Multiple "from" fields

lists@lazygranch.com
I hope no one minds if I change the subject since SSL was no longer the topic.

Regarding multiple from fields, I found this on serverfault :
http://serverfault.com/questions/554520/smtp-allows-for-multiple-from-addresses-in-the-rfc-was-this-ever-useful-why-do‎

I could almost see this being legitimate if from the same domain. At least the SPF would be valid.

But I think the argument is weak since the clients don't handle the situation well.

Re: Multiple "from" fields

/dev/rob0
On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 10:15:14PM -0800, [hidden email] wrote:
> Regarding multiple from fields, I found this on serverfault :
> http://serverfault.com/questions/554520/smtp-allows-for-multiple-from-addresses-in-the-rfc-was-this-ever-useful-why-do‎
>
> I could almost see this being legitimate if from the same domain.
> At least the SPF would be valid.
>
> But I think the argument is weak since the clients don't handle the
> situation well.

SMTP does not allow multiple MAIL FROM: addresses, and that's pretty
much all that would be relevant for discussion in this mailing list.
Postfix isn't going to focus on mail content issues, and its own
built-in filtering feature (header_checks(5), body_checks(5)) is
unable to deal effectively with this.

Perhaps you would want to take up this question in a place for mail
content filtering software?
  http://rob0.nodns4.us/

Re: Multiple "from" fields

lists@lazygranch.com
You basically made my point. The subject line of SSL had long become irrelevant. The last few messages which I gather you didn't read based on your post were about multiple "from" fields.

On Wed, Feb 15, 2017 at 10:15:14PM -0800, [hidden email] wrote:
> Regarding multiple from fields, I found this on serverfault :
> http://serverfault.com/questions/554520/smtp-allows-for-multiple-from-addresses-in-the-rfc-was-this-ever-useful-why-do‎
>
> I could almost see this being legitimate if from the same domain.
> At least the SPF would be valid.
>
> But I think the argument is weak since the clients don't handle the
> situation well.

SMTP does not allow multiple MAIL FROM: addresses, and that's pretty
much all that would be relevant for discussion in this mailing list.
Postfix isn't going to focus on mail content issues, and its own
built-in filtering feature (header_checks(5), body_checks(5)) is
unable to deal effectively with this.

Perhaps you would want to take up this question in a place for mail
content filtering software?
http://rob0.nodns4.us/

THREAD CLOSED (was Multiple "from" fields)

Viktor Dukhovni

> On Feb 16, 2017, at 12:12 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> You basically made my point. The subject line of SSL had long become irrelevant. The last few messages which I gather you didn't read based on your post were about multiple "from" fields.

This descending into ad-hominem attacks and has little to no relevance to
Postfix.  Let's stop here.