Messages for unknown mailboxes!

kbajwa
Just installed:

CentOS 5.1
Postfix ) Packages came with CentOS installation +  Updates
Dovecot )     "

PROBLEM: I am getting mail for mailboxes which does not exist on our domain!

Is there a setting which is setup incorrectly?

Kirt

Re: Messages for unknown mailboxes!

Aaron Wolfe

On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 1:54 PM, kbajwa <[hidden email]> wrote:
Just installed:

CentOS 5.1
Postfix ) Packages came with CentOS installation +  Updates
Dovecot )     "

PROBLEM: I am getting mail for mailboxes which does not exist on our domain!

what do you mean by "getting mail"?  attempts to deliver to random addresses are very normal,  although accepting that mail is bad.  what is your system doing?

Is there a setting which is setup incorrectly?

maybe,  post your config..

Kirt

RE: Messages for unknown mailboxes!

kbajwa

I am receiving mail for ‘[hidden email]’ whereas there is NO mailbox of such name. Here is the postfix configuration:

[root@mail ~]# postconf -n

alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases

alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases

broken_sasl_auth_clients = yes

command_directory = /usr/sbin

config_directory = /etc/postfix

daemon_directory = /usr/libexec/postfix

debug_peer_level = 2

home_mailbox = Maildir/

html_directory = no

inet_interfaces = all

mail_owner = postfix

mailq_path = /usr/bin/mailq.postfix

manpage_directory = /usr/share/man

mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain, localhost, $mydomain

mydomain = tib.com

mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8

mynetworks_style = host

myorigin = $mydomain

queue_directory = /var/spool/postfix

readme_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix-2.3.3/README_FILES    notify_classes  =  resource, software

relay_domains =

relayhost =

setgid_group = postdrop

smtpd_recipient_restrictions = permit_mynetworks, permit_sasl_authenticated, reject_unauth_destination

smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes

smtpd_sasl_path = private/auth

smtpd_sasl_type = dovecot

unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 550

[root@mail ~]#

Thanks for your help.

Kirt

Re: Messages for unknown mailboxes!

mouss-2
kbajwa wrote:
> I am receiving mail for '[hidden email]' whereas there is NO mailbox of such
> name. Here is the postfix configuration:

if these attempts are rejected (logs say "NOQUEUE ... Unknown recipient
in ... "), then you are ok.

if you accept messages and later bounce them, then you are not ok (you
would be a backscatter source).

so as long as you don't break recipient validation, just forget about
such attempts. Dogs bark, but the spanish caravan goes on ;-p