Mailq?

MBGaskins

Ok, this is going to seem like a dumb and simple question, but Google isn't yielding a quick answer so I figured I'd just ask.

I'm running a Gentoo server that filters for our main server.  I was using a much older version of the Postfix (2.2.10) and am currently in the process of updating a clone of that machine to swap in soon.  When I emerged the newest copy of Postfix from the portage collection though (2.4.6), mailq is no longer a valid command.  showq, which I've also seen referenced, also is not accessible.

Simple question: is this a Gentoo problem (in which case I'll take this to a more appropriate mailing list), or were either of these commands removed between those two releases? (And if so, is there now a similar command available?).

Thanks.

Mike Gaskins

Re: Mailq?

mouss-2
[hidden email] wrote:

> Ok, this is going to seem like a dumb and simple question, but Google
> isn't yielding a quick answer so I figured I'd just ask.
>
> I'm running a Gentoo server that filters for our main server.  I was using
> a much older version of the Postfix (2.2.10) and am currently in the
> process of updating a clone of that machine to swap in soon.  When I
> emerged the newest copy of Postfix from the portage collection though
> (2.4.6), mailq is no longer a valid command.  showq, which I've also seen
> referenced, also is not accessible.
>
> Simple question: is this a Gentoo problem (in which case I'll take this to
> a more appropriate mailing list), or were either of these commands removed
> between those two releases? (And if so, is there now a similar command
> available?).

$ postconf mail_version
mail_version = 2.6-20080411
$ mailq
Mail queue is empty

so mailq is still there. now try
# postqueue -p

if this works, then your "mailq" isn't set to the right program. I don't
know if Gentoo uses |/etc/mail/mailer.conf to select the MTA. if it's
that, good. else ask Gentoo users. |

> Thanks.
>
> Mike Gaskins

Re: Mailq?

Magnus Bäck
On Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 22:43 CEST,
     [hidden email] wrote:

> I'm running a Gentoo server that filters for our main server.  I was
> using a much older version of the Postfix (2.2.10) and am currently in
> the process of updating a clone of that machine to swap in soon.  When
> I emerged the newest copy of Postfix from the portage collection
> though (2.4.6), mailq is no longer a valid command.  showq, which I've
> also seen referenced, also is not accessible.
>
> Simple question: is this a Gentoo problem (in which case I'll take
> this to a more appropriate mailing list), or were either of these
> commands removed between those two releases? (And if so, is there now
> a similar command available?).

They have not been removed. Isn't this just a $PATH problem? Perhaps
Gentoo has removed /usr/sbin (or wherever these files reside) from the
default path set in /etc/profile or similar?

Magnus Bäck

Re: Mailq?

MBGaskins

[hidden email] wrote on 05/28/2008 04:58:30 PM:
> They have not been removed. Isn't this just a $PATH problem? Perhaps
> Gentoo has removed /usr/sbin (or wherever these files reside) from the
> default path set in /etc/profile or similar?

No, I did a full search of the file system to check for mailq showing up anywhere thinking maybe it wasn't in the path.  Based on the previous post though, it looks like mailq may just be an alias to the sendmail.postfix command.  In that case, I may just symlink it and call it a day.  Or, just update my scripts to invoke postqueue -p instead of mailq.

Either way, I think I've found a solution.  Thanks everyone :).

Mike Gaskins

Re: Mailq?

Victor Duchovni
On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 10:58:30PM +0200, Magnus B?ck wrote:

> On Wednesday, May 28, 2008 at 22:43 CEST,
>      [hidden email] wrote:
>
> > I'm running a Gentoo server that filters for our main server.  I was
> > using a much older version of the Postfix (2.2.10) and am currently in
> > the process of updating a clone of that machine to swap in soon.  When
> > I emerged the newest copy of Postfix from the portage collection
> > though (2.4.6), mailq is no longer a valid command.  showq, which I've
> > also seen referenced, also is not accessible.
> >
> > Simple question: is this a Gentoo problem (in which case I'll take
> > this to a more appropriate mailing list), or were either of these
> > commands removed between those two releases? (And if so, is there now
> > a similar command available?).
>
> They have not been removed. Isn't this just a $PATH problem? Perhaps
> Gentoo has removed /usr/sbin (or wherever these files reside) from the
> default path set in /etc/profile or similar?

Or the "alternatives" framework is not configured for Postfix (or
any MTA). The OP may need to activat the Postfix alternatives profile.

Re: Mailq?

[hidden email] wrote:

> [hidden email] wrote on 05/28/2008 04:58:30 PM:
>
>> They have not been removed. Isn't this just a $PATH problem? Perhaps
>> Gentoo has removed /usr/sbin (or wherever these files reside) from the
>> default path set in /etc/profile or similar?
>>

> No, I did a full search of the file system to check for mailq showing up
> anywhere thinking maybe it wasn't in the path.  Based on the previous post
> though, it looks like mailq may just be an alias to the sendmail.postfix
> command.  In that case, I may just symlink it and call it a day.  Or, just
> update my scripts to invoke postqueue -p instead of mailq.

but does the sendmail command work?

you'd better use the "standard" method for your system. and in
principle, it should "work out of the box". there may have been a
problem during the installation of postfix...

> Either way, I think I've found a solution.  Thanks everyone :).
>
> Mike Gaskins

Re: Mailq?

Charles Marcus
[hidden email] wrote:

> Ok, this is going to seem like a dumb and simple question, but Google
> isn't yielding a quick answer so I figured I'd just ask.
>
> I'm running a Gentoo server that filters for our main server. I was
> using a much older version of the Postfix (2.2.10) and am currently
> in the process of updating a clone of that machine to swap in soon.
> When I emerged the newest copy of Postfix from the portage collection
>  though (2.4.6), mailq is no longer a valid command. showq, which
> I've also seen referenced, also is not accessible.
>
> Simple question: is this a Gentoo problem (in which case I'll take
> this to a more appropriate mailing list), or were either of these
> commands removed between those two releases? (And if so, is there now
>  a similar command available?).

Works for me on Gentoo...

~ # uname -a
Linux moria 2.6.23-gentoo-r3 #6 SMP Sun Jan 6 08:17:48 EST 2008 x86_64
AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 244 AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux
~ #
~ # postconf mail_version
mail_version = 2.5.1
~ #