Message size

M. Rodrigo Monteiro
Hi!

This postfix act as a Relay.
From all servers, but one, the message size is 20MB. For these one it's 10MB

# postconf message_size_limit
message_size_limit = 20971520

Here is the telnet response from all servers

# telnet relay 25
Trying XXX...
Connected to XXX.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 relay ESMTP Postfix
ehlo teste
250-relay
250-PIPELINING
250-SIZE 20971520
250-ETRN
250-STARTTLS
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250 8BITMIME
quit

Here is from just one spefic server

# telnet relay 25
Trying XXX...
Connected to relay
Escape character is '^]'.
220 relay ESMTP Service ready
ehlo server
250-Requested mail action okay, completed
250-SIZE 10000000
250-ETRN
250-8BITMIME
250-STARTTLS
250 OK
^]
telnet> quit
Connection closed.

The ehlo response from this specific server it's not equal too.
What could be happening?

Re: Message size

Glenn Sieb
On 8/5/14, 1:23 PM, M. Rodrigo Monteiro wrote:
> This postfix act as a Relay.
> From all servers, but one, the message size is 20MB. For these one it's 10MB
>
> # postconf message_size_limit
> message_size_limit = 20971520

And was that command run on the relay that is showing SIZE 10000000?

If so, did you try restarting Postfix?

Best,
--Glenn

Re: Message size

Glenn Sieb
On 8/5/14, 1:42 PM, M. Rodrigo Monteiro wrote:

>> And was that command run on the relay that is showing SIZE 10000000?
>
> The command is from the Server -> Relay. So, yes.
> All other servers (40 or so) the result is the same: 20MB.
>

>> If so, did you try restarting Postfix?
>
> Yes.

(We can cc each other, but let's remember to keep the list in the loop..)

Now, you said that there was a telnet response "from all servers" and
then a telnet response from "one specific server"... I'm asking about
*that one specific server*...

Can you please verify that running the "postconf message_size_limit"
command replies with "message_size_limit = 20971520" on *that specific
server*?

Best,
--Glenn

Re: Message size

On 8/5/2014 12:23 PM, M. Rodrigo Monteiro wrote:

> Hi!
>
> This postfix act as a Relay.
> From all servers, but one, the message size is 20MB. For these one it's 10MB
>
> # postconf message_size_limit
> message_size_limit = 20971520
>

> Here is the telnet response from all servers
>
> # telnet relay 25
> Trying XXX...
> Connected to XXX.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> 220 relay ESMTP Postfix
> ehlo teste
> 250-relay
> 250-PIPELINING
> 250-SIZE 20971520
> 250-ETRN
> 250-STARTTLS
> 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
> 250 8BITMIME
> quit

OK, looks like normal postfix.

> Here is from just one spefic server
>
> # telnet relay 25
> Trying XXX...
> Connected to relay
> Escape character is '^]'.
> 220 relay ESMTP Service ready
> ehlo server
> 250-Requested mail action okay, completed
> 250-SIZE 10000000
> 250-ETRN
> 250-8BITMIME
> 250-STARTTLS
> 250 OK
> ^]
> telnet> quit
> Connection closed.

And this doesn't look like postfix.  Either there's some sort of
proxy interfering with SMTP, or this isn't connecting to the same
server.  Maybe some security software or firewall on the oddball server?

Re: Message size

M. Rodrigo Monteiro

> On 8/5/2014 12:23 PM, M. Rodrigo Monteiro wrote:
>> Hi!
>>
>> This postfix act as a Relay.
>> From all servers, but one, the message size is 20MB. For these one it's 10MB
>>
>> # postconf message_size_limit
>> message_size_limit = 20971520
>>

>> Here is the telnet response from all servers
>>
>> # telnet relay 25
>> Trying XXX...
>> Connected to XXX.
>> Escape character is '^]'.
>> 220 relay ESMTP Postfix
>> ehlo teste
>> 250-relay
>> 250-PIPELINING
>> 250-SIZE 20971520
>> 250-ETRN
>> 250-STARTTLS
>> 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
>> 250 8BITMIME
>> quit
>>

> OK, looks like normal postfix.

Ok

>> Here is from just one spefic server
>>
>> # telnet relay 25
>> Trying XXX...
>> Connected to relay
>> Escape character is '^]'.
>> 220 relay ESMTP Service ready
>> ehlo server
>> 250-Requested mail action okay, completed
>> 250-SIZE 10000000
>> 250-ETRN
>> 250-8BITMIME
>> 250-STARTTLS
>> 250 OK
>> ^]
>> telnet> quit
>> Connection closed.
>>

> And this doesn't look like postfix.  Either there's some sort of
> proxy interfering with SMTP, or this isn't connecting to the same
> server.  Maybe some security software or firewall on the oddball server?

Yes, I thought that too. But the first 220 replay with my Relay name
(smtp2.tld.com) indicates otherwise, not?
But, I'll investigate on that.

Thanks.

