Mysql and postfix mail que

JDN

Mysql and postfix mail que

JDN
hello you all

Can I set a mysql database for the mails that our in the mail que to get
send? and map that database to two postfix servers that our behind a F5 load
balancer set active passive?

so if active goes down the second one still could send the mails in the
database.

or should we every time transfer the flat mail files from one host to the
other if active server fails?

Re: Mysql and postfix mail que

John Fawcett
On 03/02/2019 07:51, JDN wrote:
> hello you all
>

> Can I set a mysql database for the mails that our in the mail que to get
> send? and map that database to two postfix servers that our behind a F5 load
> balancer set active passive?
>
> so if active goes down the second one still could send the mails in the
> database.
Postfix mail queue is stored in a file system. Database queue files are
not supported.
> or should we every time transfer the flat mail files from one host to the
> other if active server fails?

Even if you are able to access the files on the failed host you should
not copy the files from one host to another since you could lose email
this way. If you are using shared storage, you can configure another
Postfix instance on a second host to manage the queue directory without
copying. You must ensure that there is only one Postfix instance running
at a time that accesses the same queue directory. It is best to start
the second Postfix instance when you are certain the first one is no
longer accessing the queue directory and be sure that when the first
host comes back up, Postfix does not start automatically.

JDN

On 03/02/2019 07:51, JDN wrote:
> hello you all
>

> Can I set a mysql database for the mails that our in the mail que to get
> send? and map that database to two postfix servers that our behind a F5 load
> balancer set active passive?
>
> so if active goes down the second one still could send the mails in the
> database.
Postfix mail queue is stored in a file system. Database queue files are
not supported.
> or should we every time transfer the flat mail files from one host to the
> other if active server fails?

Even if you are able to access the files on the failed host you should
not copy the files from one host to another since you could lose email
this way. If you are using shared storage, you can configure another
Postfix instance on a second host to manage the queue directory without
copying. You must ensure that there is only one Postfix instance running
at a time that accesses the same queue directory. It is best to start
the second Postfix instance when you are certain the first one is no
longer accessing the queue directory and be sure that when the first
host comes back up, Postfix does not start automatically.

Ø  How do you setup this setup ? you just point the maildir folder to a shared storage folder on the network ?

> Sent from: http://postfix.1071664.n5.nabble.com/Postfix-Users-f2.html

Met vriendelijke groeten

Kind regards

De Petter Mattheas

Technical support engineer – projects team

IT-Department Jan De Nul Dredging N.V.

T +32 (0)53 73 95 53

F +32 (0)53 21 00 31

www.jandenul.com

Re: Mysql and postfix mail que

Wietse Venema
De Petter Mattheas:

> Even if you are able to access the files on the failed host you should
> not copy the files from one host to another since you could lose email
> this way. If you are using shared storage, you can configure another
> Postfix instance on a second host to manage the queue directory without
> copying. You must ensure that there is only one Postfix instance running
> at a time that accesses the same queue directory. It is best to start
> the second Postfix instance when you are certain the first one is no
> longer accessing the queue directory and be sure that when the first
> host comes back up, Postfix does not start automatically.
>
> How do you setup this ? you just point the maildir folder
> to a shared storage folder on the network ?

By mounting the mail queue from a file server. Historically, such
solutions used NFS. Other solutions may exist at the block level.
but those need to be used with great care, otherwise there will be
massive file system corruption.

        Wietse