No List-Id?

Felipe Contreras
Hi,

I was just wondering if there's a reason why there's no List-Id field
sent in this mailing list.

Best regards.

Felipe Contreras

Re: No List-Id?

Ralf Hildebrandt
* Felipe Contreras <[hidden email]>:
> Hi,
>
> I was just wondering if there's a reason why there's no List-Id field
> sent in this mailing list.

Maybe because majordomo doesn't add it?

Use these instead:

--
Ralf Hildebrandt ([hidden email])          [hidden email]
Postfix - Einrichtung, Betrieb und Wartung       Tel. +49 (0)30-450 570-155
mind-boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it."
 - Eugene Spafford.

Re: No List-Id?

Felipe Contreras
On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 11:54 AM, Ralf Hildebrandt
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> * Felipe Contreras <[hidden email]>:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I was just wondering if there's a reason why there's no List-Id field
>> sent in this mailing list.
>
> Maybe because majordomo doesn't add it?
>
> Use these instead:

Well, for example Gmail and Evolution both show a convenient "Filter
messages from this mailing list", only when there's a List-Id field.

This is the first mailing list I see that doesn't have that field, so
I was wondering if there was a reason.

Best regards.

Felipe Contreras

Re: No List-Id?

mouss-2
Felipe Contreras wrote:

> On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 11:54 AM, Ralf Hildebrandt
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> * Felipe Contreras <[hidden email]>:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I was just wondering if there's a reason why there's no List-Id field
>>> sent in this mailing list.
>>>
>> Maybe because majordomo doesn't add it?
>>
>> Use these instead:
>>

> Well, for example Gmail and Evolution both show a convenient "Filter
> messages from this mailing list", only when there's a List-Id field.

While it would be nice to have (RFC 2919) List-Id headers in all mailing
lists, this is not realistic. so MUAs and MDAs should allow filtering
based on any header, and many actually do have this functionality. Note
that this feature is needed for other purposes (example: filtering based
on the various spam filters headers: SA, dspam, bogofilter, postini, ...
etc).

> This is the first mailing list I see that doesn't have that field, so
> I was wondering if there was a reason.

Here are other examples: spam-l, openBSD pf list,
[hidden email], phishtank, ... etc.

NetBSD lists have added a list-id but it is a bit useless (does not
contain the "netbsd.org" part). but there, the Sender header can be
used. The Sender header also works for postfix lists, but you can also
use the other List-* headers as suggested by Ralf.

Re: No List-Id?

Martin Strand-4
On Wed, 04 Jun 2008 13:34:35 +0200, mouss <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Felipe Contreras wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 4, 2008 at 11:54 AM, Ralf Hildebrandt
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Maybe because majordomo doesn't add it?
>>>
>>> Use these instead:
>>>

>> Well, for example Gmail and Evolution both show a convenient "Filter
>> messages from this mailing list", only when there's a List-Id field.
>>

> While it would be nice to have (RFC 2919) List-Id headers in all mailing
> lists, this is not realistic. so MUAs and MDAs should allow filtering
> based on any header, and many actually do have this functionality. Note
> that this feature is needed for other purposes (example: filtering based
> on the various spam filters headers: SA, dspam, bogofilter, postini, ...
> etc).
>
>> This is the first mailing list I see that doesn't have that field, so
>> I was wondering if there was a reason.
>>

> Here are other examples: spam-l, openBSD pf list,
> [hidden email], phishtank, ... etc.
>
> NetBSD lists have added a list-id but it is a bit useless (does not
> contain the "netbsd.org" part). but there, the Sender header can be
> used. The Sender header also works for postfix lists, but you can also
> use the other List-* headers as suggested by Ralf.

Opera seems to filter this mailing list automatically, not sure which header it uses but it works. :)

Martin