Mailscanner+Postfix

Guy-749
Hi,

I'm currently running Postfix with amavisd-new and ClamAV which is
running pretty happily. I came across MailScanner this morning and
there seem to be a lot of good things said about it. On the other hand
I've noticed one or two posts about occasional mail loss when used
with Postfix, but they seem to be fairly old posts. Is this still the
case? Anyone using Postfix with MailScanner successfully?

Thanks
Guy

Don't just do something...sit there!

Re: Mailscanner+Postfix

Ralf Hildebrandt
* Guy <[hidden email]>:
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently running Postfix with amavisd-new and ClamAV which is
> running pretty happily. I came across MailScanner this morning and
> there seem to be a lot of good things said about it.

But not here :)

--
Ralf Hildebrandt ([hidden email])          [hidden email]
Postfix - Einrichtung, Betrieb und Wartung       Tel. +49 (0)30-450 570-155
Since there are no stupid computers humans can't be stupid.
There are just a few running with Windows or even CE.

Re: Mailscanner+Postfix

Egoitz Aurrekoetxea Aurre
Guy wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm currently running Postfix with amavisd-new and ClamAV which is
> running pretty happily. I came across MailScanner this morning and
> there seem to be a lot of good things said about it. On the other hand
> I've noticed one or two posts about occasional mail loss when used
> with Postfix, but they seem to be fairly old posts. Is this still the
> case? Anyone using Postfix with MailScanner successfully?
>
> Thanks
> Guy

IMHO the main problem mailscanner using has is that you can't increase
queue depths of queues... apart of that I don't really like how it
treats mail, I mean check within a time and take all those mails...
positive point is that is C... but anyway with amavis I'm running four
amavis processes on several machines and it does quite nice... (4
proccesess cpu usage is not so much... apart that it's not so critical
this point IMHO) and so... I prefer amavisd-new particularly... and I'm
running mail scanning services with amavis and I'm very happy with it.

Re: Mailscanner+Postfix

Guy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently running Postfix with amavisd-new and ClamAV which is
> running pretty happily. I came across MailScanner this morning and
> there seem to be a lot of good things said about it.

It is generally better to talk in terms of functionality before talking
about implementations. many of us are happy with amavisd-new, and if you
want help here, you'll have better chances if you use amavisd-new.

>  On the other hand
> I've noticed one or two posts about occasional mail loss when used
> with Postfix, but they seem to be fairly old posts. Is this still the
> case?

as long as you don't see new infos stating the opposite, the old news
hold ;-p
> Anyone using Postfix with MailScanner successfully?

there are, but it is at their own risk.

Re: Mailscanner+Postfix

Guy-749
2008/6/12 mouss <[hidden email]>:
> It is generally better to talk in terms of functionality before talking
> about implementations. many of us are happy with amavisd-new, and if you
> want help here, you'll have better chances if you use amavisd-new.

Thanks for the input. Was just wondering if there was any point in
looking further into it. I'm pretty happy with amavisd-new, but when
the boss wants something looked into you've got to have good reasons
for a yes or no. :) At least now I have those reasons.

Thanks
Guy

--
Don't just do something...sit there!