Mailman after postfix 2.10

@lbutlr
In case this is useful to anyone else:

=== What I was going to post ===
After updating postfix to 2.10, mailman (which has datestamps on the binaries of Apr 2010) is failing. The log message in maillog is:

Aug  3 10:38:33 mail Mailman mail-wrapper: Group mismatch error.  Mailman expected the mail wrapper script to be executed as group "mailman", but the system's mail server executed the mail script as group "nobody".  Try tweaking the mail server to run the script as group "mailman", or re-run configure,  providing the command line option `--with-mail-gid=nobody

Since Mailman hasn't changed and has worked through 2.6 and 2.8, I suspect there is some configuration that has changed in postfix. Is this something I can fix in recompiling postfix (best), or do I have to recompile mailman (don't want to)?
=== EOF ===

I found the solution before posting. I went into the data directory for mailman and changed the owner on the aliases and aliases.db to "mailman" and everything works fine. I could also have simply run

bin/check_perms -f

(most of the info I found on the error was about recompiling mailman to fix this error, which is why I'm sending this along). This is almost certainly the solution to the problem I had in Jan 2010 in mailman-user, for anyone playing along at home.)

NO ONE WANTS TO HEAR ABOUT MY SCIATICA Bart chalkboard Ep. AABF09

Re: Mailman after postfix 2.10

Michael Tokarev
03.08.2013 21:00, LuKreme wrote:

> In case this is useful to anyone else:
>
> === What I was going to post ===
> After updating postfix to 2.10, mailman (which has datestamps on the binaries of Apr 2010) is failing. The log message in maillog is:
>
> Aug  3 10:38:33 mail Mailman mail-wrapper: Group mismatch error.  Mailman expected the mail wrapper script to be executed as group "mailman", but the system's mail server executed the mail script as group "nobody".  Try tweaking the mail server to run the script as group "mailman", or re-run configure,  providing the command line option `--with-mail-gid=nobody
>
> Since Mailman hasn't changed and has worked through 2.6 and 2.8, I suspect there is some configuration that has changed in postfix. Is this something I can fix in recompiling postfix (best), or do I have to recompile mailman (don't want to)?
> === EOF ===
>
> I found the solution before posting. I went into the data directory for mailman and changed the owner on the aliases and aliases.db to "mailman" and everything works fine. I could also have simply run

Is this your OS's auto-upgrade script maybe?

Most linux distributions at least run some commands after
postfix installation/upgrade, and one of them is `newaliases',
which is needed to compensate for berkeleyDB versions change
and whatnot.  This might have changed permissions of your
alias database (hint: alias_database parameter in postfix),
and mailman stopped working.

Postfix side hasn't changed in years, it has nothing to
do with version 2.10 in particular.

Thanks,

/mjt

On 06 Aug 2013, at 14:22 , Michael Tokarev <[hidden email]> wrote:
> 03.08.2013 21:00, LuKreme wrote:
>> [snip]
>> I found the solution before posting. I went into the data directory for mailman and changed the owner on the aliases and aliases.db to "mailman" and everything works fine. I could also have simply run
>
> Is this your OS's auto-upgrade script maybe?

No, because I installed Postfix from source.

> Most linux distributions at least run some commands after
> postfix installation/upgrade, and one of them is `newaliases',
> which is needed to compensate for berkeleyDB versions change
> and whatnot.  This might have changed permissions of your
> alias database (hint: alias_database parameter in postfix),
> and mailman stopped working.

I think perhaps postfix did this during make install.

> Postfix side hasn't changed in years, it has nothing to
> do with version 2.10 in particular.

Yes, I can see how I should have changed '2.10' to 'reinstall'

The point is/was that all the hits on Google seem to be about recompiling mailman and the actual solution was just to fix the permissions on /usr/local/mailman/data/aliases

--
Stupid men are often capable of things the clever would not dare to
contemplate... --Feet of Clay