New debian server: install postfix from src or package?

New debian server: install postfix from src or package?

Tom Browder
I’m in the process of setting up a new server and want postfix.

My question is: should I install from source or use the debian packages?

I have installed fro source before, but I would like to ease my maintenance burden as much as I can, but without sacrificing security.

Thanks.

Best regards,

-Tom

Re: New debian server: install postfix from src or package?

Matus UHLAR - fantomas
On 25.03.18 13:48, Tom Browder wrote:
>I’m in the process of setting up a new server and want postfix.
>
>My question is: should I install from source or use the debian packages?

from package.

>I have installed fro source before, but I would like to ease my maintenance
>burden as much as I can, but without sacrificing security.

that's why you should install everything from packages.
Debian handles security very good and you can even automate installations
(see unattended-upgrades package).

The only substitute for good manners is fast reflexes.

On Sun, Mar 25, 2018 at 09:13 Matus UHLAR - fantomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 25.03.18 13:48, Tom Browder wrote:
>I’m in the process of setting up a new server and want postfix.
>
>My question is: should I install from source or use the debian packages?

from package.

Thanks very much, Matus!

Best regards,

-Tom

Re: New debian server: install postfix from src or package?

/dev/rob0
On Sun, Mar 25, 2018 at 01:48:05PM +0000, Tom Browder wrote:
> I'm in the process of setting up a new server and want postfix.
>
> My question is: should I install from source or use the debian
> packages?
>
> I have installed fro source before, but I would like to ease my
> maintenance burden as much as I can, but without sacrificing
> security.

A Debian list could better tell you the benefits of staying within
the Debian packaging system, but I'll talk a bit about living with
Postfix from source code.

It's not bad at all.  In fact I have upgrades basically scripted; the
only thing I have to feed to it is the new version number.

I keep a "BUILD" file in the source which is copied from the previous
version's source directory ("postconf -h mail_version" tells the
script where to find it) which has my "make makefiles" command.  The
"make upgrade" procedure is sure and painless.  I have been doing
this for many years, never had a problem.

A really nice benefit sometimes is that you can get the awesome new
features without the wait.  There have been numerous times I have
seen a new feature discussed here on the mailing list, and I get to
play with it right away.  (Yes, I use development snapshots.)

By leaving the Debian packages you might also have issues with the
Debian init scripts, but those can be worked around.

You also get a vanilla Postfix without Debianisms.  Something to be
said for that, as the Debian chroot is probably the largest single
source of problems for new users on this mailing list and in IRC.
  http://rob0.nodns4.us/

Re: New debian server: install postfix from src or package?

André Rodier
On 25/03/18 14:48, Tom Browder wrote:

> I’m in the process of setting up a new server and want postfix.
>
> My question is: should I install from source or use the debian packages?
>
> I have installed fro source before, but I would like to ease my
> maintenance burden as much as I can, but without sacrificing security.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Best regards,
>
> -Tom

Hello Tom,

Unless you want to hack your system on a regular basis, play with the
latest features of Postfix and can't wait to have them, stay with the
packaged version.

Hosting emails is already challenging enough, so I would not add the
trouble of compiling package from source and introducing possible
incompatibilities on your system with the packages already installed.

Moreover, if it is a live server, you probably don't want to install the
compiler toolchain and facilitate the life of someone who would have
penetrated your system...

The reasons above is why I have started to publish some scripts I had to
build a mail server from scratch, but using only Debian packages.

If you are interested, for documentation purposes or not, it's here:

https://github.com/progmaticltd/homebox

You will see that the Debian packaged version of postfix is reasonably
up to date, and you can have a perfectly functional mail server without
too much trouble.

Kind regards,
André