Minor grammar mistake in man 5 postconf

J Doe
Hi,

I noticed a very small grammatical error under: man 5 postconf

Under the configuration parameter: tls_dane_digest_agility under the “maybe” option, the second last sentence states:

    “When this constraint is violated, or any of the digest records are malformed,
    digest algorithm agility will disabled.”

This should be changed to:

    “When this constraint is violated, or any of the digest records are malformed,
    digest algorithm agility will *BE* disabled”

- J

Re: Minor grammar mistake in man 5 postconf

Wietse Venema
J Doe:
> This should be changed to:
>
>     ?When this constraint is violated, or any of the digest records are malformed,
>     digest algorithm agility will *BE* disabled?

Fixed in Postfix 3.2 and later...

Re: Minor grammar mistake in man 5 postconf

J Doe

> On Jan 8, 2018, at 8:55 PM, Wietse Venema <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> J Doe:
>> This should be changed to:
>>
>>    ?When this constraint is violated, or any of the digest records are malformed,
>>    digest algorithm agility will *BE* disabled?
>
> Fixed in Postfix 3.2 and later...
>
>    Wietse

Hi Wietse,

Ah, yes - I should have checked if this was already a part of later versions, as this was: man 5 postconf on Postfix 3.1.

- J

Re: Minor grammar mistake in man 5 postconf

Chris Green-11
On Mon, Jan 08, 2018 at 07:52:16PM -0500, J Doe wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I noticed a very small grammatical error under: man 5 postconf
>
> Under the configuration parameter: tls_dane_digest_agility under the “maybe”
> option, the second last sentence states:
>
>     “When this constraint is violated, or any of the digest records are malformed,
>     digest algorithm agility will disabled.”
>
> This should be changed to:
>
>     “When this constraint is violated, or any of the digest records are malformed,
>     digest algorithm agility will *BE* disabled”

Strictly correctly it should be:-

“When this constraint is violated, or any of the digest records *IS* malformed,
digest algorithm agility will *BE* disabled”

... but that's just me being pedantic.  :-)

Chris Green

[OT]: Grammar, plural quantifiers

Viktor Dukhovni

> On Jan 9, 2018, at 4:48 AM, Chris Green <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> “When this constraint is violated, or any of the digest records *IS* malformed,
> digest algorithm agility will *BE* disabled”
>
> ... but that's just me being pedantic.  :-)

The plural is correct as it stands:

  * If one is malformed ...
  * If any one is malformed ...
  * If one or more are malformed ...
  * If none are malformed ...
  * If some are malformed ...
  * If any are malformed ...
  * If all are malformed ...

Re: [OT]: Grammar, plural quantifiers

Chris Green-11
On Tue, Jan 09, 2018 at 08:55:11AM -0500, Viktor Dukhovni wrote:

> > On Jan 9, 2018, at 4:48 AM, Chris Green <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > “When this constraint is violated, or any of the digest records *IS* malformed,
> > digest algorithm agility will *BE* disabled”
> >
> > ... but that's just me being pedantic.  :-)
>
> The plural is correct as it stands:
>
>   * If one is malformed ...
>   * If any one is malformed ...
>   * If one or more are malformed ...

Possibly

>   * If none are malformed ...

 "... if none is ..." sounds better to me.

>   * If some are malformed ...
>   * If any are malformed ...

I think it's "... if any is ..." though I suppose it could be either.

>   * If all are malformed ...

Looking at grammar references it would seem that current advice is
that either is [sic] possible.

It's not something to argue over in the documentation though!  :-)

Chris Green

Re: Minor grammar mistake in man 5 postconf

@lbutlr
On 9 Jan 2018, at 02:48, Chris Green <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Strictly correctly it should be:-
>
> “When this constraint is violated, or any of the digest records *IS* malformed,
> digest algorithm agility will *BE* disabled”
>
> ... but that's just me being pedantic.  :-)

I considered posting this, but decided I didn't want to go there. However, since you step in it already, yeah, you're right. Trouble is, *most* people will think the right way is the wrong way, so it will probably lead to many "corrections".

--
I loved you when our love was blessed I love you now there's nothing
left But sorrow and a sense of overtime