Mail Followup Marker Sanitation

Svoop
Mail clients such as Outlook breach standards by translating "Re" e.g. to "AW"
(German short for "Antwort"). This results in cascades such as "Re: AW: Re: AW:
Hello World" as a message goes hence and forth. I've written a simple
header_check which sanitizies this madness:

http://www.bitcetera.com/en/techblog/2011/10/18/mail-followup-marker-sanitation/

I'd like to add more translations of "Re" and "Fwd" in other languages. If you
know some, please comment on the above blog article.

Thanks!

AW: Re: Mail Followup Marker Sanitation

Noel Jones-2

Re: Mail Followup Marker Sanitation

Reindl Harald-2

Am 20.10.2011 04:04, schrieb Svoop:
> Mail clients such as Outlook breach standards by translating "Re" e.g. to "AW"
> (German short for "Antwort"). This results in cascades such as "Re: AW: Re: AW:
> Hello World" as a message goes hence and forth. I've written a simple
> header_check which sanitizies this madness:
>
> http://www.bitcetera.com/en/techblog/2011/10/18/mail-followup-marker-sanitation/
>
> I'd like to add more translations of "Re" and "Fwd" in other languages. If you
> know some, please comment on the above blog article.

this is really not the job of the MTA

never touch messages, never, you are responsible for integrity and since your machine
is touching messages you will get complains for evey broken attachment and can not say
"my server does not change messages"

this is the right way for that:
https://addons.mozilla.org/en/thunderbird/addon/clean-subject/

Re: AW: Re: Mail Followup Marker Sanitation

lst_hoe02
Zitat von Noel Jones <[hidden email]>:

> On 10/19/2011 9:04 PM, Svoop wrote:
>> Mail clients such as Outlook breach standards by translating
>> "Re" e.g. to "AW" (German short for "Antwort"). This results in
>> cascades such as "Re: AW: Re: AW: Hello World" as a message
>> goes hence and forth. I've written a simple header_check which
>> sanitizies this madness:
>>
>> http://www.bitcetera.com/en/techblog/2011/10/18/mail-followup-marker-sanitation/
>>
>>  I'd like to add more translations of "Re" and "Fwd" in other
>> languages. If you know some, please comment on the above blog
>> article.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>

> While I sympathize, probably not a good idea.
>
> Munging the subject header will break digital signatures eg. DKIM,
> OpenPGP, S/MIME.

At least S/MIME only sign the message in most cases, not the headers.
While there is a extention in RFC 3851 to also protect headers its
more of a hack and i doubt there is wide support at the client side
for this. But you are right for sure for the others :-(

Regards

Andreas

smime.p7s (8K) Download Attachment

Re: Mail Followup Marker Sanitation

Ralf Hildebrandt
* Svoop <[hidden email]>:
> Mail clients such as Outlook breach standards by translating "Re" e.g. to "AW"
> (German short for "Antwort"). This results in cascades such as "Re: AW: Re: AW:
> Hello World" as a message goes hence and forth. I've written a simple
> header_check which sanitizies this madness:
>
> http://www.bitcetera.com/en/techblog/2011/10/18/mail-followup-marker-sanitation/
>
> I'd like to add more translations of "Re" and "Fwd" in other languages. If you
> know some, please comment on the above blog article.

Yes, but that approach doesn't work with amavisd-new and DKIM signing
(the message is altered after signing)

--
Ralf Hildebrandt
  CharitĂ© - Universitätsmedizin Berlin