Mailer-Daemon Domain Part

McFly86
Hi,

I'm not sure if i got myself confused but here is what I'd like/have to
achieve:

If an internal user is sending an email and postfix receives a bounce, the
Mailer-daemon should have the hostname as domain part. I know that I can use
$myhostname to set $myorigin for that.

But I'm not sure if that affects anything that postfix may send to external
recipients. (that should continue to use $mydomain).

Thanks for clarification

Re: Mailer-Daemon Domain Part

Wietse Venema
McFly86:

> Hi,
>
> I'm not sure if i got myself confused but here is what I'd like/have to
> achieve:
>
> If an internal user is sending an email and postfix receives a bounce, the
> Mailer-daemon should have the hostname as domain part. I know that I can use
> $myhostname to set $myorigin for that.
>
> But I'm not sure if that affects anything that postfix may send to external
> recipients. (that should continue to use $mydomain).
>
> Thanks for clarification

Why do you think that users will see the difference?

Re: Mailer-Daemon Domain Part

McFly86
Hi Wietse,

We have another server that touches our mail and that server marks every
incoming mail with our domain suffix as unverified internal sender and
attaches the original bounce message. That's kind of confusing for the end
user and leads to unnecessary service requests.

Unfortunately I can't change this behavior on the second server, that's why
I have to find a solution on the postfix side to circumvent this rule from
being triggered.

Regards
Nico

Re: Mailer-Daemon Domain Part

Wietse Venema
McFly86:

> Hi Wietse,
>
> We have another server that touches our mail and that server marks every
> incoming mail with our domain suffix as unverified internal sender and
> attaches the original bounce message. That's kind of confusing for the end
> user and leads to unnecessary service requests.
>
> Unfortunately I can't change this behavior on the second server, that's why
> I have to find a solution on the postfix side to circumvent this rule from
> being triggered.

This requires using transport_maps to make SMTP deliveries
destination-dependent, so that you can rewrite addresses on the way
out.

In master.cf specify a second SMTP client which uses smtp_generic_maps
to rewrite [hidden email] to [hidden email]
(or the opposite, whatever happens to be more convenient).

        Wietse