Messages Are Refused

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Messages Are Refused

Carlwill
I am noticing that for some reason every time a specific user on my
domain attempts to email a particular domain, the messages are always
queued up. They don't ever appear to send for some reason and I
checked the logs which don't really give any specific reason why he
can't send email to this domain. Do you guys know by looking at what I
can see on my end if this problem is caused by something on my end?

****

mail:~# postqueue -p
-Queue ID- --Size-- ----Arrival Time---- -Sender/Recipient-------
4DB191FA4D50    84627 Mon Mar  2 14:59:56  [hidden email]
             (connect to je.jfcom.mil[140.32.76.138]:25: Connection timed out)
                                         [hidden email]
                                         [hidden email]
                                         [hidden email]

557E41FA4D30    84155 Mon Mar  2 08:19:14  [hidden email]
             (connect to je.jfcom.mil[140.32.76.138]:25: Connection timed out)
                                         [hidden email]
                                         [hidden email]
                                         [hidden email]

CFD8F1FA4D4E    84627 Mon Mar  2 14:59:55  [hidden email]
    (connect to smtpva01.atec.army.mil[147.241.1.18]:25: Connection timed out)
                                         [hidden email]
       (connect to wsgw1.atc.army.mil[134.194.13.55]:25: Connection timed out)
                                         [hidden email]

C9EA81FA4D33    84155 Mon Mar  2 08:19:15  [hidden email]
        (connect to smtpva01.atec.army.mil[147.241.1.18]:25: No route to host)
                                         [hidden email]
       (connect to wsgw2.atc.army.mil[134.194.13.56]:25: Connection timed out)
                                         [hidden email]

054741FA4D55     2029 Mon Mar  2 12:16:04  [hidden email]
             (connect to je.jfcom.mil[140.32.76.138]:25: Connection timed out)
                                         [hidden email]

-- 352 Kbytes in 5 Requests.

****

When I go to my Postfix email server, I checked to see what it
resolves as follows:

mail:~# host je.jfcom.mil
je.jfcom.mil         A 140.32.76.138
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Messages Are Refused

Paweł Leśniak
>
> I am noticing that for some reason every time a specific user on my
> domain attempts to email a particular domain, the messages are always
> queued up. They don't ever appear to send for some reason and I
> checked the logs which don't really give any specific reason why he
> can't send email to this domain. Do you guys know by looking at what I
> can see on my end if this problem is caused by something on my end?
>
> When I go to my Postfix email server, I checked to see what it
> resolves as follows:
>
> mail:~# host je.jfcom.mil
> je.jfcom.mil         A 140.32.76.138
>    
Looks fine. Same IP here.
It looks like they have network problem - I can't connect to their SMTP
server as well.
Maybe it's temporary problem.


Pawel Lesniak


Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Messages Are Refused

Matt Hayes
In reply to this post by Carlwill
Carlos Williams wrote:

> I am noticing that for some reason every time a specific user on my
> domain attempts to email a particular domain, the messages are always
> queued up. They don't ever appear to send for some reason and I
> checked the logs which don't really give any specific reason why he
> can't send email to this domain. Do you guys know by looking at what I
> can see on my end if this problem is caused by something on my end?
>
> ****
>
> mail:~# postqueue -p
> -Queue ID- --Size-- ----Arrival Time---- -Sender/Recipient-------
> 4DB191FA4D50    84627 Mon Mar  2 14:59:56  [hidden email]
>              (connect to je.jfcom.mil[140.32.76.138]:25: Connection timed out)
>                                          [hidden email]
>                                          [hidden email]
>                                          [hidden email]
>

*snip*


Well, the logs don't like... the server isn't responding on port 25.

That would be the answer...


-Matt
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Messages Are Refused

Barney Desmond
In reply to this post by Carlwill
2009/3/5 Carlos Williams <[hidden email]>:

> mail:~# postqueue -p
> -Queue ID- --Size-- ----Arrival Time---- -Sender/Recipient-------
> 4DB191FA4D50    84627 Mon Mar  2 14:59:56  [hidden email]
>             (connect to je.jfcom.mil[140.32.76.138]:25: Connection timed out)
>                                         [hidden email]
>                                         [hidden email]
>                                         [hidden email]
>
> 557E41FA4D30    84155 Mon Mar  2 08:19:14  [hidden email]
>             (connect to je.jfcom.mil[140.32.76.138]:25: Connection timed out)
>                                         [hidden email]
>                                         [hidden email]
>                                         [hidden email]
>
> CFD8F1FA4D4E    84627 Mon Mar  2 14:59:55  [hidden email]
>    (connect to smtpva01.atec.army.mil[147.241.1.18]:25: Connection timed out)
>                                         [hidden email]
>       (connect to wsgw1.atc.army.mil[134.194.13.55]:25: Connection timed out)
>                                         [hidden email]
>
> C9EA81FA4D33    84155 Mon Mar  2 08:19:15  [hidden email]
>        (connect to smtpva01.atec.army.mil[147.241.1.18]:25: No route to host)
>                                         [hidden email]
>       (connect to wsgw2.atc.army.mil[134.194.13.56]:25: Connection timed out)
>                                         [hidden email]
>
> 054741FA4D55     2029 Mon Mar  2 12:16:04  [hidden email]
>             (connect to je.jfcom.mil[140.32.76.138]:25: Connection timed out)
>                                         [hidden email]
>
> -- 352 Kbytes in 5 Requests.

