[OT] krb5 authorization and special characters

[OT] krb5 authorization and special characters

Ralf Hildebrandt
I'm aware of
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-krb-wg-kerberos-set-passwd-06
which addresses usernames & passwords with special characters (which
we germans have plenty of).

Is this still a draft or has an RFC replaced it in the meantime?

--
Ralf Hildebrandt
  CharitĂ© - Universitätsmedizin Berlin
  [hidden email] | http://www.charite.de

Re: [OT] krb5 authorization and special characters

Wietse Venema
Ralf Hildebrandt:
> I'm aware of
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-krb-wg-kerberos-set-passwd-06
> which addresses usernames & passwords with special characters (which
> we germans have plenty of).
>
> Is this still a draft or has an RFC replaced it in the meantime?

When used in SASL, all commands and responses are BASE64 encoded
so they cannot violate SMTP syntax.

As for SMTP itself, the protocol is limited to 7-bit ASCII unless
client and server negotiate otherwise.  If there is an effort to
extend SMTP with non-ASCII text in commands (as opposed to non-ASCII
text in message content) then I would appreciate a pointer.

(I am not interested in efforts to simply replace ASCII by UTF-8,
because that would result in non-interoperable implementations).

        Wietse