New SASL error when relaying through gmail

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
25 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New SASL error when relaying through gmail

John Beranek
On Mon, 1 Apr 2019 at 19:47, John Beranek wrote:
>
> Apologies for resurrecting a somewhat old thread, but presumably the
> smtp_reply_filter fix won't work if smtp.gmail.com is now responding like:

By the way, I found this thread as I started having the same issue. I
found that Wietse's "smtp_sasl_mechanism_filter = plain" did fix my
issue too.

Cheers,

John

--
John Beranek                         To generalise is to be an idiot.
http://redux.org.uk/                                 -- William Blake
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New SASL error when relaying through gmail

John Beranek
On Mon, 1 Apr 2019 at 19:55, John Beranek wrote:
>
> On Mon, 1 Apr 2019 at 19:47, John Beranek wrote:
> >
> > Apologies for resurrecting a somewhat old thread, but presumably the
> > smtp_reply_filter fix won't work if smtp.gmail.com is now responding like:
>
> By the way, I found this thread as I started having the same issue. I
> found that Wietse's "smtp_sasl_mechanism_filter = plain" did fix my
> issue too.

OK, maybe ignore me, if I use "openssl s_client" this is what I get in
response to the EHLO:

250 SMTPUTF8
EHLO example.org
250-smtp.gmail.com at your service, [80.209.141.64]
250-SIZE 35882577
250-8BITMIME
250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN XOAUTH2 PLAIN-CLIENTTOKEN OAUTHBEARER XOAUTH
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-PIPELINING
250-CHUNKING
250 SMTPUTF8

John
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New SASL error when relaying through gmail

Noel Jones-2
On 4/1/2019 2:01 PM, John Beranek wrote:

> On Mon, 1 Apr 2019 at 19:55, John Beranek wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, 1 Apr 2019 at 19:47, John Beranek wrote:
>>>
>>> Apologies for resurrecting a somewhat old thread, but presumably the
>>> smtp_reply_filter fix won't work if smtp.gmail.com is now responding like:
>>
>> By the way, I found this thread as I started having the same issue. I
>> found that Wietse's "smtp_sasl_mechanism_filter = plain" did fix my
>> issue too.
>
> OK, maybe ignore me, if I use "openssl s_client" this is what I get in
> response to the EHLO:
>
> 250 SMTPUTF8
> EHLO example.org
> 250-smtp.gmail.com at your service, [80.209.141.64]
> 250-SIZE 35882577
> 250-8BITMIME
> 250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN XOAUTH2 PLAIN-CLIENTTOKEN OAUTHBEARER XOAUTH
> 250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
> 250-PIPELINING
> 250-CHUNKING
> 250 SMTPUTF8
>
> John
>


Right.  They don't offer AUTH to unencrypted connections.


   -- Noel Jones
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New SASL error when relaying through gmail

John Beranek
On Mon, 1 Apr 2019 at 20:04, Noel Jones wrote:

>
> On 4/1/2019 2:01 PM, John Beranek wrote:
> > On Mon, 1 Apr 2019 at 19:55, John Beranek wrote:
> >>
> >> On Mon, 1 Apr 2019 at 19:47, John Beranek wrote:
> >>>
> >>> Apologies for resurrecting a somewhat old thread, but presumably the
> >>> smtp_reply_filter fix won't work if smtp.gmail.com is now responding like:
> >>
> >> By the way, I found this thread as I started having the same issue. I
> >> found that Wietse's "smtp_sasl_mechanism_filter = plain" did fix my
> >> issue too.

Also, I got confused between Wietse and Viktor's solutions!

John

--
John Beranek                         To generalise is to be an idiot.
http://redux.org.uk/                                 -- William Blake
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: New SASL error when relaying through gmail

Viktor Dukhovni
> On Apr 1, 2019, at 3:17 PM, John Beranek <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Also, I got confused between Wietse and Viktor's solutions!

Well, Wietse implemented the SMTP reply filter, and I implemented
the SASL mechanism filter, so, not surprisingly, each of us just
happened to recall the feature that he personally built. :-)

In this instance, I "lucked out" and the SASL-layer filter happened
to be the more direct solution.

20040827

        Feature: smtp_sasl_mechanism_filter restricts what remote
        SMTP server mechanism names the Postfix SMTP client passes
        on to the SASL library.  Victor Duchovni, Morgan Stanley.
        Files: smtp/smtp.c.  smtp/smtp_sasl_glue.c, smtp/smtp_sasl_proto.c.

20091114

        Feature: specify "smtp_reply_filter = pcre:/file/name" to
        replace remote SMTP server reply lines before they are
        parsed by the Postfix SMTP client. This a last-resort tool
        to fix inter-operability problems.  See examples in the
        postconf(5) manual page.  File: smtp/smtp_chat.c.

--
        Viktor.

12