Override global @catch-all alias

Mark Constable
I have a global alias @example.com pointing to [hidden email], which
works fine, but when I add a real user, like [hidden email], the global
alias overrides the real entry in virtual_mailbox_maps (mysql). If I
remove the @exmaple.com global alias from virtual_alias_maps then the
"real" mailbox entry in virtual_mailbox_maps works as expected. I'd like
to keep the global @example.com alias as a catchall AFTER looking up
the real virtual_mailbox_maps entry first.

All the rtfm examples I've read so far does not take into account a
global @example.com catch-all alias.

Any suggestions or rtfm links to solve this issue?

Re: Override global @catch-all alias

Matthias Sitte
A nice explanation of your situation/problem can be found here:

https://workaround.org/ispmail/jessie/postfix-mysql

On 07/03/2017 11:32 AM, Mark Constable wrote:

> I have a global alias @example.com pointing to [hidden email], which
> works fine, but when I add a real user, like [hidden email], the global
> alias overrides the real entry in virtual_mailbox_maps (mysql). If I
> remove the @exmaple.com global alias from virtual_alias_maps then the
> "real" mailbox entry in virtual_mailbox_maps works as expected. I'd like
> to keep the global @example.com alias as a catchall AFTER looking up
> the real virtual_mailbox_maps entry first.
> ‎
> All the rtfm examples I've read so far does not take into account a
> global @example.com catch-all alias.
>
> Any suggestions or rtfm links to solve this issue?
> ‎

Re: Override global @catch-all alias

Bill Cole-3
On 3 Jul 2017, at 5:32, Mark Constable wrote:

> I have a global alias @example.com pointing to [hidden email],
> which
> works fine, but when I add a real user, like [hidden email], the
> global
> alias overrides the real entry in virtual_mailbox_maps (mysql). If I
> remove the @exmaple.com global alias from virtual_alias_maps then the
> "real" mailbox entry in virtual_mailbox_maps works as expected.

See the VIRTUAL_README and ADDRESS_CLASS_README files in the Postfix
docs. The short version: virtual alias domains and virtual mailbox
domains are distinct, and virtual aliases are evaluated first.

> I'd like
> to keep the global @example.com alias as a catchall AFTER looking up
> the real virtual_mailbox_maps entry first.

So instead of using virtual_alias_maps just put a @example.com mapping
to the same path as [hidden email] in virtual_mailbox_maps.

> All the rtfm examples I've read so far does not take into account a
> global @example.com catch-all alias.

This is covered in the "Postfix virtual MAILBOX example: separate
domains, non-UNIX accounts" section of Postfix's VIRTUAL_README.

On 04/07/17 14:08, Bill Cole wrote:
>> I have a global alias @example.com pointing to [hidden email],
>> which works fine, but when I add a real user, like [hidden email],
>> the global alias overrides the real entry in virtual_mailbox_maps
>> (mysql).
>
> See the VIRTUAL_README and ADDRESS_CLASS_README files in the Postfix
> docs. The short version: virtual alias domains and virtual mailbox
> domains are distinct, and virtual aliases are evaluated first.

Okay, that's interesting. I am not, so far, using virtual_alias_domains
at all because @other.com -> [hidden email] in virtual_alias_maps=
seems to achieve the same end result?

>> I'd like to keep the global @example.com alias as a catchall AFTER
>> looking up the real virtual_mailbox_maps entry first.
>
> So instead of using virtual_alias_maps just put a @example.com mapping
> to the same path as [hidden email] in virtual_mailbox_maps.

Instead of in virtual_alias_maps? Must try that, thanks.