Messages from=<> and pflogsumm

Nikolaos Milas
Hello,

In the logs, there are cases where some message seems to be coming from=<>.

This seems to be happening when local Postfix returns some delivery
report to sender (sender delivery status notification).

In such cases PFLOGSUMM, instead of a domain name or full sender
address, displays in the stats "from=<>".

Here are some examples:

Host/Domain Summary: Messages Received
---------------------------------------
  msg cnt   bytes   host/domain
  -------- -------  -----------

       1     1875   somehost.noa.gr
       1     1850   from=<>
       1     1806   chandler.mit.edu

Senders by message count
------------------------
      44   [hidden email]
      43   from=<>
      42   [hidden email]

Senders by message size
-----------------------
    1936k  [hidden email]
    1724k  from=<>
    1633k  [hidden email]

Is it intended behavior? Or in such cases, pflogsumm could report using
some pre-set term e.g. localhost (or the server domain name) and
local-mailer@localhost (or even better the actual address used by
postfix when delivering reports - see below) respectively?

Note: In our system, I see that delivery notifications ("Successful Mail
Delivery Report") seem to be coming from:
Mail Delivery System <[hidden email]>

Can I customize this in Postfix?

Thanks and best regards,
Nick

Re: Messages from=<> and pflogsumm

Jim Seymour-2
On Thu, 02 Feb 2012 23:49:19 +0200
Nikolaos Milas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> In the logs, there are cases where some message seems to be coming
> from=<>.

That's because they are.

[snip]

> In such cases PFLOGSUMM, instead of a domain name or full sender
> address, displays in the stats "from=<>".

That's because the sender is the null sender.  So it was either
display nothing at all, or show "from=<>" to make it clear those were
from the null sender.

[snip]

> Is it intended behavior?
[snip]

Yes.

Regards,
Jim
filtering.  If you reply to this email and your email is