Odd /var/log/messages

Previous Topic Next Topic
 
classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Odd /var/log/messages

Ronald F. Guilmette-2

I was just perusing the /var/log/messages file on a system I have
that's currently running Postfix 2.5.1 and I saw the following messages:

Jul 29 19:47:42 roomy postfix/smtpd[72875]: gethostby*.getanswer: asked for "ip200.208-100-19.vswitch.static.steadfast.net IN A", got type "DNAME"
Jul 29 22:34:26 roomy postfix/smtpd[36437]: gethostby*.getanswer: asked for "ip40.216-86-147.vswitch.static.steadfast.net IN A", got type "DNAME"
Jul 29 22:42:41 roomy postfix/smtpd[36743]: gethostby*.getanswer: asked for "ip40.216-86-147.vswitch.static.steadfast.net IN A", got type "DNAME"
Jul 30 04:26:11 roomy kernel: pid 68220 (local), uid 125: exited on signal 11

Questions:

1)  What are those "DNAME" messages all about?

2)  Where should I be looking for the coredump file for "local"?

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Odd /var/log/messages

James-368
On Wed, July 30, 2008 3:19 pm, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:
>

> I was just perusing the /var/log/messages file on a system I have
> that's currently running Postfix 2.5.1 and I saw the following messages:
>
> Jul 29 19:47:42 roomy postfix/smtpd[72875]: gethostby*.getanswer: asked
> for "ip200.208-100-19.vswitch.static.steadfast.net IN A", got type
> "DNAME"
> Jul 29 22:34:26 roomy postfix/smtpd[36437]: gethostby*.getanswer: asked
> for "ip40.216-86-147.vswitch.static.steadfast.net IN A", got type "DNAME"
>  Jul 29 22:42:41 roomy postfix/smtpd[36743]: gethostby*.getanswer: asked
> for "ip40.216-86-147.vswitch.static.steadfast.net IN A", got type "DNAME"
>  Jul 30 04:26:11 roomy kernel: pid 68220 (local), uid 125: exited on
> signal 11
>
> Questions:
>
>
> 1)  What are those "DNAME" messages all about?

I think it means postfix tried to look up the A record for the host that
sent mail and didn't find one.
>
>
> 2)  Where should I be looking for the coredump file for "local"?

I have no idea.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Odd /var/log/messages

Jorey Bump
In reply to this post by Ronald F. Guilmette-2
Ronald F. Guilmette wrote, at 07/30/2008 03:19 PM:

> I was just perusing the /var/log/messages file on a system I have
> that's currently running Postfix 2.5.1 and I saw the following messages:
>
> Jul 29 19:47:42 roomy postfix/smtpd[72875]: gethostby*.getanswer: asked for "ip200.208-100-19.vswitch.static.steadfast.net IN A", got type "DNAME"
> Jul 29 22:34:26 roomy postfix/smtpd[36437]: gethostby*.getanswer: asked for "ip40.216-86-147.vswitch.static.steadfast.net IN A", got type "DNAME"
> Jul 29 22:42:41 roomy postfix/smtpd[36743]: gethostby*.getanswer: asked for "ip40.216-86-147.vswitch.static.steadfast.net IN A", got type "DNAME"
> Jul 30 04:26:11 roomy kernel: pid 68220 (local), uid 125: exited on signal 11
>
> Questions:
>
> 1)  What are those "DNAME" messages all about?

DNAME (rfc2672) is like CNAME, but is applied at the domain level:

$ host -t A ip200.208-100-19.vswitch.static.steadfast.net
vswitch.static.steadfast.net has DNAME record static.steadfast.net.
ip200.208-100-19.vswitch.static.steadfast.net is an alias for
ip200.208-100-19.static.steadfast.net.
ip200.208-100-19.static.steadfast.net has address 208.100.19.200

I've never seen these errors from Postfix myself, so maybe it's an issue
with your platform. What is your environment? Can you successfully run
either of the following commands?

