Multiple virtual domains and hostname

Ibon Castilla Varela-2
Hi there:

I've a Postfix mail server with multiple virtual domains working.
Everything seems fine for reciving emails, but when a user from a
"secondary" domain sends a mail to, for example, gmail, this is been
rejected because of the server origin. Let me illuminate this with an
example:

 - Primary domain (myhostname directive): "mail.example.com"
 - A user from a secondary domain: mail.secondary.com (virtual domain)
sends an email to gmail.com
 - GMail checks SPF, so it sees that the SPF record on the DNS entry
doesn't fit to the address specified in the headers of the outgoing mail
(mail.example.com), and it rejects it.

So, the question is: may I specify in any how a "virtual origin",
depending on the domain who sends an email?.

Cheers, Ibon.

-
Visitame en http://sinanimodelucro.net
Usa GNU/Linux, tus úlceras te lo agradecerán.

Realizado con Software Libre.
--
GPG public key at http://sinanimodelucro.net/txapelgorri.asc
Finderprint: 9402 CEBF 0274 F213 8B88  1209 7B2D 70B3 843E F99C

Re: Multiple virtual domains and hostname

Barney Desmond
Ibon Castilla Varela wrote:
>  - Primary domain (myhostname directive): "mail.example.com"
>  - A user from a secondary domain: mail.secondary.com (virtual domain)
> sends an email to gmail.com
>  - GMail checks SPF, so it sees that the SPF record on the DNS entry
> doesn't fit to the address specified in the headers of the outgoing mail
> (mail.example.com), and it rejects it.
>
> So, the question is: may I specify in any how a "virtual origin",
> depending on the domain who sends an email?.

Are you sure your server is listed in secondary.com's SPF record? You
haven't told us what the domain is, so we can't see this for ourself.

Unless I'm mistaken, SPF doesn't care who postfix claims to be in the
HELO, it just wants to know that your server's IP is designated as
"allowed to send mail that comes from [hidden email]" (ie. MAIL FROM).

Ibon Castilla Varela a écrit :

> Hi there:
>
> I've a Postfix mail server with multiple virtual domains working.
> Everything seems fine for reciving emails, but when a user from a
> "secondary" domain sends a mail to, for example, gmail, this is been
> rejected because of the server origin. Let me illuminate this with an
> example:
>
>  - Primary domain (myhostname directive): "mail.example.com"
>  - A user from a secondary domain: mail.secondary.com (virtual domain)
> sends an email to gmail.com

please use "secondary.example" instead. but you're hiding too much.

>  - GMail checks SPF, so it sees that the SPF record on the DNS entry
> doesn't fit to the address specified in the headers of the outgoing mail
> (mail.example.com), and it rejects it.

so include the server IP in the SPF record for the secondary domain or
remove the SPF record.

> So, the question is: may I specify in any how a "virtual origin",
> depending on the domain who sends an email?.

What is a "virtual origin"?

I suspect you don't really understand what's happening. Please show the
logs of the failure. and show real domains and IPs so that we can see
what is the problem and maybe help you fix it.