Making a shadowing server?

Johan Andersson-12
Hi,

New as I am to postfix, I have been trying to find some answer to my
current dilemma...

Incoming mails to the domain(s) hit postfix MTA's with antivirus and
anti-spam
these send emails on to a mail storage, today an old iPlanet server
(clustered)

All users, aliases and other user data are stored in LDAP, as per the
iPlanet model.
The user base is updated daily.

Now hey want another server, not iPlanet or JES, most probably a linux/
postfix one
to shadow the main server, getting a copy for every mail going to the
iPlanet server
to also go to the new server, making it a possible replacement system
for the original
one in case of catastrophic failure of it.

I have been looking at the options like always_bcc and the likes, and
although the
recipient_bcc_maps looks usable, it would mean maintaining a huge list
which will
change a lot.

is it possible to just make postfix edge MTA just send every mail it
sends on to the old
mailserver also sent to the new mailserver, regardless of what user it
is? Valid users
are checked already at the edge MTA anyway.

i.e.

Sending Host

Edge MTA with AntiSPAM/AntiVirus (gateway?)
   |\
   |  \__ new Mailserver (new.example.com)
    \
      \__ old MailServer (old.example.com)

Both servers being configured to receive mail for the same domains and
storing
the mails in whatever fashion that product uses. Both using the same
LDAP authentication
data, but only the old one doing forwards and vacations and such...
(for now)

I know this is a strange way to do things, but this is what this
customer wants at this time
so I am checking if it is even possible to do it without getting in to
more administrative work
then need be, maintaining a recipient_bcc_maps that is up to par seems
like a bit to much
work to me.

it would have been great if one could just have listed two relays to
the domain and gotten
it to send a copy to each one.
i.e. /etc/postfix/transport

example.com  smtp:[old.example.com], [new.example.com]

or something similiar...

Anyone has any insight to as how this might be accomplished?

/J. Andersson

Re: Making a shadowing server?

Noel Jones-2
Johan Andersson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> New as I am to postfix, I have been trying to find some answer to my
> current dilemma...
>
> Incoming mails to the domain(s) hit postfix MTA's with antivirus and
> anti-spam
> these send emails on to a mail storage, today an old iPlanet server
> (clustered)
>
> All users, aliases and other user data are stored in LDAP, as per the
> iPlanet model.
> The user base is updated daily.
>
> Now hey want another server, not iPlanet or JES, most probably a
> linux/postfix one
> to shadow the main server, getting a copy for every mail going to the
> iPlanet server
> to also go to the new server, making it a possible replacement system
> for the original
> one in case of catastrophic failure of it.
>
> I have been looking at the options like always_bcc and the likes, and
> although the
> recipient_bcc_maps looks usable, it would mean maintaining a huge list
> which will
> change a lot.
>
> is it possible to just make postfix edge MTA just send every mail it
> sends on to the old
> mailserver also sent to the new mailserver, regardless of what user it
> is? Valid users
> are checked already at the edge MTA anyway.
>
> i.e.
>
> Sending Host
> Edge MTA with AntiSPAM/AntiVirus (gateway?)
>   |\
>   |  \__ new Mailserver (new.example.com)
>    \
>      \__ old MailServer (old.example.com)
>
> Both servers being configured to receive mail for the same domains and
> storing
> the mails in whatever fashion that product uses. Both using the same
> LDAP authentication
> data, but only the old one doing forwards and vacations and such... (for
> now)
>
> I know this is a strange way to do things, but this is what this
> customer wants at this time
> so I am checking if it is even possible to do it without getting in to
> more administrative work
> then need be, maintaining a recipient_bcc_maps that is up to par seems
> like a bit to much
> work to me.
>
> it would have been great if one could just have listed two relays to the
> domain and gotten
> it to send a copy to each one.
> i.e. /etc/postfix/transport
>
> example.com  smtp:[old.example.com], [new.example.com]
>
> or something similiar...
>
> Anyone has any insight to as how this might be accomplished?
>
> /J. Andersson

The SMTP protocol (and postfix) delivers one recipient to
exactly one destination; to add a second destination you need
to add another recipient.

recipient_bcc_maps is the right tool for this.  Check the list
archives for examples, this is a fairly common question.  This
is usually referred to as mail archiving.

Note that while this will duplicate incoming mail to the
second server, no one ever deletes mail from it, and it won't
contain internal to internal mail if that mail doesn't go
through postfix.
So make sure the customer understands it won't be an exact
copy "instant replacement" in case of catastrophic failure.

--
Noel Jones