  host -t A ip200.208-100-19.vswitch.static.steadfast.net

  dig ip200.208-100-19.vswitch.static.steadfast.net A



Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Odd /var/log/messages

Ronald F. Guilmette-2

In message <[hidden email]>,
Jorey Bump <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Ronald F. Guilmette wrote, at 07/30/2008 03:19 PM:
>> I was just perusing the /var/log/messages file on a system I have
>> that's currently running Postfix 2.5.1 and I saw the following messages:
>>
>> Jul 29 19:47:42 roomy postfix/smtpd[72875]: gethostby*.getanswer: asked for
>"ip200.208-100-19.vswitch.static.steadfast.net IN A", got type "DNAME"
>> Jul 29 22:34:26 roomy postfix/smtpd[36437]: gethostby*.getanswer: asked for
>"ip40.216-86-147.vswitch.static.steadfast.net IN A", got type "DNAME"
>> Jul 29 22:42:41 roomy postfix/smtpd[36743]: gethostby*.getanswer: asked for
>"ip40.216-86-147.vswitch.static.steadfast.net IN A", got type "DNAME"
>> Jul 30 04:26:11 roomy kernel: pid 68220 (local), uid 125: exited on signal 1
>1
>>
>> Questions:
>>
>> 1)  What are those "DNAME" messages all about?
>
>DNAME (rfc2672) is like CNAME, but is applied at the domain level:

Ummm... Yea.  I already Googled and learned that part.

I guess that I didn't phrase my question very well.

What I was really rather wondering was (1) What's wrong with getting
a DNAME back when you asked for an A? and also (2) Why are these
specific errors considered (by Postfix) to be of sufficiently
special importance that it feels the need to put them into my
/var/log/messages file, as opposed to, you know, the /var/log/maillog
file, where (virtually) all other messages from all parts of Postfix
usually go?

>I've never seen these errors from Postfix myself, so maybe it's an issue
>with your platform.

I doubt it.  I'm not running anything particularly out of the ordinary.

> What is your environment?

FreeBSD 6.3, with a freshly installed BIND 9.5.0-P1.

If there's anything the least bit unusual about my setup, it's probably
that new bind release.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Odd /var/log/messages

Wietse Venema
In reply to this post by Ronald F. Guilmette-2
Ronald F. Guilmette:
>
> I was just perusing the /var/log/messages file on a system I have
> that's currently running Postfix 2.5.1 and I saw the following messages:
>
> Jul 29 19:47:42 roomy postfix/smtpd[72875]: gethostby*.getanswer: asked for "ip200.208-100-19.vswitch.static.steadfast.net IN A", got type "DNAME"

That's a libc error message. Postfix has no control over this.

> Jul 30 04:26:11 roomy kernel: pid 68220 (local), uid 125: exited on signal 11

That's not good.

> 2)  Where should I be looking for the coredump file for "local"?

If the core file exists at all, it would be in the queue directory.
You may have to tweak kernel settings to allow coredumps by processes
that change their effective UID.

        Wietse
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Odd /var/log/messages

Ronald F. Guilmette-2

In message <[hidden email]>, you wrote:

>Ronald F. Guilmette:
>>
>> I was just perusing the /var/log/messages file on a system I have
>> that's currently running Postfix 2.5.1 and I saw the following messages:
>>
>> Jul 29 19:47:42 roomy postfix/smtpd[72875]: gethostby*.getanswer: asked for
>"ip200.208-100-19.vswitch.static.steadfast.net IN A", got type "DNAME"
>
>That's a libc error message. Postfix has no control over this.
>
>> Jul 30 04:26:11 roomy kernel: pid 68220 (local), uid 125: exited on signal 1
>1
>
>That's not good.
>
>> 2)  Where should I be looking for the coredump file for "local"?
>
>If the core file exists at all, it would be in the queue directory.
>You may have to tweak kernel settings to allow coredumps by processes
>that change their effective UID.

I'll see if I can get that done ASAP.

If this wasn't just a one-time fluke (e.g. stray gamma rays hitting my
DDR memory) I'll get back to you.

(Actually, given the past track record of reliability of your stuff,
which has been essentially perfect in my experience, I really am
thinking that a stray gamma ray is the mosr likely explanation here.
Either that or gremlins. :-)