Like it says, the remote servers seem to be "down". Why this is is
anyone's guess. Your postqueue output doesn't show the destination
email address, so I've no idea if those servers are related at all.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Messages Are Refused

Carlwill
Thanks for that info. Can someone also comment on this? I asked a
friend via email and this was his response to the same issue:

******************************

"I used nslookup to verify the address your queue is showing, and it
does correspond to je.jfcom.mil. But a request for the mail-exchangers
for jfcom.mil does not indicate that this host should be receiving
mail. The mail-exchangers for that domain are:

smtp01.jfcom.mil
smtp02.jfcom.mil

So this problem resolves into a new one: how did your Postfix come up
with the name je.jfcom.mil to send messages to? Did the user
explicitly specify that host as a target? Or did Postfix get bad info
from its DNS lookup of MX records? Or did something else happen to
misdirect these messages? Only a good look at the mail headers for the
offending messages will tell you that. When a message finally expires
and is sent back to its originator (or to the postmaster), you will
need to examine the headers to see at what stage of forwarding a host
made the choice to use the wrong mail exchanger. Then further work
will be needed to figure out why."

******************************

My question is how did he find smtp01.jfcom.mil? And more important,
why then is my Postfix server trying to send to a different smtp
address?
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Messages Are Refused

Noel Jones-2
Carlos Williams wrote:

> Thanks for that info. Can someone also comment on this? I asked a
> friend via email and this was his response to the same issue:
>
> ******************************
>
> "I used nslookup to verify the address your queue is showing, and it
> does correspond to je.jfcom.mil. But a request for the mail-exchangers
> for jfcom.mil does not indicate that this host should be receiving
> mail. The mail-exchangers for that domain are:
>
> smtp01.jfcom.mil
> smtp02.jfcom.mil

This is irrelevant.  Your users addressed the mail to
...@je.jfcom.mil, not ...@jfcom.mil.


>
> So this problem resolves into a new one: how did your Postfix come up
> with the name je.jfcom.mil to send messages to? Did the user
> explicitly specify that host as a target?

The user addressed it to @je.jfcom.mil, which is where postfix
is trying to deliver it.  This could be a mistake on your
user's part, but it's not postfix's job to second-guess the
sender.  It would be a horrible mistake for postfix to deliver
mail to a parent domain MX when the specified host is unreachable.

...
> ******************************
>
> My question is how did he find smtp01.jfcom.mil? And more important,
> why then is my Postfix server trying to send to a different smtp
> address?

Your clueless friend looked up the mx for jfcom.mil.  That's
not the recipient domain your user specified.

There is no problem with your server; it's doing exactly what
it's supposed to do.
The possible problems include
  - recipient's mail server is down
  - sender mis-addressed the mail

You could ask your user to verify the address, but other than
that, nothing for you to do.


   -- Noel Jones
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Messages Are Refused

mouss-4
In reply to this post by Carlwill
Carlos Williams a écrit :
> Thanks for that info. Can someone also comment on this? I asked a
> friend via email and this was his response to the same issue:
>
> ******************************
>
> "I used nslookup to verify the address your queue is showing, and it
> does correspond to je.jfcom.mil. But a request for the mail-exchangers
> for jfcom.mil does not indicate that this host should be receiving
> mail.


$ host -t mx je.jfcom.mil
je.jfcom.mil has no MX record

so mail should go the A record address:

$ host -t A je.jfcom.mil
je.jfcom.mil has address 140.32.76.138

which is what your postfix tried.

> The mail-exchangers for that domain are:
>
> smtp01.jfcom.mil
> smtp02.jfcom.mil
>

no, these are the MX for "jfcom.mil". should mail for "joe.com" go to
".com" MX servers if I decide not to setup an MX for joe.com?

> So this problem resolves into a new one: how did your Postfix come up
> with the name je.jfcom.mil to send messages to? Did the user
> explicitly specify that host as a target?

probably so. the recipient is specified by whomever sent the message, be
it a user or a program.

a common case is when you reply to a mail where the From: header used a
"private" domain.

> Or did Postfix get bad info
> from its DNS lookup of MX records?

No.

> Or did something else happen to
> misdirect these messages? Only a good look at the mail headers for the
> offending messages will tell you that.

not really.

> When a message finally expires
> and is sent back to its originator (or to the postmaster), you will
> need to examine the headers to see at what stage of forwarding a host
> made the choice to use the wrong mail exchanger. Then further work
> will be needed to figure out why."
>
> ******************************
>
> My question is how did he find smtp01.jfcom.mil? And more important,
> why then is my Postfix server trying to send to a different smtp
> address?