Out Of Office Utility

Carlwill
I had a user ask me if the Postfix email server can auto respond w/
"Out of Office" reply rather than do this on his client in case his
machine is rebooted and or shut off. I Google'd this first and found a
program called "Vacation" which appears to be somewhat compatible
however I am not sure since I have neither installed or used it as if
yet. I read the man page and it appears like a process getting up and
running so I thought I would ask here 1st if there is a more efficient
way in Postfix to get this up and running w/o having to install a
separate application / daemon to do what I am looking for.

Thanks for any info!

Re: Out Of Office Utility

Adam Tauno Williams-4
On Mon, 2008-10-06 at 09:51 -0400, Carlos Williams wrote:
> I had a user ask me if the Postfix email server can auto respond w/
> "Out of Office" reply rather than do this on his client in case his
> machine is rebooted and or shut off. I Google'd this first and found a
> program called "Vacation" which appears to be somewhat compatible
> however I am not sure since I have neither installed or used it as if
> yet. I read the man page and it appears like a process getting up and
> running so I thought I would ask here 1st if there is a more efficient
> way in Postfix to get this up and running w/o having to install a
> separate application / daemon to do what I am looking for.

If your delivering to a Cyrus IMAPd server then SIEVE has very nice
facilities to handle vacation messages for you.  Several rather nice
UI/clients are available as well so users can setup their own messages.

Re: Out Of Office Utility

Carlwill
On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 9:59 AM, Adam Tauno Williams
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> If your delivering to a Cyrus IMAPd server then SIEVE has very nice
> facilities to handle vacation messages for you.  Several rather nice
> UI/clients are available as well so users can setup their own messages.

Sadly no. I am delivering to a Dovecot IMAPd.

Re: Out Of Office Utility

Brian Evans - Postfix List
Carlos Williams wrote:

> I had a user ask me if the Postfix email server can auto respond w/
> "Out of Office" reply rather than do this on his client in case his
> machine is rebooted and or shut off. I Google'd this first and found a
> program called "Vacation" which appears to be somewhat compatible
> however I am not sure since I have neither installed or used it as if
> yet. I read the man page and it appears like a process getting up and
> running so I thought I would ask here 1st if there is a more efficient
> way in Postfix to get this up and running w/o having to install a
> separate application / daemon to do what I am looking for.
>
> Thanks for any info!

This depends highly on *your* configuration.

Postfix itself is a mail transfer agent.  It's job is to move mail from
point to point.

vacation is a nice utility if you deliver via local (or other MDA that
checks .forward files)

It's a bit more interesting if you use virtual(8) to deliver since that
does not use .forward files.

If we knew a bit more, we might give a more complete suggestion.

Brian

P.S.Writing your own needs knowledge as you can easily become an
Outscatter source if you don't understand what this can do.

Re: Out Of Office Utility

Mark Goodge

Carlos Williams wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 9:59 AM, Adam Tauno Williams
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> If your delivering to a Cyrus IMAPd server then SIEVE has very nice
>> facilities to handle vacation messages for you.  Several rather nice
>> UI/clients are available as well so users can setup their own messages.
>
> Sadly no. I am delivering to a Dovecot IMAPd.

If you're delivering to an IMAP server, then the simplest option is to
add a webmail interface to it which supports auto-reply. Even if your
end users normally get their mail via a local IMAP client, they can use
the webmail facility to set up an "out of office" response and it will
run even with their local machine switched off. And, you get the benefit
of a webmail interface in case your users ever want it! No changes are
needed to either Postfix or Dovecot, the webmail system is an additional
layer that runs on top of your existing configuration.

There are several webmail systems that include auto-reply either as a
basic feature or an optional extra. Squirrelmail is one that I'm aware
of, but a bit of Googling should find plenty of others.

Mark
http://mark.goodge.co.uk - my pointless blog
http://www.good-stuff.co.uk - my less pointless stuff

Re: Out Of Office Utility

Barney Desmond

Re: Out Of Office Utility

Justin Pasher
Carlos Williams wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 9:59 AM, Adam Tauno Williams
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> If your delivering to a Cyrus IMAPd server then SIEVE has very nice
>> facilities to handle vacation messages for you.  Several rather nice
>> UI/clients are available as well so users can setup their own messages.
>>

> Sadly no. I am delivering to a Dovecot IMAPd.

Check out pysieved. It's a stand-alone sieve daemon that can also hook
into Dovecot authentication. You can then use the avelsieve plugin for
SquirrelMail to allow the end user to configure his filters.

http://www.woozle.org/~neale/src/pysieved/

Justin Pasher

Re: Out Of Office Utility

Carlos Williams a écrit :

> On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 9:59 AM, Adam Tauno Williams
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> If your delivering to a Cyrus IMAPd server then SIEVE has very nice
>> facilities to handle vacation messages for you.  Several rather nice
>> UI/clients are available as well so users can setup their own messages.
>>

> Sadly no. I am delivering to a Dovecot IMAPd.

dovecot deliver (+sieve) can do vacation.

Re: Out Of Office Utility

Barney Desmond a écrit :

> Carlos Williams wrote:
> > I had a user ask me if the Postfix email server can auto respond w/
> > "Out of Office" reply rather than do this on his client in case his
> > machine is rebooted and or shut off.
>
> My first response would be to ask whether they really need it. :)
> This bitterness comes from dealing with too many annoyingly-enterprise-y
> customers who are hell bent on notifying people that they'll be away
> from their desk for more than 45 seconds, lest they be "left out of the
> loop"...
>
> I Google'd this first and found a
> > program called "Vacation" which appears to be somewhat compatible
> > however I am not sure since I have neither installed or used it as if
> > yet. I read the man page and it appears like a process getting up and
> > running so I thought I would ask here 1st if there is a more efficient
> > way in Postfix to get this up and running w/o having to install a
> > separate application / daemon to do what I am looking for.
>
> This isn't something you really "daemonise", postfix just delivers mail.
>
> You can use vacation and formail to do this if you use local delivery.
> We use procmail for local delivery, so something like this in the user's
> .procmailrc works for us. It's quite manual though, not usually
> something users do for themselves. Good for a one-off, but not ongoing.
>
> Delete any ~/.vacation.cache files before starting, and create a
> ~/.autoreply file for the user.
>

> SHELL=/bin/bash

Did you ever heard of "portability"? do you know that not every system
is linux?

> NAME="Yukari Yakumo"
> EMAIL="[hidden email]"
>
> :0 Whc: .vacation.lock
> * !^FROM_DAEMON
> | formail -rD 8192 .vacation.cache
>
> :0 ehc
> | (formail -rt -I"From: $NAME <$EMAIL>"\
>         -A"Precedence: junk (autoreply)"\
>         -A"X-Loop: infobot_reply" ; \
>         cat $HOME/.autoreply\
>    ) | $SENDMAIL -t -f "$EMAIL"

this is borked. you reply to mailing-lists, bulk, junk, ... etc. stop
this now. use the "old" vacation program instead of borked procmail
sorcerer recipes.