NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from unknown

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from unknown

Jon Miller-5
I'm seeing a lot of these messages in my logs and would like to know what
this is about.
Ex:
 NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from unknown[203.153.242.20]: 450 4.1.1 <yvonne@p
cp.org.au>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in local recipient
table; from=<[hidden email]> to=<yvonne
@pcp.org.au> proto=ESMTP helo=<pmx.mmtnetworks.com.au>

As I happen to know the users at pcp.org.au the user yvonne does not have
an address, so she wouldn't be in the local recipient table.
What I want to know is why it states "RCPT from unknown[203.153.242.20]"
when the ip address is the mail server.  I would have guessed that the
domain name would be between the [ ].

I've seen this regarding other users and these users are vaild user and
the mail does not get through.
Ex:
Sep 30 21:31:37 mail postfix/smtpd[1242]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from
unknown[203.153.242.20]: 554 5.7.1 <lisar@ii
net.net.au>: Relay access denied; from=<> to=<[hidden email]>
proto=ESMTP helo=<pmx.mmtnetworks.com.au>
Sep 30 21:31:37 mail postfix/smtpd[1242]: disconnect from
unknown[203.153.242.20]

This user is trying to send mail to a user on another domain that we look
after. It's stating relay access denied, the domain this mail is trying to
get to is in the transport map and the relay_domain command in main.cf

Could really need some help and understanding on this.


--
Regards,

-----------------------------
Jon L. Miller MCNE CNE CCNA
East Perth, WA 6004
WA, Australia
--------------------------------

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from unknown

Barney Desmond
2009/10/3 Jon L. Miller <[hidden email]>:

>  NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from unknown[203.153.242.20]: 450 4.1.1 <yvonne@p
> cp.org.au>: Recipient address rejected: User unknown in local recipient
> table; from=<[hidden email]> to=<yvonne
> @pcp.org.au> proto=ESMTP helo=<pmx.mmtnetworks.com.au>
>
> As I happen to know the users at pcp.org.au the user yvonne does not have
> an address, so she wouldn't be in the local recipient table.
> What I want to know is why it states "RCPT from unknown[203.153.242.20]"
> when the ip address is the mail server.  I would have guessed that the
> domain name would be between the [ ].

If memory serves, I think "unknown" just means that it couldn't get a
verified DNS name. Postfix attempts to check IP->name (PTR record) and
then name->IP (A record) to see if it matches.

> I've seen this regarding other users and these users are vaild user and
> the mail does not get through.

This is a different problem.

> Sep 30 21:31:37 mail postfix/smtpd[1242]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from
> unknown[203.153.242.20]: 554 5.7.1 <lisar@ii
> net.net.au>: Relay access denied; from=<> to=<[hidden email]>
> proto=ESMTP helo=<pmx.mmtnetworks.com.au>
> Sep 30 21:31:37 mail postfix/smtpd[1242]: disconnect from
> unknown[203.153.242.20]
>
> This user is trying to send mail to a user on another domain that we look
> after. It's stating relay access denied, the domain this mail is trying to
> get to is in the transport map and the relay_domain command in main.cf

Do you look after iinet.net.au? I have my doubts, but that's not
really relevant right now. Relay access denied generally means that
postfix doesn't think it should be handling mail for that
domain/address, AND the client isn't get a free pass (eg. by being
localhost).

That changes if you've specified iinet.net.au as a relay_domain, but
when you do this, you also need to setup relay_recipient_maps
(http://www.postfix.org/postconf.5.html#relay_recipient_maps). If
you've done that and it's still not working then you'll need to show
us the output of `postconf -n`, and ideally the contents of your
relay_domains map.

As a note, adding iinet.net.au to your transport_maps won't be that
helpful, unless you have a specific path in mind that doesn't involve
sending mail to their designated MXes.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from unknown

Sahil Tandon
In reply to this post by Jon Miller-5
On Sat, 03 Oct 2009, Jon L. Miller wrote:

> I'm seeing a lot of these messages in my logs and would like to know
> what this is about.  Ex: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from
> unknown[203.153.242.20]: 450 4.1.1 <yvonne@p cp.org.au>: Recipient
> address rejected: User unknown in local recipient table;
> from=<[hidden email]> to=<yvonne @pcp.org.au> proto=ESMTP
> helo=<pmx.mmtnetworks.com.au>
>
> As I happen to know the users at pcp.org.au the user yvonne does not
> have an address, so she wouldn't be in the local recipient table.
> What I want to know is why it states "RCPT from
> unknown[203.153.242.20]" when the ip address is the mail server.  I
> would have guessed that the domain name would be between the [ ].

The client is unknown because:

 % host 203.153.242.20
 20.242.153.203.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer 242.20-dslgw.amnet.net.au.
 % host 242.20-dslgw.amnet.net.au
 Host 242.20-dslgw.amnet.net.au not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

> I've seen this regarding other users and these users are vaild user
> and the mail does not get through.  Ex: Sep 30 21:31:37 mail
> postfix/smtpd[1242]: NOQUEUE: reject: RCPT from
> unknown[203.153.242.20]: 554 5.7.1 <lisar@ii net.net.au>: Relay access
> denied; from=<> to=<[hidden email]> proto=ESMTP
> helo=<pmx.mmtnetworks.com.au> Sep 30 21:31:37 mail
> postfix/smtpd[1242]: disconnect from unknown[203.153.242.20]
>
> This user is trying to send mail to a user on another domain that we
> look after. It's stating relay access denied, the domain this mail is
> trying to get to is in the transport map and the relay_domain command
> in main.cf
>
> Could really need some help and understanding on this.

http://www.postfix.org/DEBUG_README.html#mail

... at the very least, show us the output of 'postconf -n' and the
contents of your $transport_maps file(s).

--
Sahil Tandon <[hidden email]>