Mail sending problem.

Manoj Burande
Hello There,

     I am just trying to configure my postfix to send only mail server.
presently used parameters in "main.cf" configuration file is as
follows:

alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
append_dot_mydomain = no
biff = no
config_directory = /etc/postfix
inet_interfaces = loopback-only
mydestination = textwand.com, localhost, localhost.localdomain, localhost
mailbox_size_limit = 0
myhostname = mail.textwand.com
mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8
myorigin = textwand.com
recipient_delimiter = +
relayhost =
smtpd_banner = $myhostname ESMTP $mail_name
notify_classes = resource, software, bounce

    But whenever I am trying to send an I got following mail logs:

Nov 13 14:30:27 r1 postfix/pickup[2287]: CCC958FE066: uid=0 from=<root>
Nov 13 14:30:27 r1 postfix/cleanup[2292]: CCC958FE066:
message-id=<[hidden email]>
Nov 13 14:30:27 r1 postfix/qmgr[2288]: CCC958FE066:
from=<[hidden email]>, size=464, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
Nov 13 14:30:27 r1 postfix/cleanup[2292]: D19DC8FE063:
message-id=<[hidden email]>
Nov 13 14:30:27 r1 postfix/local[2294]: CCC958FE066:
to=<[hidden email]>, relay=local, delay=0.04, delays=0.02/0.01/0/0.01,
dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (forwarded as D19DC8FE063)
Nov 13 14:30:27 r1 postfix/qmgr[2288]: D19DC8FE063:
from=<[hidden email]>, size=595, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
Nov 13 14:30:27 r1 postfix/qmgr[2288]: CCC958FE066: removed
Nov 13 14:30:51 r1 postfix/smtp[2295]: D19DC8FE063: host
mail.artificialmachines.com[66.226.64.55] said: 451 4.1.8 Domain of sender
address [hidden email] does not resolve (in reply to RCPT TO command)
Nov 13 14:31:02 r1 postfix/smtp[2295]: D19DC8FE063:
to=<[hidden email]>, orig_to=<[hidden email]>,
relay=mx2.abac.com[216.55.191.203]:25, delay=35, delays=0.01/0.01/33/1.9,
dsn=4.1.8, status=deferred (host mx2.abac.com[216.55.191.203] said: 451
4.1.8 Domain of sender address [hidden email] does not resolve (in
reply to RCPT TO command))

      So please guide me if I am doing anything wrong.

--
Manoj M. Burande,
Artificial Machines Pvt Ltd,

Re: Mail sending problem.

Barney Desmond
2009/11/13 Manoj Burande <[hidden email]>:
> presently used parameters in "main.cf" configuration file is as
> follows:

No, please show the output of `postconf -n` when describing your
configuration. The contents of main.cf is less useful as it doesn't
accurately describe the configuration Postfix is using.

>    But whenever I am trying to send an I got following mail logs:
>
> Nov 13 14:31:02 r1 postfix/smtp[2295]: D19DC8FE063:
> to=<[hidden email]>, orig_to=<[hidden email]>,
> relay=mx2.abac.com[216.55.191.203]:25, delay=35, delays=0.01/0.01/33/1.9,
> dsn=4.1.8, status=deferred (host mx2.abac.com[216.55.191.203] said: 451
> 4.1.8 Domain of sender address [hidden email] does not resolve (in
> reply to RCPT TO command))

This is quite clear. The sender address is [hidden email]. The
remote server (mx2.abac.com) is unable to (DNS) lookup textwand.com,
so it refuses to accept the mail. You have no useful DNS records for
textwand.com, so this is pretty reasonable.
http://www.robtex.com/dns/textwand.com.html

Re: Mail sending problem.

Manoj Burande
Hi Barney,

   Here I just wanted to explain you that what exactly I am trying to do is,

1] I am trying to configure postfix mail server that can only send mails.
It receives no mail from the network.

2] The MX records tell the world which server will accept inbound mail for
your domain. They have nothing to do with sending outbound mail. That's
why I have not made any DNS entry for my domain "textwand.com".

3] Locally generated mails will be forward ALERT / INFO /CRITICAL
notifications generated by my local syslogd to me. I want generated log
reports to go to my "[hidden email]" account.

4] I have hosted my JAVA application on the same server. And it will
generate mail to deliver to the users. e.g. [hidden email] /
yahoo.com or [hidden email] etc..In short it will
deliver mail on the internet to other domain users.

    Here I am providing you the output of "postconf -n". Please guide me
if I am doing anything wrong. Please...

[root@r1 ~]# postconf -n
alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
append_dot_mydomain = no
biff = no
command_directory = /usr/sbin
config_directory = /etc/postfix
daemon_directory = /usr/libexec/postfix
data_directory = /var/lib/postfix
debug_peer_level = 2
html_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix-2.5.6-documentation/html
inet_interfaces = loopback-only
mail_owner = postfix
mailbox_size_limit = 0
mailq_path = /usr/bin/mailq.postfix
manpage_directory = /usr/share/man
mydestination = textwand.com, localhost, localhost.localdomain, localhost
myhostname = mail.textwand.com
mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8
myorigin = textwand.com
notify_classes = resource, software, bounce
queue_directory = /var/spool/postfix
readme_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix-2.5.6-documentation/readme
recipient_delimiter = +
relayhost =
sample_directory = /etc/postfix
setgid_group = postdrop
smtpd_banner = $myhostname ESMTP $mail_name
unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 550

