Ownership question: version 3.2.2

Rich Shepard
   I just upgraded postfix from 3.1.2 to 3.2.2. When I chown postfix of the
/var/spool/postfix/ tree I get these warnings:

# /etc/rc.d/rc.postfix start
postfix/postfix-script: warning: not owned by root: /var/spool/postfix/.
postfix/postfix-script: warning: not owned by root: /var/spool/postfix/pid
postfix/postfix-script: starting the Postfix mail system

   When I chown to root postfix will not start:

postsuper: fatal: scan_dir_push: open directory defer: Permission denied
postfix/postfix-script: fatal: Postfix integrity check failed!

   With the above warning postfix is obviously now running, but I would like
to understand why the warning is present.

Rich

Re: Ownership question: version 3.2.2

Wietse Venema
Rich Shepard:
>    I just upgraded postfix from 3.1.2 to 3.2.2. When I chown postfix of the
> /var/spool/postfix/ tree I get these warnings:
>
> # /etc/rc.d/rc.postfix start
> postfix/postfix-script: warning: not owned by root: /var/spool/postfix/.

Must be owned by root, mode 755.

All that is taken care of with "postfix set-permissions", which
should happen automatically as part of the installation procedure.

Of course no such warranties exist if you do things by hand.

> postfix/postfix-script: warning: not owned by root: /var/spool/postfix/pid
> postfix/postfix-script: starting the Postfix mail system
>
>    When I chown to root postfix will not start:
>
> postsuper: fatal: scan_dir_push: open directory defer: Permission denied
> postfix/postfix-script: fatal: Postfix integrity check failed!

See comment above: run "postfix set-permissons".

>    With the above warning postfix is obviously now running, but I would like
> to understand why the warning is present.

See comment above about doing things by hand.

On Sun, 25 Jun 2017, Wietse Venema wrote:

> Must be owned by root, mode 755.
> All that is taken care of with "postfix set-permissions", which
> should happen automatically as part of the installation procedure.

Wietse,

   OK.

> Of course no such warranties exist if you do things by hand.

   I use a SlackBuilds.org script. Perhaps that's considered 'doing things by
hand,' but it's what I've used for almost two decades.

   I'll contact the package maintainer about running postfix set-permissions.

Thanks,

Rich

Re: Ownership question: version 3.2.2

Rich Shepard
On Sun, 25 Jun 2017, Wietse Venema wrote:

> See comment above: run "postfix set-permissons".

   Thanks, Wietse. I ran 'chown -R root /var/spool/postfix/pid/' with postfix
stopped. When re-started nor warnings were displayed.

Regards,

Rich