>   -- Noel Jones

Re: Message size

Glenn Sieb
On 8/5/14, 1:47 PM, Noel Jones wrote:
> And this doesn't look like postfix.  Either there's some sort of
> proxy interfering with SMTP, or this isn't connecting to the same
> server.  Maybe some security software or firewall on the oddball server?

Good point.. I missed the difference in responses to the ehlo command.

Best,
--G.

Re: Message size

On 8/5/2014 12:53 PM, M. Rodrigo Monteiro wrote:

>> On 8/5/2014 12:23 PM, M. Rodrigo Monteiro wrote:
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> This postfix act as a Relay.
>>> From all servers, but one, the message size is 20MB. For these one it's 10MB
>>>
>>> # postconf message_size_limit
>>> message_size_limit = 20971520
>>>

>>> Here is the telnet response from all servers
>>>
>>> # telnet relay 25
>>> Trying XXX...
>>> Connected to XXX.
>>> Escape character is '^]'.
>>> 220 relay ESMTP Postfix
>>> ehlo teste
>>> 250-relay
>>> 250-PIPELINING
>>> 250-SIZE 20971520
>>> 250-ETRN
>>> 250-STARTTLS
>>> 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
>>> 250 8BITMIME
>>> quit
>>>

>> OK, looks like normal postfix.
>
> Ok
>

>>> Here is from just one spefic server
>>>
>>> # telnet relay 25
>>> Trying XXX...
>>> Connected to relay
>>> Escape character is '^]'.
>>> 220 relay ESMTP Service ready
>>> ehlo server
>>> 250-Requested mail action okay, completed
>>> 250-SIZE 10000000
>>> 250-ETRN
>>> 250-8BITMIME
>>> 250-STARTTLS
>>> 250 OK
>>> ^]
>>> telnet> quit
>>> Connection closed.
>>>

>> And this doesn't look like postfix.  Either there's some sort of
>> proxy interfering with SMTP, or this isn't connecting to the same
>> server.  Maybe some security software or firewall on the oddball server?
>>

> Yes, I thought that too. But the first 220 replay with my Relay name
> (smtp2.tld.com) indicates otherwise, not?
> But, I'll investigate on that.

In the samples you provided, the 220 server responses are clearly
different.  The first one looks like postfix, the second one with
the different message size does not look like postfix.

The evidence you provided leads me to believe the second server is
not connecting to postfix. Usually this means there is some sort of
proxy altering the SMTP commands, but there could be other problems,
such as a forgotten /etc/hosts entry pointing to the wrong IP.

At any rate, this isn't a postfix problem.

Re: Message size

Jonas Wielicki
On 05.08.2014 20:08, Noel Jones wrote:

>>> OK, looks like normal postfix.
>>
>> Ok

>>> And this doesn't look like postfix.  Either there's some sort of
>>> proxy interfering with SMTP, or this isn't connecting to the same
>>> server.  Maybe some security software or firewall on the oddball server?
>>>

>> Yes, I thought that too. But the first 220 replay with my Relay name
>> (smtp2.tld.com) indicates otherwise, not?
>> But, I'll investigate on that.
>
> In the samples you provided, the 220 server responses are clearly
> different.  The first one looks like postfix, the second one with
> the different message size does not look like postfix.
>
> The evidence you provided leads me to believe the second server is
> not connecting to postfix. Usually this means there is some sort of
> proxy altering the SMTP commands, but there could be other problems,
> such as a forgotten /etc/hosts entry pointing to the wrong IP.

I was once bitten by a sendmail instance which was still installed on
the host, and which took over the port 25 at boot time, making postfix
unable to bind and start.

regards,
jwi

> At any rate, this isn't a postfix problem.
>

>   -- Noel Jones

Re: Message size

M. Rodrigo Monteiro
Enabling debug for the Servers IP, here comes.

Aug  5 15:22:35 intsrv025 postfix/smtpd[1412]: >
SERVER_HOST[SERVER_IP]: 250-ERLAY_HOST
Aug  5 15:22:35 intsrv025 postfix/smtpd[1412]: >
SERVER_HOST[SERVER_IP]: 250-PIPELINING
Aug  5 15:22:35 intsrv025 postfix/smtpd[1412]: >
SERVER_HOST[SERVER_IP]: 250-SIZE 20971520
Aug  5 15:22:35 intsrv025 postfix/smtpd[1412]: >
SERVER_HOST[SERVER_IP]: 250-ETRN
Aug  5 15:22:35 intsrv025 postfix/smtpd[1412]: >
SERVER_HOST[SERVER_IP]: 250-STARTTLS
Aug  5 15:22:35 intsrv025 postfix/smtpd[1412]: >
SERVER_HOST[SERVER_IP]: 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
Aug  5 15:22:35 intsrv025 postfix/smtpd[1412]: >
SERVER_HOST[SERVER_IP]: 250 8BITMIME

So, the Relay it's responding OK.
The problem for sure is on the Server.