> 2009/11/13 Manoj Burande <[hidden email]>:
>> presently used parameters in "main.cf" configuration file is as
>> follows:
>
> No, please show the output of `postconf -n` when describing your
> configuration. The contents of main.cf is less useful as it doesn't
> accurately describe the configuration Postfix is using.
>
>>    But whenever I am trying to send an I got following mail logs:
>>
>> Nov 13 14:31:02 r1 postfix/smtp[2295]: D19DC8FE063:
>> to=<[hidden email]>, orig_to=<[hidden email]>,
>> relay=mx2.abac.com[216.55.191.203]:25, delay=35,
>> delays=0.01/0.01/33/1.9,
>> dsn=4.1.8, status=deferred (host mx2.abac.com[216.55.191.203] said: 451
>> 4.1.8 Domain of sender address [hidden email] does not resolve (in
>> reply to RCPT TO command))
>
> This is quite clear. The sender address is [hidden email]. The
> remote server (mx2.abac.com) is unable to (DNS) lookup textwand.com,
> so it refuses to accept the mail. You have no useful DNS records for
> textwand.com, so this is pretty reasonable.
> http://www.robtex.com/dns/textwand.com.html

--
Manoj M. Burande,
Artificial Machines Pvt Ltd,
System Administrator.

Re: Mail sending problem.

Barney Desmond
2009/11/13 Manoj Burande <[hidden email]>:
>   Here I just wanted to explain you that what exactly I am trying to do is,
>
> 1] I am trying to configure postfix mail server that can only send mails.
> It receives no mail from the network.
>
> 2] The MX records tell the world which server will accept inbound mail for
> your domain. They have nothing to do with sending outbound mail. That's
> why I have not made any DNS entry for my domain "textwand.com".

This is reasonable. *However*, most mail providers tend to reject mail
from domains like yours, which have no DNS records. There's
theoretically nothing wrong with your setup, but given that most email
nowadays is spam, mail providers are only interested in "legitimate"
looking mail.

Furthermore, mail "should" be able to go back to the sender for
accountability, such as spamming problems and administrative issues.
It's basically, "if I can't contact you, then I'm not interested in
your mail". See further down for more notes.

> 3] Locally generated mails will be forward ALERT / INFO /CRITICAL
> notifications generated by my local syslogd to me. I want generated log
> reports to go to my "[hidden email]" account.
>
> 4] I have hosted my JAVA application on the same server. And it will
> generate mail to deliver to the users. e.g. [hidden email] /
> yahoo.com or [hidden email] etc..In short it will
> deliver mail on the internet to other domain users.

Big, free providers like Gmail and Yahoo are *very* strict on things
like this. Yahoo is notoriously difficult to get mail to sometimes, as
an example, but your mileage may vary.

> Here I am providing you the output of "postconf -n".

For outbound-only mail that generally looks okay. It's worth noting
that some mail servers will perform "sender callback", where they
attempt to connect to the MX of the sending domain (again, they want
to check that the sender will also receive mail, in case of problems,
abuse, etc.). Because you're only listening on loopback addresses, you
may fail that check on some servers, so they'll refuse your mail.

It's difficult to make a comprehensive list of things you can/should
do to successfully send mail, but having DNS records would be an
important step - you don't *have* to accept inbound email, but it'll
help your legitimacy.

Re: Mail sending problem.

Ansgar Wiechers
On 2009-11-13 Manoj Burande wrote:

> Here I just wanted to explain you that what exactly I am trying to do
> is,
>
> 1] I am trying to configure postfix mail server that can only send
>    mails. It receives no mail from the network.
>
> 2] The MX records tell the world which server will accept inbound mail
>    for your domain. They have nothing to do with sending outbound
>    mail. That's why I have not made any DNS entry for my domain
>    "textwand.com".

Since I was the one who gave you this advice: you can send e-mail
perfectly fine without having any DNS record for your server. However,
as Barney already pointed out, the MXs of other domains may refuse to
accept mail from your server unless it does have valid DNS records.
That's one of the reasons why you'd normally relay mail from such hosts
through some "official" mail server (e.g. your company's or your ISP's
MTA).

The "null client" standard configuration example to which I had pointed
you used a relayhost (for a number of other reasons, too). Why didn't
you stick with that?

Regards
Ansgar Wiechers
--
"All vulnerabilities deserve a public fear period prior to patches
becoming available."
--Jason Coombs on Bugtraq

Re: Mail sending problem.

Victor Duchovni
On Fri, Nov 13, 2009 at 06:27:59PM +0100, Ansgar Wiechers wrote:

> On 2009-11-13 Manoj Burande wrote:
> > Here I just wanted to explain you that what exactly I am trying to do
> > is,
> >
> > 1] I am trying to configure postfix mail server that can only send
> >    mails. It receives no mail from the network.
> >
> > 2] The MX records tell the world which server will accept inbound mail
> >    for your domain. They have nothing to do with sending outbound
> >    mail. That's why I have not made any DNS entry for my domain
> >    "textwand.com".
>
> Since I was the one who gave you this advice: you can send e-mail
> perfectly fine without having any DNS record for your server.

No, the server itself need not have MX records and its hostname need
not match the envelope sender domain. The server must have matching PTR
and A records, and the envelope sender domain must be valid (have MX or
A records).

Processing bounces and spam complaints is NOT optional. There is no
such thing as "send-only" email, once one takes non-optional list
management into account.