these notifications are not part of the Postfix System?


Any ideas about these notifications?
Just send an e-mail to [hidden email],[hidden email] with read receipts.

Check then the receipts.

Thanks in adavnce
Dimitrios



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MDN and mupliple recipients

Victor Duchovni
On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 05:41:24PM +0200, ?????????????????? ?????????????????????? wrote:

>> Postfix does not send "mail read" notifications.
>
> You mean that these notifications are not part of the Postfix System?

They can't be. Postfix is a doctor not escalator (oops an MTA not a mail
client). Since you are discussing *read* notifications, and messages are
read by MUAs long after they are delivered into a mail store by the MTA,
the MTA is not involved in read notifications.  It is clear that read
notices are sent (optionally) by the MUA that displays the message to
the user, Postfix may convey such messages to the recipient, but it
is not responsible for their content.

--
        Viktor.

P.S. Morgan Stanley is looking for a New York City based, Senior Unix
system/email administrator to architect and sustain our perimeter email
environment.  If you are interested, please drop me a note.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MDN and mupliple recipients

Δημήτριος Καραπιπέρης
O/H Victor Duchovni έγραψε:

> On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 05:41:24PM +0200, ?????????????????? ?????????????????????? wrote:
>
>  
>>> Postfix does not send "mail read" notifications.
>>>      
>> You mean that these notifications are not part of the Postfix System?
>>    
>
> They can't be. Postfix is a doctor not escalator (oops an MTA not a mail
> client). Since you are discussing *read* notifications, and messages are
> read by MUAs long after they are delivered into a mail store by the MTA,
> the MTA is not involved in read notifications.  It is clear that read
> notices are sent (optionally) by the MUA that displays the message to
> the user, Postfix may convey such messages to the recipient, but it
> is not responsible for their content.
>
>  

So these messages are "produced" by the MUA and only the MUA who is
compleltely responsible about the format
of the messages.

right?

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MDN and mupliple recipients

Ansgar Wiechers
In reply to this post by Δημήτριος Καραπιπέρης
On 2010-03-18 ?????????????????? ?????????????????????? wrote:

> O/H Wietse Venema ????????????:
>> Dimitrios Karapiperis:
>>> When someone sends an e-mail to multiple recipients and requests
>>> read receipt the MDN mechanism works fine but on the receipt
>>> message itself, the sender receives that [hidden email],
>>> [hidden email] have read the message without knowing who
>>> exactly is the reader; recipent1 or recipient2;
>>
>> Postfix does not send "mail read" notifications.
>
> You mean that these notifications are not part of the Postfix System?
>
> Any ideas about these notifications?
> Just send an e-mail to [hidden email],[hidden email] with read
> receipts.
>
> Check then the receipts.

I'll hazard a guess and say that the sender of the read receipt is most
likely the one who read the original mail.

That said, the handling of read receipts is entirely up to the
(receiving) client. Postfix has nothing to do with this aside from being
the messenger.

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--
"Abstractions save us time working, but they don't save us time learning."
--Joel Spolsky
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: MDN and mupliple recipients

Wietse Venema
In reply to this post by Δημήτριος Καραπιπέρης
> H Wietse Venema:
> > Postfix does not send "mail read" notifications.
>
> Hi Wietse
>
> You mean that these notifications are not part of the Postfix System?

Postfix sends *delivery* notifications; for examples of these, see
the output from the "postconf -b" command.

*Delivery* notifications are send when mail is *delivered*.

        Wietse