OT lightweight IMAP client

@lbutlr
Figured someone on the list would have an opinion on a very lightweight feature-poor IMAP client. It doesn't need to do much else but access a single IMAP account and be able to forward emails as attachments. Search would be good, but not required. Searching for queueIDs in the Received header would be fantastic.

Primary considerations are fast and as light on memory use as possible and usable from a Mac (command-line is fine). I know mutt can do IMAP but I don't think it can forward messages as attachments though I am probably wrong. Windows 10 might be useful, but not required.

Apple broke AppleScripting signatures in Mail.app, so no random signatures.

Re: OT lightweight IMAP client

/dev/rob0
On Fri, Sep 08, 2017 at 06:29:40PM -0600, @lbutlr wrote:

> Figured someone on the list would have an opinion on a very
> lightweight feature-poor IMAP client. It doesn't need to do
> much else but access a single IMAP account and be able to
> forward emails as attachments. Search would be good, but not
> required. Searching for queueIDs in the Received header
> would be fantastic.
>
> Primary considerations are fast and as light on memory use
> as possible and usable from a Mac (command-line is fine). I
> know mutt can do IMAP but I don't think it can forward
> messages as attachments though I am probably wrong.

Correct, you are incorrect. :)  Forwarding as MIME attachment is
default behavior when forwarding mail in mutt.

I don't know about searching Received: headers, but I suspect in
mutt, most things are possible.  They do have a user community
providing help.

> Windows 10 might be useful, but not required.

putty + mutt
  http://rob0.nodns4.us/

Re: OT lightweight IMAP client

Viktor Dukhovni
On Sat, Sep 09, 2017 at 11:28:02AM -0500, /dev/rob0 wrote:

> > Primary considerations are fast and as light on memory use
> > as possible and usable from a Mac (command-line is fine). I
> > know mutt can do IMAP but I don't think it can forward
> > messages as attachments though I am probably wrong.
>
> Correct, you are incorrect. :)  Forwarding as MIME attachment is
> default behavior when forwarding mail in mutt.

For mutt: add         "set mime_forward=yes" to .muttrc
For Apple's Mail.app: "Forward as Attachment" from the "Message" menu.

On 09 Sep 2017, at 10:28, /dev/rob0 <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 08, 2017 at 06:29:40PM -0600, @lbutlr wrote:
>> Figured someone on the list would have an opinion on a very
>> lightweight feature-poor IMAP client. It doesn't need to do
>> much else but access a single IMAP account and be able to
>> forward emails as attachments. Search would be good, but not
>> required. Searching for queueIDs in the Received header
>> would be fantastic.
>>
>> Primary considerations are fast and as light on memory use
>> as possible and usable from a Mac (command-line is fine). I
>> know mutt can do IMAP but I don't think it can forward
>> messages as attachments though I am probably wrong.
>
> Correct, you are incorrect. :)  Forwarding as MIME attachment is
> default behavior when forwarding mail in mutt.

I'll double check this, but as I recall when i tried to do this in mutt last it would only forward the body of the email and if I wanted to include all of the attachments (including HTML parts) I had to select them, and then the message received was a series of MIME encapsulations and not the original message in its entirety.

OTOH, it was a while ago. Possibly a decade.

Apple broke AppleScripting signatures in Mail.app, so no random signatures.

Re: OT lightweight IMAP client

Viktor Dukhovni

> On Sep 9, 2017, at 9:12 PM, @lbutlr <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I'll double check this, but as I recall when i tried to do this in mutt last it would only forward the body of the email and if I wanted to include all of the attachments (including HTML parts) I had to select them, and then the message received was a series of MIME encapsulations and not the original message in its entirety.
>
> OTOH, it was a while ago. Possibly a decade.

"mime_forward = yes" is not a new Mutt feature, it has been around for at
least a decade, however, it is likely still not the default, you have to
turn it on.

Re: OT lightweight IMAP client

Alan Dobkin
Alpine (formerly PINE) does all of this and a lot more:

Thunderbird is also a good option if you want a GUI, but not so light on memory.

You may want to check out Mulberry as well. It's quite old but was one of the best IMAP clients of its time:
http://MulberryMail.com/

On 09 Sep 2017, at 21:31, Viktor Dukhovni <[hidden email]> wrote:
> "mime_forward = yes" is not a new Mutt feature, it has been around for at
> least a decade, however, it is likely still not the default, you have to
> turn it on.

After looking, even with that setting mutt still sends emails as inline instead of as attachments, which is what I need:

mutt:

Apple Mail.app:

With the former the message is just in the email and it's difficult (if not impossible) fo an end uer to simply take that and treat it as if it was the original email; with the latter it's just an attachment and the user can drag it to a mailbox and it will be exactly as if the mail had been delivered there.

(The forwarding is down out of a backup account for mails that were lost, misplaced, or accidentally trashed by the user).

But this has gone down the rabbit hole enough, I guess.

On 10 Sep 2017, at 15:52, @lbutlr <[hidden email]> wrote:
> But this has gone down the rabbit hole enough, I guess.

> On 10 Sep 2017, at 07:25, Alan Dobkin <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Alpine (formerly PINE) does all of this and a lot more:
>> https://www.washington.edu/alpine/

Sorry, fat fingers. I had completely forgotten about Alpine, will definitely compile that and test it out. I used to use elm back in the 80s, which was similar in many ways to the later Pine.

On Sun, Sep 10, 2017 at 03:52:14PM -0600, @lbutlr wrote:

> On 09 Sep 2017, at 21:31, Viktor Dukhovni <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > "mime_forward = yes" is not a new Mutt feature, it has been around for at
> > least a decade, however, it is likely still not the default, you have to
> > turn it on.
>
> After looking, even with that setting mutt still sends emails as inline instead of as attachments, which is what I need:

What's a MIME attachment is and

That's an attachment of a complete message.  Just because the
disposition (display hint) says inline it is still a separate MIME
part.  Inline is franly more useful.

MUAs should be able to allow users to save "inline" attachments,
but if not, the "Content-Disposition" can also be tweaked in
Mutt.

On 10 Sep 2017, at 16:11, Viktor Dukhovni <[hidden email]> wrote:
> MUAs should be able to allow users to save "inline" attachments,

MUAs *should* do many things they do not do. Especially the more popular ones, which seem to have the least features.

http://blog.lance.tw/posts/2013/08/24/attach-mails-as-attachments-in-mutt/

On Sep 10, 2017, at 8:36 PM, Viktor Dukhovni <[hidden email]> wrote:
> http://blog.lance.tw/posts/2013/08/24/attach-mails-as-attachments-in-mutt/

Thanks!

(I've read a lot of mutt pages and that's the first time I've seen ^D mentioned)

--
Apple broke AppleScripting signatures in Mail.app, so no random signatures.