MIME Parser Error - Can't Send Email

Carlwill
Today for some reason my company Postfix server is no longer working.
I'm running 'postfix-2.3.3-2.3.el5_6' & have not made any changes and
or updates to the server. I checked the queue in Postfix using
'postqueue -p' and it's backed up with the following error:

(host 127.0.0.1[127.0.0.1] said: 451 4.5.0 Error in processing,
id=10796-01, mime_decode-1 FAILED: MIME::Parser: can't open tmpfile:
Invalid argument (in reply to end of DATA command))

Does anyone know what this means and or where I need to adjust
whatever is causing this error? I know users don't like when you add
your configuration when not asked for so I will await your advice.

Thank you so very much for any help!

Re: MIME Parser Error - Can't Send Email

Ralf Hildebrandt
* Carlos Mennens <[hidden email]>:
> Today for some reason my company Postfix server is no longer working.
> I'm running 'postfix-2.3.3-2.3.el5_6' & have not made any changes and
> or updates to the server. I checked the queue in Postfix using
> 'postqueue -p' and it's backed up with the following error:
>
> (host 127.0.0.1[127.0.0.1] said: 451 4.5.0 Error in processing,
> id=10796-01, mime_decode-1 FAILED: MIME::Parser: can't open tmpfile:
> Invalid argument (in reply to end of DATA command))

That's probably amavis, not postfix
Look at the amavis messages in your mail.log

--
Ralf Hildebrandt
  Charité - Universitätsmedizin Berlin
  [hidden email] | http://www.charite.de

Re: MIME Parser Error - Can't Send Email

Carlwill
On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 3:38 PM, Ralf Hildebrandt
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> That's probably amavis, not postfix
> Look at the amavis messages in your mail.log

I think you're right. Postfix appears to be working fine. I'll view
the logs and hit up the Amavisd-new mailing list. Sadly nothing in
/var/log/maillog shows any entries written from Amavis. Just Postfix &
Dovecot.

Re: MIME Parser Error - Can't Send Email

Simon Brereton-2
On 2 November 2011 15:53, Carlos Mennens <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 3:38 PM, Ralf Hildebrandt
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> That's probably amavis, not postfix
>> Look at the amavis messages in your mail.log
>
> I think you're right. Postfix appears to be working fine. I'll view
> the logs and hit up the Amavisd-new mailing list. Sadly nothing in
> /var/log/maillog shows any entries written from Amavis. Just Postfix &
> Dovecot.

First try to restart amavis - fwiw..

Simon

Re: MIME Parser Error - Can't Send Email

Carlwill
Is there a command in Postfix to remove / delete all messages in the
queue? All I could find is using 'postsuper -d <message_id>.

Re: MIME Parser Error - Can't Send Email

Carlos Mennens:
> Today for some reason my company Postfix server is no longer working.
> I'm running 'postfix-2.3.3-2.3.el5_6' & have not made any changes and
> or updates to the server. I checked the queue in Postfix using
> 'postqueue -p' and it's backed up with the following error:
>
> (host 127.0.0.1[127.0.0.1] said: 451 4.5.0 Error in processing,
> id=10796-01, mime_decode-1 FAILED: MIME::Parser: can't open tmpfile:
> Invalid argument (in reply to end of DATA command))

MIME::Parser is a Perl module.  Postfix is not written in Perl.

    http://search.cpan.org/~dskoll/MIME-tools-5.502/lib/MIME/Parser.pm

Are you using a content filter that is written in Perl?

Re: MIME Parser Error - Can't Send Email

Ralf Hildebrandt
* Carlos Mennens <[hidden email]>:
> Is there a command in Postfix to remove / delete all messages in the
> queue? All I could find is using 'postsuper -d <message_id>.

postsuper -d ALL
but isn't that a bit harsh?

On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 4:15 PM, Wietse Venema <[hidden email]> wrote:
> MIME::Parser is a Perl module.  Postfix is not written in Perl.
>
>    http://search.cpan.org/~dskoll/MIME-tools-5.502/lib/MIME/Parser.pm
>
> Are you using a content filter that is written in Perl?

I'm aware Postfix isn't coded in Perl. I'm guessing it's C or
something to that nature. To my lack of expertise, the errors didn't
seem specific to Perl but thank you. I am (or was) using Amavisd-new
which I disabled until I can determine the issue.

On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 4:34 PM, Ralf Hildebrandt
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> postsuper -d ALL
> but isn't that a bit harsh?

Yes I feel it is a bit overkill as well. I just removed all
re-injection parameters in main/master.cf and restarted Postfix. Then
a 'postqueue -f' seem to do the trick.

Thanks all!

Re: MIME Parser Error - Can't Send Email

Mark Martinec-5
Just for the archive:

> (host 127.0.0.1[127.0.0.1] said:
>   451 4.5.0 Error in processing, id=10796-01,
>   mime_decode-1 FAILED:
>   MIME::Parser: can't open tmpfile: Invalid argument

As Patrick and Gary said, looks like a trouble with a /tmp directory
(protection?) or its file system (full or out of inodes).

Older versions of MIME-tools (5.419 and older) use IO::File->new_tmpfile
to create a temporary file (typically in a /tmp directory), and return
a silly diagnostics "Invalid argument" on encountering any problem.

Versions of MIME-tools starting with 5.500 use File::Temp->new instead.
On a failure this returns a much more sensible diagnostics.

  Mark