Pflogsumm Version 1.1.4 Released

Jim Seymour-2
Pflogsumm version 1.1.3 has been released. This is a Beta release.

From the ChangeLog:

rel-1.1.4 20120201

    Modified for compatibility with -o syslog_name=blurfl/submission
    and -o syslog_name=blurfl/smtps set in master.cf.  (These are the
    defaults in Postfix 2.9 and beyond.)

        N.B.: This doesn't mean you'll get submission and
        smtps broken-out separately from plain old smtp,
        it simply means the presence of the new sub-strings
        won't break Pflogsumm.

    Changed "_"s (underscores) in option switches to "-"s (dashes).
    (Underscores are still accepted.)  Thanks and a tip o' the hat
    to David Landgren (david-at-landgren-dot-net) for the suggestion.

    Removed switches deprecated in 1.1.3 from the docs.

    Improved ISO timestamp parsing to account for optional fractional
    seconds part.  (This is thrown-away by Pflogsumm.)

    Minor updates to the FAQ.

    Replaced "depreciated" with "deprecated" throughout.  Thanks and
    a tip o' the hat to Rob Arista for the heads-up.

    Fixed bug in host normalization function that was broken for
    IPv4 addresses.

I know there's some stuff that's not in there that some of you have
been requesting, but I had to get this one out the door because...
well, it *has* been two years, and the defaults in Postfix 2.9 will
break Pflogsumm 1.1.3 and earlier.

Regards,
Jim
filtering.  If you reply to this email and your email is

Re: Pflogsumm Version 1.1.4 Released

Jim Seymour-2
I *just* realized that, in previous release announcements, I hadn't
been writing about where to get it from.  Doh!

Here you go:

    http://jimsun.linxnet.com/postfix_contrib.html

Regards,
Jim
filtering.  If you reply to this email and your email is

Re: Pflogsumm Version 1.1.4 Released

Jim Seymour-2
On Wed, 1 Feb 2012 11:00:39 -0500
James Seymour <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Pflogsumm version 1.1.3 has been released. This is a Beta release.
[snip]

*sigh*  s/1.1.3/1.1.4/

The Subject: is correct.

Regards,
Jim
filtering.  If you reply to this email and your email is

Re: Pflogsumm Version 1.1.4 Released

James Seymour:
> I know there's some stuff that's not in there that some of you have
> been requesting, but I had to get this one out the door because...
> well, it *has* been two years, and the defaults in Postfix 2.9 will
> break Pflogsumm 1.1.3 and earlier.

Thanks, Jim.

Re: Pflogsumm Version 1.1.4 Released

Jim Seymour-2
On Wed, 1 Feb 2012 11:23:46 -0500 (EST)
Wietse Venema <[hidden email]> wrote:

[snip]

> Thanks, Jim.

You're welcome, Wietse.  And thank *you* for Postfix.

Regards,
Jim
filtering.  If you reply to this email and your email is

Re: Pflogsumm Version 1.1.4 Released

DN Singh
On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 10:07 PM, James Seymour <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, 1 Feb 2012 11:23:46 -0500 (EST)
Wietse Venema <[hidden email]> wrote:

[snip]

> Thanks, Jim.

You're welcome, Wietse.  And thank *you* for Postfix.

Regards,
Jim
filtering.  If you reply to this email and your email is

Thanks both of you for these wonderful tools... :)

Pflogsumm: Specialization in SMTPD connections

Nikolaos Milas
On 1/2/2012 6:00 μμ, James Seymour wrote:

> rel-1.1.4 20120201

Thank you James for offering and supporting this great tool.

I have upgraded to v1.1.4 and it runs smoothly on our CentOS 5.7.

A question on pflogsumm:

Is there a way to include stats on SMTPD connections from particular
origins?

For example, here is an excerpt from a report:

Host/Domain Summary: SMTPD Connections
---------------------------------------
connections time conn. avg./conn. max. time host/domain
----------- ---------- ---------- --------- -----------------
2465 4:28:50 7s 296s admin.example.com
104 0:01:01 1s 6s tech.example.com

As you can see, most connections come from admin.example.com, where our
mail gateway server (gw.admin.example.com) lies; that server is the
origin of most of the connections (almost all).

The problem is that if the traffic from the gateway server is not
reported separately, stats for the whole of admin.example.com are in a
way deceptive.

(Note: number of connections is low, since our mail gateway has already
filtered all unwanted connections.)

So, is there a way to specify that we want separate stats e.g. for
gw.admin.example.com? Then, the report would become something like:

Host/Domain Summary: SMTPD Connections
---------------------------------------
connections time conn. avg./conn. max. time host/domain
----------- ---------- ---------- --------- --------------------
2365 4:24:30 7s 296s gw.admin.example.com
100 0:04:50 4s 8s admin.example.com
104 0:01:01 1s 6s tech.example.com

Note: In this report, admin.example.com would/should not include stats
for gw.admin.example.com, for which we want separate stats.

Before closing, a short question: how pflogsumm decides when to display
stats (on SMTPD Connections) for a whole domain rather than for
particular hosts?

Thanks much,
Nick

Re: Pflogsumm: Specialization in SMTPD connections

Jim Seymour-2
On Thu, 02 Feb 2012 22:06:32 +0200
Nikolaos Milas <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 1/2/2012 6:00 μμ, James Seymour wrote:
>
> > rel-1.1.4 20120201
>
> Thank you James for offering and supporting this great tool.

You're welcome.

[snip]

> Is there a way to include stats on SMTPD connections from
> particular origins?

Not built in to Pflogsumm.

[snip]

> Before closing, a short question: how pflogsumm decides when to
> display stats (on SMTPD Connections) for a whole domain rather than
> for particular hosts?

There's a function in there that makes a crude attempt to isolate the
domain or sub-domain from the hostname.  It's taken from whatever the
logfile gives me, which, in turn, is dependent upon whatever the
reverse lookup returns.